[comp.unix.xenix] ATI VGA boards compatible with SCO Xenix 286 2.3.2?

bruno@sdcc10.ucsd.edu (Bruce W. Mohler) (02/02/90)

In article <6731@sdcc6.ucsd.edu>, bruno@sdcc10.ucsd.edu, I write:
 > I'm considering upgrading my AST Premium 286 running Xenix 2.3.2
 > to VGA colour.  Because of price/performance, I'm looking at the
 > ATI boards (ATI Prism (USA) or ATI Wonder (Canada)).  However,
 > I've already heard one horror story about an ATI Prism board
 > in a DTK 286 motherboard that did not work with Xenix (I know
 > the guy; he's knowledgeable about PC's so there was some serious
 > or deceptive problem).  I'd rather have my ducks lined up before
 > I fire off my credit card at some retailer.
 >
 > blah, blah, blah...
 >
 > Can any one from SCO comment on whether Xenix will support
 > either ATI board even though they're not on the published list.
 >
 > If I get any e-mail responses, then I'll summarize to this
 > group.
 >
 > Thanks, in advance.
 >
 > --
 > Bruce W. Mohler

As author of the original article, thanks to those who
responded, including:

	Andrew "Race Turtle" Scherpbier
	Barry Comer
	Richard L. Goerwitz
	Larry Snyder

None of them had any problems with the ATI boards.

However, all of these people have 386 systems.  My
example above is specifically for Xenix *2*86 2.3.2
and either of the ATI VGA cards.  Is anyone running
this combination?

Thanks, in advance!

--
Bruce W. Mohler
Systems Programmer (aka Staff Analyst)

timk@xenitec.on.ca (Tim Kuehn) (02/04/90)

article <6879@sdcc6.ucsd.edu> bruno@sdcc10.ucsd.edu (Bruce W. Mohler) writes:
>In article <6731@sdcc6.ucsd.edu>, bruno@sdcc10.ucsd.edu, I write:
> > I'm considering upgrading my AST Premium 286 running Xenix 2.3.2
> > to VGA colour.
...slice!

> > Can any one from SCO comment on whether Xenix will support
> > either ATI board even though they're not on the published list.
>
>As author of the original article, thanks to those who
>responded, including:
>
>	Andrew "Race Turtle" Scherpbier 	Barry Comer
>	Richard L. Goerwitz 			Larry Snyder
>
>None of them had any problems with the ATI boards.
>
>However, all of these people have 386 systems.

Me too. ATI VGA Wonder/512K w/NEC 4D monitor running under 386 Xenix 2.3.2.

>My
>example above is specifically for Xenix *2*86 2.3.2
>and either of the ATI VGA cards.  Is anyone running
>this combination?

Before upgrading to a 386 system and Xenix I had the adapter card and monitor
installed on an ancient 286 (Zenith ZF-281) running the Rev K version of
286 Xenix. When going from DOS to Xenix (I had both partitions on the HD) I
had to make sure the ATI card was setup to look like an EGA screen because
I'd get nonsense characters if I tried to boot xenix w/the adapter in VGA mode.
Since there's a configuration program that you can run under DOS to set the
EEPROM for this, there's not much problem since I'm sure you'll get at *least*
EGA resolution out of your card.

As for the 2.3.2 version of 286 Xenix, I can't say since I've only run it
as a 386 setup, which works just fine.

>Thanks, in advance!

Sure thing.

>Bruce W. Mohler
>Systems Programmer (aka Staff Analyst)
>bruno@sdcc10.ucsd.edu
>voice: 619/586-2218

|Timothy D. Kuehn	       			       timk@xenitec.on.ca     |
|TDK Consulting Services			       !watmath!xenitec!timk  |
|871 Victoria St. North, Suite 217A					      |
|Kitchener, Ontario, Canada N2B 3S4 		       (519)-741-3623 	      |
|DOS/Xenix - SW/HW. uC, uP, DBMS. 		       Quality SW Guaranteed  |

bruno@sdcc10.ucsd.edu (Bruce W. Mohler) (02/06/90)

In article <6879@sdcc6.ucsd.edu>, bruno@sdcc10.ucsd.edu, I write:
 > In article <6731@sdcc6.ucsd.edu>, bruno@sdcc10.ucsd.edu, I write:
 >  > I'm considering upgrading my AST Premium 286 running Xenix 2.3.2
 >  > to VGA colour.  Because of price/performance, I'm looking at the
 >  > ATI boards (ATI Prism (USA) or ATI Wonder (Canada)).  However,
 >  > I've already heard one horror story about an ATI Prism board
 >  > in a DTK 286 motherboard that did not work with Xenix (I know
 >  > the guy; he's knowledgeable about PC's so there was some serious
 >  > or deceptive problem).  I'd rather have my ducks lined up before
 >  > I fire off my credit card at some retailer.
 >  >
 >  > blah, blah, blah...
 >  >
 >  > Can any one from SCO comment on whether Xenix will support
 >  > either ATI board even though they're not on the published list.
 >  >
 >  > If I get any e-mail responses, then I'll summarize to this
 >  > group.
 >  >
 >  > Thanks, in advance.
 >  >
 >  > --
 >  > Bruce W. Mohler
 >
 > As author of the original article, thanks to those who
 > responded, including:
 >
 > 	Andrew "Race Turtle" Scherpbier
 > 	Barry Comer
 > 	Richard L. Goerwitz
 > 	Larry Snyder

Thanks in addition to:

	Michael R. Johnston
	Roger Knopf (SCO)
	Tim Kuehn

It seems that the only definitive voice was Roger's who
mentioned a problem with a specific level of the DTK BIOS
(therefore, the horror story was because of a faulty DTK
BIOS rather than with the ATI card).  No one seemed to
have any experience with the 286, Xenix 2.3.2, and one of
the ATI VGA cards...

Where are all of the adventurers?  Its no challenge to
write programs that can run in a 16M memory space...  :-)

I'm sincerely grateful for all of your responses!