[comp.unix.xenix] tape drives

paul@uniblab.UUCP (paul wolmering) (03/25/88)

hello,
 i'm trying to find a 9 track tape drive to run on xenix/386 or
a att 3b2/400, with 800/6250 bpi. if anyone can help me locate one
or can point me in the right direction please let me know.
 also, i need a cassette tape drive with software drivers to run
on a xenix/386 machine. don't ask me what i need it for, i'm to embarrassed
to say.
 oh, please respond - or i'll die.
					paul wolmering
					...!uunet!uniblab!paul

david@bdt.UUCP (David Beckemeyer) (05/12/88)

I've seen cartridge tapes for PCs that claim to "emulate" a floppy
disk, allowing you to use them like an MS-DOS volume.

Does anybody have experience using these with uport or SCO?  Are
there any drivers for them (commercial or PD)?

I have an application for lots of almost-random access on-line data
(writing a bunch of files and then some index information at the end
and being able to update the indexes).  It requires removable media,
so a fixed disk is out.

Please email.  Thanks for any help.
--
David Beckemeyer			| "To understand ranch lingo all yuh
Beckemeyer Development Tools		| have to do is to know in advance what

root@raider.MFEE.TN.US (Bob Reineri) (03/06/89)

I am considering the purchase of a mini cartridge tape drive (DC2000) by
Colorado Memory Systems. The advertiser says "SCO Xenix" compatible. Has
anyone out there had first hand experience with this drive ? This is one
of those QIC-40 format jobs, that use the existing floppy drive controller.
Any comments on performance, or lack thereof, would be greatly appreciated.
(The computer is a Tandy 4000).

On another note. What exactly does determine the capacity of a tape drive ?
From my laymans point of view, it would seem to be the length of the tape
you are using. In other words, if I put a 60mb cartridge in a drive advertised
as 40mb, would I then have 60mb of capacity ? Or is it a function of the
formatting software ? Thanks in advance for any info....

Bob
--
*RaiderNet Public Access, Murfreesboro, TN.  -  Middle Tenn's Unix GateWay*
*Phone: (615)896-8716/(615)896-7905 Mail: BOX 2371, Murfreesboro, TN 37133*

brian@alzabo.UUCP (Brian Hilchie) (03/08/89)

In article <96@raider.MFEE.TN.US> root@raider.MFEE.TN.US (Bob Reineri) writes:
>I am considering the purchase of a mini cartridge tape drive (DC2000) by
>Colorado Memory Systems. The advertiser says "SCO Xenix" compatible.
>Any comments on performance, or lack thereof, would be greatly appreciated.

I bought one of these drives much to my regret.  I've had no problems
with the drive itself,  but the Xenix driver supplied by CMS sucks.
It can only be reliably used in single user mode (no automated late
night backups!);  otherwise sometimes tape operations hang and can't
be stopped even with kill -9.  Once my file system was corrupted.
On top of all that the driver increases the size of the kernel by 100K.
--
Brian Hilchie   <>   brian@alzabo.uucp   <>   uunet!mitel!sce!scs!alzabo!brian

"Mind you, not as bad as the night Archie Pettigrew ate some
sheep's testicles for a bet...God, that bloody sheep kicked him..."

jca@pnet01.cts.com (John C. Archambeau) (11/28/89)

I'm thinking about getting an Archive Viper 150 internal for my AT.  My
question is this...

Will SCO Xenix 286 and 386 get along with the unit with the QIC-02 controller?
I'm hoping that it will, but I know that there are no guarantees in the
computer world, even when one wants to install a very logical choice as a tape
backup system.

                                                // John C. Archambeau

 /*
 **--------------------------------------------------------------------------*
 ** Flames  : /dev/null (on my Minix partition)
 **--------------------------------------------------------------------------*
 ** ARPA    : crash!pnet01!jca@nosc.mil
 ** INET    : jca@pnet01.cts.com
 ** UUCP    : {nosc ucsd hplabs!hd-sdd}!crash!pnet01!jca
 **--------------------------------------------------------------------------*
 ** Note    : My opinions are exactly that...mine.  Bill Gates couldn't buy
 **           my opinion...but he could rent it for a few nanoseconds.  :)
 **--------------------------------------------------------------------------*
 */

root@ozdaltx.UUCP (root) (01/13/90)

We're considering adding a tape drive to the system.  I'd be
interested in opinions, good or bad about drives available to run on
SCO XENIX, 286, Ver 2.2.3.  I have heard Mountain and Colorado
mentioned in the past - prices are certainly reasonable (less than
800.00), but have found that DOS based equipment dosn't always
work well on this OS - not mention the lack of drivers.

Comments and suggestions are certainly welcome.
Thanks
Scotty
-----
AIDS INFORMATION EXCHANGE BBS      (214) 247-2367/247-5609
               "Education is the best weapon"
     {ames,rutgers,texsun,smu}!attctc!ozdaltx!sysop

goer@sophist.uucp (Richard Goerwitz) (01/13/90)

In article <5815@ozdaltx.UUCP> root@ozdaltx.UUCP (root) writes:
>We're considering adding a tape drive to the system....  I have
>heard Mountain and Colorado mentioned....
       ^^^^^^^^
Xenix 386 2.3.1 could be made to recognize a Mountain TD4000
type backup unit with a support level supplement; 2.3.2 includes a
driver.  BUT NOTE WELL:  If you are using a dual floppy system,
you can't daisy chain the backup unit off the alternate drive
the way you can under MS-DOS.  Mountain tape backup units are
nice, easy-to-install units for DOS, but the company isn't in-
terested in supporting Xenix.  Unless SCO itself has updated
the driver, you'll have to forget about that "b:" drive.

