[comp.unix.xenix] Who uses 'adb' debugger?

toppin@melpar.UUCP (Doug Toppin X2075) (01/07/90)

I am interested in how many people use the 'adb' debugger
and any comments that they have on it (helpful hints,
useful scripts, complaints, bug reports). If you use
it and have some comment on it please drop me a line or
post. I have been using it a lot lately and am pretty impressed
with its abilities. I noticed that there is not much posted
about it nor is there a newsgroup dedicated to it.

thanks
Doug Toppin
uunet!melpar!toppin

jim@aob.aob.mn.org (Jim Anderson) (01/07/90)

In article <107@melpar.UUCP> toppin@melpar.UUCP (Doug Toppin   X2075) writes:
>I am interested in how many people use the 'adb' debugger
The occasions I use adb depend on the circumstances.  On systems that have
it available, I use dbx.  On other systems, I use cdb.  On other systems,
I use adb.  If I have the core file and the executable file that created
it (and a symbol table exists in the executable), I can find out why a
program core dumped, and I can make changes to a program to prevent that
case and possibly others, from doing so.  The other advantage of adb is
that it exists on many machines, so if I provide a symbol table, I can
determine the cause of a core dump over the phone.
--
Jim Anderson			(612) 636-2869
Anderson O'Brien, Inc		New mail:jim@aob.mn.org

aryeh@eddie.mit.edu (Aryeh M. Weiss) (01/08/90)

>In article <107@melpar.UUCP> toppin@melpar.UUCP (Doug Toppin   X2075) writes:
>>I am interested in how many people use the 'adb' debugger

I use adb frequently because I have used it alot and it gives me information
that sdb does not.  One irritation I have is that when tracing a process,
I am interested in seeing what routines call which, so at a certain breakpoint
I must repeatedly enter a series of keystrokes to show the call stack and
continue on.  What I would like to see in a debugger would be a general
breakpoint macro that will execute a list of commands when a breakpoint
occurs.  Another nice feature would be to a general mechanism to show when
procedures are entered and exited within a certain procedure or range of
addresses without setting explicit breakpoints.

What other debuggers are available (at low cost of course :-) for Xenix anyway?

--
eliot%lees-rif@eddie.mit.edu (Eliot H. Frank)

clement@buengf.bu.edu (Clement Lee) (01/08/90)

Sorry to ask the following, but I need to know the differences
between (I am a beginner on Unix and C):

  + adb
  + cdb
  + sdb
  + gdb (if you have it;  from GNU)

Can anyone tell me or make a list about their uses and their
differences?

Thanks in advance.

- Clement.

--
Internet, CSNET:  clement%buengf.bu.edu@bu-cs.bu.edu
UUCP:  ...!{harvard,mit-eddie}!bu-cs!buengf.bu.edu!clement

satam@ecs.umass.edu (Kirtikumar Satam) (01/10/90)

In article <50200@bu.edu.bu.edu>, clement@buengf.bu.edu (Clement Lee) writes:
> Sorry to ask the following, but I need to know the differences
> between (I am a beginner on Unix and C):
>
>   + adb
>   + cdb
>   + sdb
>   + gdb (if you have it;  from GNU)
>
> Can anyone tell me or make a list about their uses and their
> differences?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> - Clement.
>
> --
> Internet, CSNET:  clement%buengf.bu.edu@bu-cs.bu.edu
> UUCP:  ...!{harvard,mit-eddie}!bu-cs!buengf.bu.edu!clement

I can't claim myself to be an expert but working for while on SCO XENIX 2.3
and ULTRIX, I think I can contribute a little.

On Xenix both adb and sdb are available. adb doesn't allow working with
source code. As I was totally ignorant about 80386 assembly, I found
sdb, the source-level debugger, much more useful. Espacially, while
printing out big structures, unions and lotsa pointers. It had a
very good steping and break-pointing, but watch-points and trace functions
were extremely slow and use to nearly bring down the system.
The 'dbx' on ULTRIX is also a good debugger, but lacks the sophistication
of 'sdb' on SCO. It's really pain to get structures and union value
dumps. "gdb", I suppose is just an enhancement on 'dbx' and thus, carries
some of the short-comings of it.

I would also like to know about 'cdb' etc and how these debuggers fare
in contrast to PC debuggers like codeview and turbo debugger.

-satam (~guru).

Kirtikumar "Mumbaichaa" Satam
INTERNET : satam@ecs.umass.edu
BITNET : satam@umaecs.bitnet
217 Northwood Apts, Sunderland, MA 01375   Tel# 413-665-3222