[comp.unix.xenix] Computone board for dial in/out modem - anybody make it work

scott@boake2.UUCP (Scott Boake) (01/10/90)

Has anybody been able to make a Computone board work for dial in/out under
SCO Xenix or SCO UNIX?  I've tried and can get it to work one way or the
other but not both.

Has anybody be able to make ANY intelligent I/O card work both ways ?

----Scott

Scott Boake                                       Palantir Systems Inc.
scott@boake2 -or- ..!uunet!pdn!boake2!scott       P.O. Box 2142
(813) 544 - 8152 (voice)                          5030 - 78th Ave North Ste. 10
(813) 544 - 2375 (fax)                            Pinellas Park, FL 34664

sl@van-bc.UUCP (Stuart Lynne) (01/10/90)

In article <278@boake2.UUCP> scott@boake2.UUCP (Scott Boake) writes:
>Has anybody been able to make a Computone board work for dial in/out under
>SCO Xenix or SCO UNIX?  I've tried and can get it to work one way or the
>other but not both.
>
>Has anybody be able to make ANY intelligent I/O card work both ways ?

I have it working (Computone 4 port Intelliport board). But I'm not exactly
thrilled with it. Occasionally the port will hang after dialing out. So I
limit my dialing.

It's not that big a problem. Perhaps once a week, dialing out from one modem
about once per hour. But it shouldn't hang at all. It's also not a reboot
problem. Just have to kill the getty and it start's up ok. If it was any
worse I'd right a script to check and kill as required.

Anyhow the ic_control file I use is:

  ttyi00:
  # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # #
  # Cpu-to-cpu -- receive priority
  # This entry is used for high-speed computer-to-computer connections.
  # All of the IntelliFeatures are disabled for highest throughput.
  # Buffer assignment is skewed toward receive.
  # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # #

  buffers:	receive% = 80

  ttyi01:
	  =ttyi00
  ttyi02:
	  =ttyi00
  ttyi03:
	  =ttyi00

System's file entry

  xxxxx Any ACU 19200 XXX-XXXXU "" in xxxx word xxxx

Device file entry

  ACU ttyi01 - 19200 /usr/lib/uucp/dialTBIT

ttys file

  19ttym01

ls -l /dev/ttyi01 /dev/ttym01

  crw-rw-rw-   1 root     root      63,  1 Jan  9 23:07 /dev/ttyi01
  crw--w--w-   1 uucp     uucp      63,129 Jan  9 20:01 /dev/ttym01

--
Stuart.Lynne@wimsey.bc.ca ubc-cs!van-bc!sl 604-937-7532(voice) 604-939-4768(fax)

In article <278@boake2.UUCP> scott@boake2.UUCP (Scott Boake) writes:

| Has anybody be able to make ANY intelligent I/O card work both ways ?

  One of the systems I feed is doing it with a HUB6.
that the world is flat!" - anon

frankb@usource.SARASOTA.FL.US (Frank Bicknell) (01/11/90)

In article <278@boake2.UUCP> scott@boake2.UUCP (Scott Boake) writes:
> Has anybody been able to make a Computone board work for dial
> in/out under SCO Xenix or SCO UNIX?  I've tried and can get it to
> work one way or the other but not both.
>
> Has anybody be able to make ANY intelligent I/O card work both
> ways ?

We tried with an 8$ board and our distributor told us it
couldn't be done.  Back to COM1 it was.  Most disappointing.

The problem we experienced, as I recall, was that the board did
not properly manipulate the DTR line (left it on all the time, I
believe) so that when the port was disabled, the modem still
answered the line.  This problem led me to ask other questions,
and that was when we discovered it would not work in/out at the
same port.
--
Frank Bicknell
UniSource; 1405 Main St, Ste 709; Sarasota, FL 34236

aaron@bbm.UUCP (Aaron Burns) (01/12/90)

We had to take our modems off the Computone and onto a dumb serial port,
where they worked fine as in/out lines.  I called Computone on Jan 9,
and they have promised to send a bios/driver upgrade that is supposed
to fix the problem.  Our current bios is 3.00 and driver is 4.28.  If
the upgrade fixes the problem, I'll post.  Also if it doesn't... in any
event, free firmware/software upgrades shows that Computone is trying.

--
Aaron 'crash and' Burns      "Nothing I say on the net is binding
Metro Works                   to our corporation"

larry@nstar.UUCP (Larry Snyder) (01/13/90)

> The problem we experienced, as I recall, was that the board did
> not properly manipulate the DTR line (left it on all the time, I
> believe) so that when the port was disabled, the modem still
> answered the line.  This problem led me to ask other questions,
> and that was when we discovered it would not work in/out at the
> same port.

I had an interesting go around with smartboards, and most recently
the Computone Intelliport under Interactive Unix System V.