   -Richard L. Goerwitz              goer%sophist@uchicago.bitnet
   goer@sophist.uchicago.edu         rutgers!oddjob!gide!sophist!goer

lance@embassy.UUCP (Lance N. Antrim) (01/14/90)

From article <5815@ozdaltx.UUCP>, by root@ozdaltx.UUCP (root):
> We're considering adding a tape drive to the system.  I'd be
> interested in opinions, good or bad about drives available to run on
> SCO XENIX, 286, Ver 2.2.3.  I have heard Mountain and Colorado
> mentioned in the past - prices are certainly reasonable (less than
> 800.00), but have found that DOS based equipment dosn't always
> work well on this OS - not mention the lack of drivers.
>
> Comments and suggestions are certainly welcome.
> Thanks
> Scotty
> -----
> AIDS INFORMATION EXCHANGE BBS      (214) 247-2367/247-5609
>                "Education is the best weapon"
>      {ames,rutgers,texsun,smu}!attctc!ozdaltx!sysop
I have installed a Mountain 4440 40 meg drive in my 80386 system
with Xenix 2.3.2 (AT version).  This setup did not work correctly with
the Mountain supplied xenix driver (which had been developed for an
earlier version of the Xenix system).  I have tried the SCO supplied SLS
for the Mountain 40 meg tape (QIC-40) but I haven't got it working - not
even as close as the old Mountain driver.

I would appreciate any advice.  Mountain told my distributor that SCO
handles the driver for the QIC-40 tapes now, and I believe that SCO
feels that the SLS took care of the problem.  I have tried installing
the SLS twice (even read the instructions both times :-), and gotten the
same result (i.e. on the command "tape status" the cursor transports to
a different dimension and is never heard from again).

Thanks,
Lance

--

Lance Antrim                            Project on Multilateral Negotiation
..!uunet!embassy!lance                  American Academy of Diplomacy

goer@sophist.uucp (Richard Goerwitz) (01/14/90)

In article <131@embassy.UUCP> lance@embassy.UUCP (Lance N. Antrim) writes:
>From article <5815@ozdaltx.UUCP>, by root@ozdaltx.UUCP (root):
>> We're considering adding a tape drive to the system.  I'd be
>> interested in opinions, good or bad about drives available to run on
>> SCO XENIX, 286, Ver 2.2.3.  I have heard Mountain and Colorado
>> mentioned in the past - prices are certainly reasonable....

>I have installed a Mountain 4440 40 meg drive in my 80386 system
>with Xenix 2.3.2 (AT version).  This setup did not work correctly with
>the Mountain supplied xenix driver (which had been developed for an
>earlier version of the Xenix system).  I have tried the SCO supplied SLS
>for the Mountain 40 meg tape (QIC-40) but I haven't got it working - not
>even as close as the old Mountain driver.
>
>I would appreciate any advice.  Mountain told my distributor that SCO
>handles the driver for the QIC-40 tapes now, and I believe that SCO
>feels that the SLS took care of the problem.  I have tried installing
>the SLS twice (even read the instructions both times :-), and gotten the
>same result (i.e. on the command "tape status" the cursor transports to
>a different dimension and is never heard from again).

I quote this whole posting because I went through the same process.
Call Mountain, call SCO, call Mountain, call SCO.  I knew I was in
trouble when the tech at Mountain said that the makers of the OS
should be responsible for the drivers.  I tried to point out that
MS-DOS drivers they distribute were not written by Microsoft, but
rather by them.  Deaf ears.  Anyway, I believe that Mountain has
finally recognized the existence of Xenix and other non DOS users,
and has paid SCO to do the drivers themselves.  If this story is
correct, the drivers should be available this year (soon).

Regarding the previous posting:  I suspect that the problem is that
the people at SCO neglected to mention that the driver, as it now
stands, assumes that no floppy device /dev/fd1 is installed.  The
Mountain DOS drivers permit both to coexist, in other words, while
the Xenix driver does not.  Call Mountain and complain about their
technical support, and then do the same for SCO (if indeed this is
the problem).  This kind of miscommunication really shouldn't hap-
pen.  I've found that it has a lot to do with how on the ball the
person you get on the phone happens to be.  The quality of the sup-
port at Mountain for "alternate" operating systems varies widely.

scotto@crash.cts.com (Scott O'Connell) (01/16/90)

In article <7174@tank.uchicago.edu> goer@sophist.UUCP (Richard Goerwitz) writes:
>In article <5815@ozdaltx.UUCP> root@ozdaltx.UUCP (root) writes:
>>We're considering adding a tape drive to the system....  I have
>>heard Mountain and Colorado mentioned....
>       ^^^^^^^^
>Xenix 386 2.3.1 could be made to recognize a Mountain TD4000
>type backup unit with a support level supplement; 2.3.2 includes a
>driver.  BUT NOTE WELL:  If you are using a dual floppy system,
>you can't daisy chain the backup unit off the alternate drive
>the way you can under MS-DOS.  Mountain tape backup units are
>nice, easy-to-install units for DOS, but the company isn't in-
>terested in supporting Xenix.  Unless SCO itself has updated
>the driver, you'll have to forget about that "b:" drive.

I think you're misleading people about Mountain in general.  They
make more tape drives than just the standard floppy controlled
drives that DOS users are familiar with.

I have been running two Mountain 7150's for a little over a year
now.  They use the QIC-02 interface and are supported by SCO and
Mountain for use with Xenix.  Matter of fact, it was on Mountain's
sales literature that I found out they were supported by SCO.

I am very happy with my Mountain tape drives.
--
Scott O'Connell		UUCP: {nosc, ucsd, hplabs!hp-sdd}!crash!ipars!scotto
			ARPA: crash!ipars!scotto@nosc.mil