[comp.unix.xenix] Panics and double panics.

daveh@marob.masa.com (Dave Hammond) (12/29/89)

In article <2599259F.31C0@marob.masa.com> I wrote:
>The system will boot and operate normally for an indeterminate period of
>time, but will eventually panic [...]
>	Kernel Panic - Non-recoverable Kernel Page Fault.
>	Kernel Double Panic - Stack Fault.
> [...]
>10 bits of I/O address decoding
>Wed Dec 27 11:30:03
>
>device    address	vector	dma	comment
>%fpu      -		35	-	type=80387
>%floppy   0x3F2-0x3F7	06	2	unit=0 type=96ds15
>%serial   0x3F8-0x3FF	04	-	unit=0 type=Standard nports=1
>%serial   0x2F8-0x2FF	03	-	unit=1 type=Standard nports=1
>%parallel 0x378-0x37A	07	-	unit=0
>%parallel 0x3BC-0x3BE	07	-	unit=1
>%tape     0x300-0x304	05	1	type=W
>Arnet Smartport with 8 ports on COM4
>%console  -		-	-	unit=mono type=2
>Wed Dec 27 11:30:04
>%disk     0x1F0-0x1F7	36	-	type=W0 unit=0 cyls=1224 hds=7 secs=36

A colleague has questioned the choice of DMA channel 1 for the tape
drive, to which I replied that the tape driver was installed by the
mkdev tape `auto-configure' option (leaving all parameters as zero).

Has anyone experienced problems using DMA channel 1 for a tape drive ?

Has anyone had problems with the `auto' option of mkdev tape ?

Might choice of DMA channel have any effect on the previously mentioned
kernel panics?

--
Dave Hammond
daveh@marob.masa.com

jpp@tygra.UUCP (John Palmer) (12/29/89)

..In article <259A431A.4CAD@marob.masa.com. daveh@marob.masa.com (Dave Hammond) writes:
..In article <2599259F.31C0@marob.masa.com. I wrote:
..The system will boot and operate normally for an indeterminate period of
..time, but will eventually panic [...]
..	Kernel Panic - Non-recoverable Kernel Page Fault.
..	Kernel Double Panic - Stack Fault.
 [...]
..10 bits of I/O address decoding
..Wed Dec 27 11:30:03

.. [...]
.
.Has anyone experienced problems using DMA channel 1 for a tape drive ?
.
.Has anyone had problems with the `auto' option of mkdev tape ?
.
.Might choice of DMA channel have any effect on the previously mentioned
.kernel panics?
.
Yes - I am trying to get a Colorado Memory Systems 40 meg tape drive
to work with my system (386 AT, SCO Xenix 2.3.2) and cannot get the
system to recognize it. I've tried every option available with the
mkdev tape command and still nothing. The tape drive isn't connected through
the floppy controller - it has its own controller board.

--
=  CAT-TALK Conferencing Network, Prototype Computer Conferencing System  =
-  1-800-446-4698, 300/1200/2400 baud, 8/N/1. New users use 'new'         -

campbell@Thalatta.COM (Bill Campbell) (12/30/89)

In article <33@tygra.UUCP> jpp@tygra.UUCP (John Palmer) writes:
>Yes - I am trying to get a Colorado Memory Systems 40 meg tape drive
>to work with my system (386 AT, SCO Xenix 2.3.2) and cannot get the
>system to recognize it. I've tried every option available with the
>mkdev tape command and still nothing. The tape drive isn't connected through
>the floppy controller - it has its own controller board.

The Colorado memory systems drive requires you to use 'mkdev jtape'.
You will be asked to specify whether you want to add or delete the drivers.

Note that you still need to link and install the kernel since the installation
routine only sets up the appropriate ld parameters in /usr/sys/conf/link_xenix.

RTFM

--
....microsoft--\					Bill Campbell; Celestial Software
...uw-beaver-----!thebes!camco!bill	6641 East Mercer Way

jpp@tygra.UUCP (John Palmer) (12/30/89)

Thanks for the advice about the Colorado Memory Systems tape drive. I'm
also trying to get an Irwin 40 meg tape drive to work on our other
machine, which is an AT clone (386-20MHz). I cant seem to get this one
working either. The tape drive is plugged into the floppy controller.
Has anyone had experience with Irwin Drives??