[net.unix-wizards] Ethernet Controllers/DEUNA/IF11

chris@mddc.UUCP (Chris Maloney) (09/20/84)

I am tring to decide on UNIBUS Ethernet controllers
to be used with 4.2 on 750s.  DEUNA & IF/11 seem to be
pretty nice (price is not all that important for once).
I have Lou Salkinds DEUNA driver and Jim Guyton says he
almost has the IF/11 driver done.  We will be using
the controller to link 750s running a version of 4.2 we
have added kernel based, NEWCASTLE like, code too.
This gives system call access to remote files and to
our kernel based version of the RDS CISAM record management
system.  (It also allows remote execution.)
Any way I need some help deciding which Ethernet controller
to use.  Can you give me any advice?  Do you have any
benchmarks for the DEUNA and/or other controllers?
Are there other controller I should consider?

Thanks,
Chris Maloney
Management Decisions Development Corp.
7209 Dixie Highway
Fairfield, Ohio   45014
(513)874-6464

...{ucbvax,decvax,ihnp4,mhuxi}!cbosgd!mddc!chris		(uucp)
cbosgd!mddc!chris@BERKELEY					(arpa)

medin@ucbvax.ARPA (Milo Medin) (09/23/84)

Dont use the DEUNA!!  Sure, its a fast board, and there are good
drivers for it, but the sucker takes 15 amps of the +5 unibus
power supply!  You can literally cook your dinner on the board.
This greatly decreases the power availiable for other stuff like
muxes and disk controllers, etc...  I recommend the interlan
board.  Its a good well made reliable board at a good price.  I
had to cancel an order of DEUNA's for some vaxen here at NASA
because they needed more power than was available on the systems.
By the way, I had a good look at one a week ago, and the board
is built out of standard TTL.  Who uses standard TTL anymore?
Also, beware of the DEC salespeople, the guy who tried to
sell us the boards didnt realize their power consumption and
designed a system that overran unibus power by 10 AMPS.  When
I showed him the stats for the boards, he recommended we not
buy DEC...

					Milo

kissell@flairvax.UUCP (Kevin Kissell) (09/24/84)

(Don't Panic)

> By the way, I had a good look at one a week ago, and the board
> is built out of standard TTL.  Who uses standard TTL anymore?

I've got a DEUNA sitting here, in front of me, and it seems to have
been built mostly with LS TTL with a few vanilla Schottky parts;
pretty normal, actually.  I suspect that the true reason for it's
admittedly awesome power consuption is the large number of PALs.

Kevin D. Kissell
Fairchild Research Center
Advanced Processor Development
uucp: {ihnp4 decvax}!decwrl!\
                             >flairvax!kissell
    {ucbvax sdcrdcf}!hplabs!/

medin@ucbvax.ARPA (Milo Medin) (09/28/84)

Really?  The DEUNA I had was all standard TTL....  How old is yours?

				Milo

medin@ucbvax.ARPA (09/28/84)

Date:Thu, 27-Sep-84 19:38:46 EDT
Organization:University of California at Berkeley