[comp.unix.xenix] Need Suggestions; Menu Software

garyb@crpmks.UUCP (Gary Blumenstein) (12/21/89)

Happy Holidays Folks!

Can anyone out there recommend a decent menu generating utility that
will run under XENIX?  We have a need for such a program which will let
us create a fairly extensive set of nested menus.  The program must be
able to exec() as the highest level shell and the interface must be
text-based, consistent, terminal independant, and pleasing to look at.

I've tried XMENU (has nothing to do with X-windows) by Telexpress and
would like to know if anyone else has had experience with other products
such as Fourgen, (which requires Informix to use).  Right now we're using
SCO Lyrix, a word processor with menu capabilities, but we have a
speciallized need to separate these functions and need to identify specific
menuing software.

Thanks for any info you could provide.

--
Gary M. Blumenstein, UNIX Network Administrator // CIBA-GEIGY Corporation USA
Phone (914) 347-4700                    7 Skyline Drive, Hawthorne, NY  10532

bob@consult.UUCP (Bob Willey) (12/24/89)

In article <1102@crpmks.UUCP> garyb@crpmks.UUCP (Gary Blumenstein) writes:
>Can anyone out there recommend a decent menu generating utility that
>will run under XENIX?  We have a need for such a program which will let
>us create a fairly extensive set of nested menus.  The program must be
>able to exec() as the highest level shell and the interface must be
>text-based, consistent, terminal independant, and pleasing to look at.
>Gary M. Blumenstein, UNIX Network Administrator // CIBA-GEIGY Corporation USA
>Phone (914) 347-4700                    7 Skyline Drive, Hawthorne, NY  10532
>FAX   (914) 347-5687                    UUCP  ...uunet!philabs!crpmks!garyb

Gary,
  About the best product we have seen is MenuMagic by TKI, Inc.
It was written by Terry Keene (old president of TRG)
It is very extensive, very flexible, and has a library
of function available (C routines), and can easily be
added to.
It also includes a system administrator shell that is
pretty slick (including routines to check out lp
spoolers and reset and errors in any of the files, etc.)
The last info on them that I had was as follows:
  TKI, Inc.
  P.O. Box 2049
  Roswell, GA  30077
  (404)  640-1515
.
..We are not affiliated with TKI, only trying to pass information on.
.

--
.. Computer Consulting Service     ..    Bob Willey, CDP     ..
.. P.O. Drawer 1690                ..    uunet!consult!bob   ..

fnf@estinc.UUCP (Fred Fish) (12/26/89)

In article <1102@crpmks.UUCP> garyb@crpmks.UUCP (Gary Blumenstein) writes:
>Can anyone out there recommend a decent menu generating utility that
>will run under XENIX?  We have a need for such a program which will let
>us create a fairly extensive set of nested menus.  The program must be
>able to exec() as the highest level shell and the interface must be
>text-based, consistent, terminal independant, and pleasing to look at.

We are using MenuAgent from DSI Communications, Inc and have been happy
with both the performance and support of the product.  The contact info
for DSI is:

	DSI Communications Inc
	333 West Merrick Road
	Valley Stream, NY  11580

	Phone:	(516) 872-3535
	Fax:	(516) 872-3579

Disclaimer:  We have no affiliation with DSI other than as a satisfied
(and royalty paying) customer.

-Fred
--
# Fred Fish, 1835 E. Belmont Drive, Tempe, AZ 85284,  USA
# 1-602-491-0048           asuvax!{nud,mcdphx}!estinc!fnf

jim@bahamut.fsc.com (James O'Connor) (12/27/89)

In article <259@consult.UUCP>, bob@consult.UUCP (Bob Willey) writes:
> In article <1102@crpmks.UUCP> garyb@crpmks.UUCP (Gary Blumenstein) writes:
> >Can anyone out there recommend a decent menu generating utility that
> >will run under XENIX?  We have a need for such a program which will let
> >us create a fairly extensive set of nested menus.  The program must be

I have been following the reponses for this very closely, since we too are
looking for new menu software.  But, I would like to add one more
qualification.

Not only should the product be able to run on Xenix, but should be able, via
source or binary availability, be able to run on other platforms as well.
We are trying to create a single user interface across currently existing
SCO Xenix, SCO Unix, and HP 9000 Model 800's running HP-UX.  There is also
no telling what kind of hardware we will end up with in the future.

Therefore, if anyone knows of a MULTI-VENDOR menu package, or of one that
is well enough written that the authors won't feel threatened by the
suggestion of porting it to a new machine (even when the resources to do the
port are freely offered), please let me know.

(BTW, this article is being posted as follow up to an article which suggested
MenuMagic as a good menu package, which it probably is, and I had hoped to be
able to use it, but it is only available for Xenix, and a conversation with
TKI led a friend of mine to believe that Xenix is all it would ever be
available for, except for perhaps SCO Unix.)