Currently I have the Intelliport working just dandy with 4 high speed
modems including a Telebit Trailblazer - and all modems are locked at
one baud rate thus allowing the modems to step down to the carrier rate.
This instantly sends /etc/issue out the port when CD goes high and works
fine for bi-directional communications.

Problems that I have come up across include incorrect pin-outs in both the Computone
manual - and wrong information given by their technical support team.  I
ended up swapping pins and using a breakout box (along with help for several
folks who read netnews) and now the modems are all working fine
using XON/XOFF but since ISC doesn't support CTSFLOW in /etc/gettydefs,
I can't get complete hardware handshaking to work bi-directionally.

My system is running very well now - and most recently I installed X (ISC's
release 1.0) and it is amazing how fast the windowing operates even with
the system fully loaded.  The Computone board takes a massive load off
the primary CPU and throughput is very fast.
                uucp: larry@nstar -or- ...!iuvax!ndmath!nstar!larry

asv@gaboon.UUCP (Stan Voket) (01/13/90)

>In article <278@boake2.UUCP> scott@boake2.UUCP (Scott Boake) writes:
>
>| Has anybody be able to make ANY intelligent I/O card work both ways ?

     I am having VERY good luck with the Equinox Megaport with Telebit
     Trailblazers under both SCO Xenix and Interactive unix.

| - Stan Voket, asv@gaboon - OR - ...uunet!hsi!stpstn!gaboon!asv       |
|               Land Line: (203) 746-4489  TELEX 4996516             - |

bblue@crash.cts.com (Bill Blue) (01/13/90)

In article <278@boake2.UUCP> scott@boake2.UUCP (Scott Boake) writes:
>Has anybody been able to make a Computone board work for dial in/out under
>SCO Xenix or SCO UNIX?  I've tried and can get it to work one way or the
>other but not both.

It's broke, Scott.  The Computone drivers have problems with two-way
use (version 3 and up).  The types of problems vary depending on
specifically which driver version you use.  Best to use COM ports for
two way use and Computone ports for inbound or outbound only.  I'm
up to drivers 4.50 BETA and none of the bugs that have existed for
up to 6 months have been fixed.

--Bill

pena@tuura.UUCP (Pentti Soini) (01/13/90)

scott@boake2.UUCP (Scott Boake) writes:

>Has anybody been able to make a Computone board work for dial in/out under
>Has anybody be able to make ANY intelligent I/O card work both ways ?

We are using intelligent Specialix SI-cards under SCO Xenix 2.3.2. We
have 6 modems connected to our 386 system through this card and all
modems work for dial in/out without any problems. Most of our modems are
9600 baud error correction (MNP5/LAPB) Hayes compatible modems. In fact
we have also used SLIP (SCO TCP/IP) over those SI/modem lines with very
good results (0.6 - 0.8 kb/sec!).

--
Pentti Soini					pena@yj.data.nokia.fi
Nokia Data, General Systems, Finland		+358-0-5673987

frank@rsoft.bc.ca (Frank I. Reiter) (01/14/90)

In article <827@bbm.UUCP> aaron@bbm.UUCP (Aaron Burns) writes:

>We had to take our modems off the Computone and onto a dumb serial port,
>where they worked fine as in/out lines.
>[...]
>free firmware/software upgrades shows that Computone is trying.

Sure - they've been "Trying" for years.  I had problems with modem control
on computone boards and struggled with their tech support for weeks before
they admitted things weren't working so well.  This happened about two years
ago.

Arnet products seem to work well for me. (I'm just a happy customer)
Frank I. Reiter              UUCP:  {uunet,ubc-cs}!van-bc!rsoft!frank
Reiter Software Inc.                frank@rsoft.bc.ca,  a2@mindlink.UUCP
Surrey, British Columbia      BBS:  Mind Link @ (604)576-1214, login as Guest

larry@nstar.UUCP (Larry Snyder) (01/14/90)

> In article <278@boake2.UUCP> scott@boake2.UUCP (Scott Boake) writes:
>
> It's broke, Scott.  The Computone drivers have problems with two-way
> use (version 3 and up).  The types of problems vary depending on
> specifically which driver version you use.  Best to use COM ports for

The firmware on my board are 3.00, and I've had luck with both the
4.28 and 4.40 drivers under 386/ix using XON/XOFF.

                uucp: larry@nstar -or- ...!iuvax!ndmath!nstar!larry

john@compugen.UUCP (John Beaudin) (01/14/90)

frankb@usource.SARASOTA.FL.US (Frank Bicknell) writes:

>> Has anybody be able to make ANY intelligent I/O card work both
>> ways ?

