[comp.unix.xenix] ST-251 as RLL

neal@mnopltd.UUCP (12/20/89)

We hate to let this drag on.. but we note that Seagate's Warranty on the ST-251
is one year in MFM, But is reduced to 6 months in RLL operation.   Now these
boys are not as dumb as they look.   Why did they reduce the warranty?  Maybe
because they expected a non-trivial number of drives to fail before one year?

The fact that both drives I worked with Failed within days of the warranty
expiration is likely coincidence.   Maybe I was hasty in saying they wouldn't
last;  maybe some of them will.   There is reasonable cause to be suspect of
their longevity.   And good reason to make frequent backups.

Neal Rhodes
MNOP Ltd
Lilburn (atlanta) GA 30247
uunet!emory!jdyx!mnopltd!neal Or uunet!gatech!stiatl!mnopltd!neal

jca@pnet01.cts.com (John C. Archambeau) (12/24/89)

neal@mnopltd.UUCP writes:
>We hate to let this drag on.. but we note that Seagate's Warranty on the ST-251
>is one year in MFM, But is reduced to 6 months in RLL operation.   Now these
>boys are not as dumb as they look.   Why did they reduce the warranty?  Maybe
>because they expected a non-trivial number of drives to fail before one year?
>
>The fact that both drives I worked with Failed within days of the warranty
>expiration is likely coincidence.   Maybe I was hasty in saying they wouldn't
>last;  maybe some of them will.   There is reasonable cause to be suspect of
>their longevity.   And good reason to make frequent backups.

In my fine print it says that the warranty is voided if the drive isn't
formatted as it is specified to be formatted.  Where did you get this idea
that Seagate would even warranty and ST412/506 MFM drive RLL formatted?  The
universal installation drives they still ship with their drives plainly say
this.

     // JCA

 /*
 ** Flames  : /dev/null                     | My opinions are exactly that,
 ** ARPANET : crash!pnet01!jca@nosc.mil     | mine.  Bill Gates couldn't buy
 ** INTERNET: jca@pnet01.cts.com            | it, but he could rent it.  :)
 ** UUCP    : {nosc ucsd hplabs!hd-sdd}!crash!pnet01!jca
 */