Thank you.
-------------
James B. O'Connor			Work:	jim@tiamat.fsc.com
Data Processing Manager  		Play:   jim@bahamut.fsc.com
Ahlstrom Filtration, Inc.		UUCP:	uunet!tiamat!jim

neal@mnopltd.UUCP (12/29/89)

>> Can anyone out there recommend a decent menu generating utility that
>> will run under XENIX?  We have a need for such a program which will let
>> us create a fairly extensive set of nested menus.  The program must be
>> able to exec() as the highest level shell and the interface must be
>> text-based, consistent, terminal independant, and pleasing to look at.

I have used a user interface package called JAM from a company call JYACC
in NY which could do what you need.  It might be overkill..

JAM has a screen builder/editor which allows you to concoct various screens
which can look like menus or anything else you like.   You can then add
function keys and/or menu bars which can be "threaded" onto still other
screens.

OR you can stuff in DOS or Unix commands to be forked.

OR you can hook in your own C functions and let them be called.   This lets
you chuck in a variety of custom processing.

Of course, you can have customized prompts, context sensitive help, all kinds
of stuff which makes for a really slick looking product.

I used JAM extensively for a proprietary Email system and was quite pleased
with it.    Distribution of your created screens/menus is at no extra charge;
you must however buy one copy of the toolkit for each system you work on.

Lemme know if you want more info.

Neal Rhodes
MNOP Ltd
Lilburn (atlanta) GA 30247
uunet!emory!jdyx!mnopltd!neal Or uunet!gatech!stiatl!mnopltd!neal

bob@consult.UUCP (Bob Willey) (12/29/89)

In article <262@bahamut.fsc.com> jim@bahamut.fsc.com (James O'Connor) writes:
>In article <259@consult.UUCP>, bob@consult.UUCP (Bob Willey) writes:
>> In article <1102@crpmks.UUCP> garyb@crpmks.UUCP (Gary Blumenstein) writes:
>> >Can anyone out there recommend a decent menu generating utility that
>> >will run under XENIX?  We have a need for such a program which will let
>Not only should the product be able to run on Xenix, but should be able, via
>source or binary availability, be able to run on other platforms as well.
>Therefore, if anyone knows of a MULTI-VENDOR menu package, or of one that
>MenuMagic as a good menu package, which it probably is, and I had hoped to be
>able to use it, but it is only available for Xenix, and a conversation with
>TKI led a friend of mine to believe that Xenix is all it would ever be
>available for, except for perhaps SCO Unix.)

I think you observation by your friend was incorrect.
Terry Keene of TKI, (MenuMagic) is currently working on several
ports of MenuMagic at this time (AIX for RT for one).
It would be worth your time to give Terry a call directly to
discuss your needs and application.  He is a very competent UNIX
programmer, and is very open to suggestions.
I am familiar with his work from his previous company, and
his previous product ATvanced Office System, which is the
backbone of the new product MenuMagic. (Only much better, and
not a limited menu program as AOS was.).
We are not affiliated with TKI, other that having used their
products for our clients.
I hope this information is useful to the net,
as there seems to be great interest in this
subject for the UNIX world in general.
There seems to be a lot of possible answers, but few
GOOD solutions.

--

shields@nccn.yorku.ca (Paul Shields) (01/03/90)

I wrote one three years ago and have been using it here at nccn.yorku.ca
ever since.  The Institute for Space and Terrestrial Science adopted it
as its standard U.I. in 1988.

I'll post it to the net if enough people out there want it.

It is...
 - text based;
 - pleasing to look at;
 - terminal independent
	-> makes use of termcap;
	-> is command based, because there is not really any standard
	   for cursor moves.
 - built to guide the computer-illiterate user
	-> case-insensitive,
	-> commands and may be shortest unique string.
 - compact and fast;
 - a consistent menu hierarchy, not limited to a strict tree hierarchy
   (ie: multiple roots and common sub-menus are ok.)
 - easy to configure;
 - loads the menu configuration when it runs, making it customizable on
   a per-user / per-invocation basis;
 - known to run on at least Xenix, MS-DOS, and BSD UNIX platforms;
 - written in C, with emphasis on modularity and portability.

The thing it doesn't do,

>[...] The program must be able to exec() as the highest level shell

It was designed to run under csh, to keep it small in size.  I haven't
encountered problems with using it this way.

I will provide you with full sources (110 KB) and all the documentation
I have, if you'd like to have it.

Please let me know.

--
Paul Shields
Programmer for the Native Computer Communications Network

jim@ic2020.UUCP (Jim Carter) (01/08/90)

in article <9001041152.AA04244@nccn.yorku.ca>, shields@nccn.yorku.ca (Paul Shields) says:
> To: nccn-rnews@nccn.yorku.ca
>
> In article <1102@crpmks.UUCP> garyb@crpmks.UUCP (Gary Blumenstein) writes:
>>Can anyone out there recommend a decent menu generating ...
> I wrote one three years ago ...
> I'll post it to the net if enough people out there want it.

Sounds interesting, Please mail/post I would like to see this.
I would like to replace our simple menus with something that might
be a little more pleasing to the users.
--
Jim Carter (Sequoia Contact Lens,1355 11th Street,Reedley,CA,93654)
{...!csufres!csuf3b!ic2020!jim} 209/638-3939, Fax 209/638-5433