[comp.unix.xenix] The UUCP 'f` Protocol??

vortex@cs.mu.oz.au (Mark Gregson) (12/31/89)

	Hi everyone,
	I am using SCO Xenix ver 2.3.2 on a 386 machine.
	I was wondering if anyone out there has ever managed
	to get the 'f` protocol working under UUCP??
	And if so could anyone please fill me in on how
	it is done.
	I have been having a lot of trouble trying to get
	uucp to work over our local X25 net here.
	I have been informed that I should try using the
	'f` protocol instead of the standard 'g` protocol.

	If anyone can give me ideas/help on this whole
	problem or just the protocol bit I'd really
	appreciate it.

	Regards, Mark Gregson

lamy@hase_1.UUCP (Thomas Lamy) (01/03/90)

In article <2926@murtoa.cs.mu.oz.au> vortex@cs.mu.oz.au (Mark Gregson) writes:

> 	Hi everyone,
> 	I am using SCO Xenix ver 2.3.2 on a 386 machine.
> 	I was wondering if anyone out there has ever managed
> 	to get the 'f` protocol working under UUCP??
> 	And if so could anyone please fill me in on how
> 	it is done.
> 	Regards, Mark Gregson

Hello netlanders,
I have almost the same problem. To get over 300 cps with UUCP and our HSTs,
we need something like e- or f-protocol. If anybody knows where I can get the
sources for a uucico-clone which supports [efg]-protocol, please mail me.
We are about 10 Hosts feeding News with USR HSTs, and as we get all.all for
2 months now, polling is a time-hog...

Thanks in advance for any help.

PS: Please post no sources, 'cause we have to pay for every kB of Mail...
    So I want to be sure to get the sources ONCE.

--
   Thomas Lamy     : lamy@hase_1.UUCP            Beware of programmers carrying
Schoenburgstr. 23  : lamy@hase_1.sub.org         screwdrivers - Chip Salzenberg

larry@nstar.UUCP (Larry Snyder) (01/04/90)

> I have almost the same problem. To get over 300 cps with UUCP and our HSTs,
> we need something like e- or f-protocol. If anybody knows where I can get the
> sources for a uucico-clone which supports [efg]-protocol, please mail me.
> We are about 10 Hosts feeding News with USR HSTs, and as we get all.all for
> 2 months now, polling is a time-hog..

I also have one of the UST HST modems, and while getting Zmodem throughput
as high as 1721 cps with binary and archived files, UUCP transfers average
around 240 cps.  I guess the solution is to use something like proyam with a
script that Zmodems the files?
                uucp: larry@nstar -or- ...!iuvax!ndmath!nstar!larry