[comp.unix.xenix] moving news area

bob@consult.UUCP (Bob Willey) (01/07/90)

I am attempting to rearrange the filesystems on our system (going to
add an additional drive to the system).  I am going to create the new
drive with the /u filesystem.  What I would like to do, is to move
all the /usr/spool/news/*  files (UUNET, etc.) to /u/spool/news/*
area for simplicity sake.  We have the SCO compiled distribution for
UUNET connection and using rn for a reader.  Can we change a configuration
file somewhere to notify where the mail will be sent?  The documentation
is very poor in this area, and we cannot find anything appropriate.
We do not have a development system loaded at this time (will be loading
after the new filesystem is up and running, (need the space)).
Any assistance would be appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

--
.. Computer Consulting Service     ..    Bob Willey, CDP     ..
.. P.O. Drawer 1690                ..    uunet!consult!bob   ..

jackv@turnkey.gryphon.COM (Jack F. Vogel) (01/08/90)

In article <264@consult.UUCP> bob@consult.UUCP (Bob Willey) writes:

>I am attempting to rearrange the filesystems on our system (going to
>add an additional drive to the system).  I am going to create the new
>drive with the /u filesystem.  What I would like to do, is to move
>all the /usr/spool/news/*  files (UUNET, etc.) to /u/spool/news/*
>area for simplicity sake.  We have the SCO compiled distribution for
>UUNET connection and using rn for a reader.

The various binaries that make up the news system, i.e. inews, batch,
unbatch, etc. have the paths to SPOOLDIR (where the news lives) and
LIBDIR (where the binaries live) and BATCHDIR hardcoded at compile time
so without rebuilding the source you are stuck. In thinking about it, it
might be a useful alteration to the source to get this stuff out of the
environment. But in any case, using SCO's binaries you are going to be
stuck with their paths. I suggest you load the development system, and
rebuild the news source first!

--
Jack F. Vogel			jackv@seas.ucla.edu
AIX Technical Support	              - or -

mark@promark.UUCP (Mark J. DeFilippis) (01/10/90)

In article <6411@turnkey.gryphon.COM>, jackv@turnkey.gryphon.COM (Jack F. Vogel) writes:
> In article <264@consult.UUCP> bob@consult.UUCP (Bob Willey) writes:
>
> >I am attempting to rearrange the filesystems on our system (going to
> >add an additional drive to the system).  I am going to create the new
> >drive with the /u filesystem.  What I would like to do, is to move
> >all the /usr/spool/news/*  files (UUNET, etc.) to /u/spool/news/*
> >area for simplicity sake.  We have the SCO compiled distribution for
> >UUNET connection and using rn for a reader.

You need the sources.  UUNET should have them.  Also, osu-cis has the
sources with the xenix patches.  you can reach them via:

#
# Direct Trailblazer
#
osu-cis Any ACU 19200 1-614-292-5112 in:--in:--in: Uanon
#
# Micom switch 2400 bps
#
osu-cis Any ACU 2400 1-614-292-3124 "" \r\c Name? osu-cis nected \c GO \d\r\d\r\d\r in:--in:--in: Uanon

The version they have is the version I am running.  It was fairly straight
forward to configure and install.

Or if you want, call me at the University, and I will configure the sources
for you, compile them, and slap the whole thing sources and all on either a
5.25 floppy, 9 track 1600 BPI tape, or a QIC-40 cart. tape.
You would just have to tar them off and type "make install".

Mark J. DeFilippis

--
Adelphi University, Garden City, NY 11530                   (516) 663-1170
SA @ Department of Mathematics and Computer Science