[comp.unix.xenix] floppy drives and VP/ix

jdw@hpfijdw.HP.COM (Jeff Wood) (12/23/89)

I am using SCO Xenix 2.3.2 and VP/ix 1.0.  I have a 5.25
and 3.5 floppy drives in my system.  My problem occurs when
I try to start vpix.  I get an error message something to
the effect of:

Error 16 cannot open file "/dev/rfd1135ds18" for drive B

The entries for floppy drives in my vpix.cnf are as follows:

A	/dev/rfd096
B	/dev/rfd1135ds18

If I delete either one of the drive entries, it works fine.
It seems I can only have one floppy drive even though the
documentation says I can have two.  Am I doing something wrong???

Jeff

scottd@pnet02.gryphon.com (Scott Deardorff) (12/25/89)

Jeff,
     There is an update available on VP/ix that brings you up to rev 1.1
there may be a fix for your problem in that.  The only other time I have
seen that is if the drive is open in another VP/ix session.
Regards,
Scott D.
scottd@pnet02.gryphon.com

UUCP: {ames!elroy, <routing site>}!gryphon!pnet02!scottd
INET: scottd@pnet02.gryphon.com

bill@bilver.UUCP (Bill Vermillion) (12/27/89)

In article <15030004@hpfijdw.HP.COM> jdw@hpfijdw.HP.COM (Jeff Wood) writes:

>I am using SCO Xenix 2.3.2 and VP/ix 1.0.  I have a 5.25
>and 3.5 floppy drives in my system.  My problem occurs when
>I try to start vpix.  I get an error message something to
>the effect of:

>Error 16 cannot open file "/dev/rfd1135ds18" for drive B

I have found that at one time that long device spec was a killer.  I just
removed them and mknod'ed (is that a word?) new devices (one each for c and b)
with a shorter name.  I was getting problems where the name was too long and
just shortening it fixed it.
I don't know if this has been fixed but it WAS a problem.

--
Bill Vermillion - UUCP: {uiucuxc,hoptoad,petsd}!peora!tarpit!bilver!bill
                      : bill@bilver.UUCP