[comp.unix.xenix] SCSI and AT bus support?

  A group here has an interesting problem. They have some hardware which
requires a SCSI interface. They have to control it with a 386 box
running an AT type controller. Because the AT type controller is built
into the system replacing it is not an option.

  We are looking for a good solution to the problem. The one we would
like is to get a SCSI driver which runs with standard Xenix. The
alternative is either adding an AT driver to the GT version, or ignoring
the AT controller and supplied ESDI drive to use a SCSI drive off the
controller we have to include anyway.

  Obviously scrapping something we have to buy is not a really good cost
move, so we want to keep the ESDI drive and just run our magic
peripherals off the SCSI controller.

  I would like to hear from anyone who has done this, or anything like
it. We can not qualify other hardware for the system and still meet
delivery schedules, and I can't give much more in the way of details
about just WHAT we are going to do with this setup. It's not military,
just proprietary for now.

that the world is flat!" - anon

neese@adaptex.UUCP (12/19/89)

>  A group here has an interesting problem. They have some hardware which
>requires a SCSI interface. They have to control it with a 386 box
>running an AT type controller. Because the AT type controller is built
>into the system replacing it is not an option.
>
>  We are looking for a good solution to the problem. The one we would
>like is to get a SCSI driver which runs with standard Xenix. The
>alternative is either adding an AT driver to the GT version, or ignoring
>the AT controller and supplied ESDI drive to use a SCSI drive off the
>controller we have to include anyway.
>
>  Obviously scrapping something we have to buy is not a really good cost
>move, so we want to keep the ESDI drive and just run our magic
>peripherals off the SCSI controller.
>
>  I would like to hear from anyone who has done this, or anything like
>it. We can not qualify other hardware for the system and still meet
>delivery schedules, and I can't give much more in the way of details
>about just WHAT we are going to do with this setup. It's not military,
>just proprietary for now.

Bill, I think I understand what you are saying, so here goes.  The SCSI
adapter can coexist with the AT ESDI controller with SCO 2.3GT.  The SCSI
devices become the slave devices and you must boot off the ESDI drive.
But other than that, it sounds like this will solve your problem, that is
if I understand you correctly.

			Roy Neese
			Adaptec Central Field Applications Engineer
			UUCP @ {texbell,attctc}!cpe!adaptex!neese
				merch!adaptex!neese
				uunet!swbatl!texbell!merch!adaptex!neese

jca@pnet01.cts.com (John C. Archambeau) (12/24/89)

davidsen@crdos1.crd.ge.COM (Wm E Davidsen Jr) writes:

>  A group here has an interesting problem. They have some hardware which
>requires a SCSI interface. They have to control it with a 386 box
>running an AT type controller. Because the AT type controller is built
>into the system replacing it is not an option.
>
>  We are looking for a good solution to the problem. The one we would
>like is to get a SCSI driver which runs with standard Xenix. The
>alternative is either adding an AT driver to the GT version, or ignoring
>the AT controller and supplied ESDI drive to use a SCSI drive off the
>controller we have to include anyway.
>
>  Obviously scrapping something we have to buy is not a really good cost
>move, so we want to keep the ESDI drive and just run our magic
>peripherals off the SCSI controller.
>
>  I would like to hear from anyone who has done this, or anything like
>it. We can not qualify other hardware for the system and still meet
>delivery schedules, and I can't give much more in the way of details
>about just WHAT we are going to do with this setup. It's not military,
>just proprietary for now.

If you're talking about the embedded AT hard drive controller such as the one
that's in the ALR PowerFlex, yes, SCO Xenix should work with it.  All of ALR's
machines are certified by SCO to work with their Unix and Xenix products, so
in a nutshell the embedded AT controller is supported.

     // JCA

 /*
 ** Flames  : /dev/null                     | My opinions are exactly that,
 ** ARPANET : crash!pnet01!jca@nosc.mil     | mine.  Bill Gates couldn't buy
 ** INTERNET: jca@pnet01.cts.com            | it, but he could rent it.  :)
 ** UUCP    : {nosc ucsd hplabs!hd-sdd}!crash!pnet01!jca
 */