[comp.unix.xenix] writing messages to the status line of a terminal

barton@holston.UUCP (Barton A. Fisk) (01/31/90)

Greetings all!

I would like to be able to write short messages to the
status line of our wyse 50 terminals, thereby not inter-
fering with the applications that are running. The environ-
ment is sco Xenix 2.2.

Could someone point me in the right direction? Is it even
possible? Thanks in advance for all replies. I'll post
a summary if the response warrants.

--
Barton A. Fisk          | UUCP: {attctc,texbell}vector!holston!barton
PO Box 1781             | (PSEUDO) DOMAIN: barton@holston.UUCP

soup@penrij.LS.COM (John Campbell) (02/04/90)

In article <5672@holston.UUCP>, barton@holston.UUCP (Barton A. Fisk) writes:

> I would like to be able to write short messages to the
> status line of our wyse 50 terminals, thereby not inter-
> fering with the applications that are running. The environ-
> ment is sco Xenix 2.2.

	Well you won't find this in TERMCAP or TERMINFO!  I think the
	escape sequence is:

		^[F		or 		^[f

	And it is terminated by the next CR or LF or whatever.

	Are you REALLY sure that you wanna do this?  You'll have to
	look at the TERM environment variable to see if this will be
	legal...

--
 John R. Campbell	...!uunet!lgnp1!penrij!soup	  (soup@penrij.LS.COM)
		 "In /dev/null no one can hear you scream"

patrick@chinet.chi.il.us (Patrick A. Townson) (02/05/90)

In article <5672@holston.UUCP> barton@holston.UUCP (Barton A. Fisk) writes:

>Greetings all!
>
>I would like to be able to write short messages to the
>status line of our wyse 50 terminals, thereby not inter-
>fering with the applications that are running. The environ-
>ment is sco Xenix 2.2.

ESC F aaaa CR will write in the host message field, i.e. the upper right
hand corner, top right half of the first line.  'aaaa' is the desired
message up to 46 characters for an 80 column screen or up to 100
characters for a 132 column screen.

What do you want the message there to look like?  Here are the most common
Attribute Codes:

     ESC A 3 attr   (the ESC A part controls this)
                    (the 3 tells terminal we want the host message area)

Then, a few common attributes are:

0 = Normal   1= Blank (no display)   2 = Blink   4 = Reverse   6 = Reverse
and blink   p = Dim

(There are about thirty different attribute combinations on the above)

I hope this helps you.

Patrick Townson

--
Patrick Townson