[comp.unix.xenix] Flow control with HST

pmartin@ucqais.uc.edu (Paul Martin) (01/09/90)

I setup my Xenix/386 system with an HST 9600 bps modem, with the modem
locked at 9600.  The problem is that the rts/cts flow control doesn't
seem to work under Xenix although it works fine under DOS.  I am using
the modem device /dev/tty1A so I figured that it would flow control
correctly.  I could setup the modem to use xon/xoff to handshake but
I don't think that zmodem would like that very much.  Any ideas?
please email your replies.

--
+-----------------------------+-----------------------------+
| Paul Martin                 | Yes I am serious, and       |

larry@nstar.UUCP (Larry Snyder) (01/10/90)

> correctly.  I could setup the modem to use xon/xoff to handshake but
> I don't think that zmodem would like that very much.  Any ideas?

I'm running Zmodem on my HST modems under 386/ix and get as high
as 1710 cps on transfers using XON/XOFF.  Likewise, I get excellent
transfers using Ymodem-G.

                uucp: larry@nstar -or- ...!iuvax!ndmath!nstar!larry

behm@zds-ux.UUCP (Brett Behm) (01/11/90)

In article <2233@ucqais.uc.edu>, pmartin@ucqais.uc.edu (Paul Martin) writes:

> I setup my Xenix/386 system with an HST 9600 bps modem, with the modem
> locked at 9600.  The problem is that the rts/cts flow control doesn't
> seem to work under Xenix although it works fine under DOS.  I am using
> the modem device /dev/tty1A so I figured that it would flow control
> correctly.  I could setup the modem to use xon/xoff to handshake but
> I don't think that zmodem would like that very much.

I've read many articles discussing flow control with modem use.  The
problem arises in what application is going to do the transfer.  Under
cu() it is possible to do flow control by modifying the gettydefs file,
but with UUCP transfers you are under the mercy of uucico() which
does a ioctl() turning off all forms of flow control.  Below is an
example of a stty -a < tty1A (our modem port) during a UUCP transfer
running on Xenix 2.3.2:

speed 9600 baud; line = 0; intr = DEL; quit = ^\; erase = ^H; kill = ^U; eof = ^F; eol = ^A; swtch = ^@
-parenb -parodd cs8 -cstopb hupcl cread -clocal -loblk -ctsflow -rtsflow
-ignbrk -brkint -ignpar -parmrk -inpck -istrip -inlcr -igncr -icrnl -iuclc
-ixon -ixany -ixoff
-isig -icanon min = 6 time = 1 -xcase -echo -echoe -echok -echonl -noflsh
-opost -olcuc -onlcr -ocrnl -onocr -onlret -ofill -ofdel cr0 nl0 tab0 bs0 vt0 ff0

It is up to your port to keep up with the transfer rate or the UUCP protocol
to correct any errors.  Then again if you have the UUCP source, you can
always modify the ioctl().

Brett Behm     Zenith Data Systems

root@gold.UUCP (Christian Seyb) (01/14/90)

pmartin@ucqais.uc.edu (Paul Martin) writes:

>I setup my Xenix/386 system with an HST 9600 bps modem, with the modem
>locked at 9600.  The problem is that the rts/cts flow control doesn't
>seem to work under Xenix although it works fine under DOS.  I am using

You have to put CTSFLOW into your /etc/gettydefs. Don't put RTSFLOW in
your gettydefs - it doesn't work due to a bug in Xenix.

regards Christian
Christian Seyb                Mailbox login: bbs        uucp login: nuucp
Unix Mailbox Filderstadt   ...!unido!nadia!gold!cs      Data: +49-711-776494