[comp.unix.xenix] Northgate experiences please

barton@holston.UUCP (Barton A. Fisk) (01/05/90)

Would you please email me your experiences with Northgate
both good and bad?

Please excuse me if I'm beating a dead horse.
--
Barton A. Fisk          | UUCP: {attctc,texbell}vector!holston!barton
PO Box 1781             | (PSEUDO) DOMAIN: barton@holston.UUCP

amull@Morgan.COM (Andrew P. Mullhaupt) (01/06/90)

In article <5655@holston.UUCP>, barton@holston.UUCP (Barton A. Fisk) writes:
> Would you please email me your experiences with Northgate
> both good and bad?

We got one. It's great. We popped the pwer supply at one point,
and they sent us one FED Ex right away. (I.E. BEFORE they received the
busted one back... just like they say).  We use the keyboard in our lap
and as a result their newer style OMNI KEY/102 is not so cool, because
the cable often slips out the connector and locks SCO UNIX (V/386 3.2)
right up (dead bang). We talked to Northgate about this and they swapped
us a keyboard (ditto on the Fed Ex). Total down days (since we've owned
it) = 2.

Recommendation: get yourself more than 65Mbyte of disk if you want the
SCO UNIX with Development System. Also: specify that you want a mother
board which can hold more than 4Mbyte of RAM (Even if you don't want
to buy it right away). Not all of their 386 mother boards can hold
more than 4Mbyte on board; and you'll only get one 32 bit slot. If
you have to use it for memory, you can't use it for a killer caching
controller - a definite cramp in the upgrade path.

Overall: Northgate makes Fast systems which are reasonably reliable
but backed by their excellent (helpful and courteous) service, you
don't need to worry about not buying Compaq or Big Blue.

> Please excuse me if I'm beating a dead horse.

Well, I don't know. Are you beating a dead horse?

Later,
Andrew Mullhaupt

caf@omen.UUCP (WA7KGX) (01/08/90)

In article <646@s5.Morgan.COM> amull@Morgan.COM (Andrew P. Mullhaupt) writes:
:and as a result their newer style OMNI KEY/102 is not so cool, because
:the cable often slips out the connector and locks SCO UNIX (V/386 3.2)
:right up (dead bang).

Strange ... I have an Omni Key 102 whose cable is permanently attached
to the keyboard.  I also have an OmniKey PLUS which does have such a
connector, and unplugging it from the keyboard is not fatal.

How if only I could get the documentation on how to use the extra keys
(F13-F15) that I specified in my order  ...

zdb1526@dsachg1.UUCP (Kelly Pearce) (01/08/90)

In article <5655@holston.UUCP>, barton@holston.UUCP (Barton A. Fisk) writes:
> Would you please email me your experiences with Northgate

Please post a summary of your responses on Northgate to the net.

--
Kelly M. Pearce, DLA Systems Automation Center, (801)399-6549, AV 790-0549
UUCP:      ucbvax!tut.cis.ohio-state.edu!dsac!dsachg1!kpearce

jsulliva@cvbnet.UUCP (Jeff Sullivan, x4096 MS 4-2) (01/10/90)

   I have owned a 386/16 VGA system for 8 months or so.
   I bought it with my own money (not companies!) and it's
   one of the best (depreciable asset) investments I've made.
   I would buy from Northgate again, only I'd buy a faster
   machine with more memory. (The 20 mhz machine is now cheaper
   than my 16!). I recommend the 16-bit VGA option and a mouse.

   You should consider getting at least 2M RAM, it's cheaper if
   you buy it right off the bat. If you really want to take adv-
   antage of the 386, you'll want run DESQview/386, Windows/386
   or Unix (more than 2M!).

   Disclaimer: No connection with Northgate, just a happy camper.

   -Jeff
   UUCP	   : {decvax|linus|sun}!cvbnet!jsulliva
   Internet: jsulliva@cvbnet.prime.com