I got a Concensys Powerports board to work as an in/out modem under
sco xenix/386. Concensys is located in Toronto, Ontario 416-940-2900

I sometimes do xenix integrations, and have used them a couple of times.
Easy configuration/install & each port allows up to 8 virtual terminals.
Also supports serial printers. Recommended.
--
-- my .signature is awaiting appropriate display technology --

brad@bradf.UUCP (Bradley W. Fisher) (01/14/90)

> > In article <278@boake2.UUCP> scott@boake2.UUCP (Scott Boake) writes:
> >
> The firmware on my board are 3.00, and I've had luck with both the
> 4.28 and 4.40 drivers under 386/ix using XON/XOFF.

Again, I think I sent you e-mail on this subject but perhaps you did not
receive it. The firmware and driver versions you have quoted sound right.
But, remember to use the MODEM device driver ( ie. ttym00 instead of ttyi00 )
and the documentation states that DCD ( data carrier detect ) is on pin 20
instead of the conventional pin 8. Also DTR ( data terminal ready ) is on
pin 8 instead of the conventional pin 20. BACKWARDS!!! This is not an unusual
sitiuation with most of the multiport cards I've used. Why? (IDKICGAA) ie.
I' don't know and I can't get an answer !! (at least from the companies).
Here in the Phoenix Arizona area I have MANY Computone cards running on my
client's machines, and they work as planned, including multiplexers running
down to Tucson.

Really hope this helps ... or at least start's clearing up some of these
many posts concerning Computone/modem problems ...

frankb@usource.SARASOTA.FL.US (Frank Bicknell) (01/14/90)

In article <827@bbm.UUCP> aaron@bbm.UUCP (Aaron Burns) writes:

> in any event, free firmware/software upgrades shows that
> Computone is trying.

You gotta give them credit, they do that.  They have done the
same for me on two separate occasions that I recall.  Equinox
(makers of the Megaport board) did the same thing for me.  I'm
glad to see that sort of thing happening.
--

scotto@crash.cts.com (Scott O'Connell) (01/16/90)

In article <5151@gaboon.UUCP> asv@gaboon.UUCP (Stan Voket) writes:
>>In article <278@boake2.UUCP> scott@boake2.UUCP (Scott Boake) writes:
>>
>>| Has anybody be able to make ANY intelligent I/O card work both ways ?
>>
>     I am having VERY good luck with the Equinox Megaport with Telebit
>     Trailblazers under both SCO Xenix and Interactive unix.

I too have started using the Equinox Megaport.  My only concern at
purchase time was the lack of hardware flow control support by the
Megaport.  Equinox only uses two control signals -- one IN and one
OUT.  The IN control signal is used for CD detection, and the OUT
control signal is used for DTR.

I thought hardware flow control was needed during a UUCP connection
because the CTS light on the modem (a T2500) would always go out and
the sending of data would stop.  After a call to Equinox technical
support, and doing a little reasoning in my head, I decided the
protocol should handle flow control during a UUCP session.  I tried it
and it works great.

I haven't used the Megaport with the T2500 for interactive use.  I
have been using it for direct connect terminals and UUCP dial-in/
dial-out on my Xenix 386 2.3.2 system without *any* problems.
--
Scott O'Connell		UUCP: {nosc, ucsd, hplabs!hp-sdd}!crash!ipars!scotto
			ARPA: crash!ipars!scotto@nosc.mil

kmoore@shiloh.UUCP (kirk moore) (01/16/90)

That is basiclly the way I had to get my Computone board to run. I got a
couple of tech support people that could not help, so I got a break out
box and sat in front of the system for 4 hrs working out the proper
settings.

I have 3 2400 buad modems running, and a printer (laser). I have not had
a day of problems since getting the pin-out right off the break out box.

Kirk Moore

--
Kirk Moore --- Bellevue, WA ---
uunet!pilchuck!dataio!-------\

garyb@gallium.UUCP (Gary Blumenstein) (01/16/90)

In article <278@boake2.UUCP> scott@boake2.UUCP (Scott Boake) writes:
>Has anybody been able to make a Computone board work for dial in/out under
>SCO Xenix or SCO UNIX?  I've tried and can get it to work one way or the
>other but not both.
>
>Has anybody be able to make ANY intelligent I/O card work both ways ?

Dial in/dial out is no problem on the Intelliport boards as long as you're
talking about cu and NOT uucp.  I gave up trying to get the Intelliport
boards to do bi-directional uucp.  Computone claims their boards will do
bi-uucp with their new drivers and firmware but I don't think any of
their customers has this working in a real life situation.

Interestingly enough, bidirectional uucp / modem handling ability on
the old Computone ATvantage-X boards with the OLD driver technology (atx
setup files) works.  We have several of these boards still in use although
they are not the greatest as far as throughput and fancy features.

I don't think Computone even makes these boards with those drivers anymore.
--
Gary M. Blumenstein, UNIX Network Administrator // CIBA-GEIGY Corporation USA
Phone (914) 347-4700                    7 Skyline Drive, Hawthorne, NY  10532