[comp.unix.xenix] Best Chips & Technologies Setup

rfarris@serene.UUCP (Rick Farris) (02/01/90)

I have seen a number of discussions of how to best set up the Chips &
Technology chipset for MS-DOS, but I don't remember seeing any
discussion here.

Would those of you that have 386s with the C&T chipset mind telling
us about your extended set-up?

Should shadow ram be enabled?  Does page-interleaved mode work well
with SCO Unix/XENIX?  Are there any other important parameters?

Rick Farris   RF Engineering  POB M  Del Mar, CA  92014   voice (619) 259-6793
rfarris@serene.uu.net      ...!uunet!serene!rfarris       serene.UUCP 259-7757

steve@wattres.UUCP (Steve Watt) (02/02/90)

In article <1379@serene.UUCP> rfarris@serene.uu.net (Rick Farris) writes:

>Would those of you that have 386s with the C&T chipset mind telling
>us about your extended set-up?
>
>Should shadow ram be enabled?  Does page-interleaved mode work well
>with SCO Unix/XENIX?  Are there any other important parameters?

  I have a Rose Hill 386/25 running SCO UNIX V/386 and Open Desktop.
The most interesting configuration speedup was raising the DMA clock from
SYSCLK/3 to SYSCLK/2.  This DRAMATICALLY improved the floppy transfer rates.
Interleaved mode works well.  There is no way to get the RAM from shadowing
back into general use, even with shadowing off, so I just leave it on (the
memory test runs better than twice as fast, signifigant for an 8MB system).
Otherwise, shadowing makes no difference, since SCO doesn't use the BIOSes
at all.  (They don't work in protected mode)

--
Steve Watt
...!claris!wattres!steve           wattres!steve@claris.com also works.

simon@ms.uky.edu (G. Simon Gales) (02/04/90)

Somone mentioned speeding up the DMA clock.... Well, I tried this on a
NEAT C&T 286 motherboard, and it does speed up floppy access.  But some
high-density diskettes could not be read (under DOS).  All disks which
I'd formatted to super-high capacity (1.5meg 5.25" disks) failed.  Changing
the DMA clock back to normal fixed this.  All of this is under DOS, haven't
tried it under Xenix/Unix yet...

--
Simon Gales@The University of Kentucky
   simon@ms.uky.edu             | 'Fate... protects fools, little children,