[comp.unix.xenix] Info wanted on Altos 586 system

ludwiga@fbihh.UUCP (Arne Ludwig) (02/02/90)

neal@mnopltd.UUCP writes:
>->I have a (potential) customer who has an Altos 586 system running Xenix
>->What CPU (I suspect an '286) is in there?

>Ho ho ho.  keep going.  like maybe back to a 8mhz 8086 if i remember right.
>(this baby predates the AT...)

Ah no. It is a 10 Mhz 8086, and it's surprisingly fast.
Something around 1500 Dhrystone (1.1) as far as I recall, but at least
quite a few more than what you get on a VAX 11/750, which is still in
use in many places.

>->Is the Xenix a special Altos
>->version; and does it have any quirks?

Not really.
(If you don't count symbolic links, networking and other nice features ;-)
The C compiler is v7-style (e.g. 6-char names) and data is limited to 64k.

What you need is a really fast hard disk and 1M of memory.
The buffer cache on my 512k system is about 50k ...

--
Arne Ludwig
ludwiga@fbihh.informatik.uni-hamburg.de		tmpmbx!tchh!rrzbu!arne