[comp.unix.xenix] Modem setup

rick@crash.cts.com (Rick Stout) (02/05/90)

In article <12952@cbnewsd.ATT.COM> heneghan@cbnewsd.ATT.COM (joseph.t.heneghan) writes:
>I have installed modems on Unix V 3b2s and 386s. I'm trying to
>install a Hayes 2400 on a Computone Ports Board, which is on a
>Compaq 386 running Xenix. I used the computone install script
>which gives me tty00 through tty07. However, the SCO manual
                ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
            better double check this!
            with SCO Xenix and a Compaq your
            console screens are tty01 through tty10-12
            You switch from screen to screen by holding down the
            Alt key and pressing the Function key corresponding to
            the tty number you want.

>speeks of tty1[a-h] and tty2[a-h]. I set up my Devices file

     Your COM1 port is tty1a (if for a modem use tty1A)
     Your COM2 port is tty2a (if for a modem use tty2A)

>to use a Hayes 2400 running at 1200 baud. After "cu -l/dev/tty05"
>I get a message ~ "ACU not found". If anyone has some experience

     You need to figure out what port your modem is really on first.
     Then put the correct entry in the Devices file.  If you have a
     valid entry in your Devices file, you dont have to specify the
     line to the cu program.  If what your trying to do with above
     cu command is direct connect to the modem to set the registers,
     it should look more like this:

                   cu -s2400 -lttyXX dir

     You should set up your 2400 at 2400.

Hope this helps.
--Rick

steve@wattres.UUCP (Steve Watt) (02/05/90)

In article <1364@crash.cts.com> rick@crash.cts.com (Rick Stout) writes:
->
->In article <12952@cbnewsd.ATT.COM> heneghan@cbnewsd.ATT.COM
->     (joseph.t.heneghan) writes:
->> [Using Computone board]  I used the computone install script
->>which gives me tty00 through tty07. However, the SCO manual
->                ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
->            better double check this!
->            with SCO Xenix and a Compaq your
->            console screens are tty01 through tty10-12
->     Your COM1 port is tty1a (if for a modem use tty1A)
->     Your COM2 port is tty2a (if for a modem use tty2A)
->
->>to use a Hayes 2400 running at 1200 baud. After "cu -l/dev/tty05"
->>I get a message ~ "ACU not found". If anyone has some experience
->

  The Computone AT/X insall scripts make a bunch of devices named
/dev/ttya[0-f].  Setting up for modems involves some changing of the file
/atx/attype.  Read the manual for the current state of attype.  I was using
something like (very sketchy memory): 'ttya0 type* 19200 auto'...

  I did not actually try to get a modem up on that system, but I did use
the hardware handshaking for terminals.  (Useful... When the terminal gets
shut off, it disconnects!)

--
Steve Watt
...!claris!wattres!steve           wattres!steve@claris.com also works.