[comp.unix.xenix] XENIX 386 2.3.1 Mouse Support

bt455s39@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu (Carmen Hardina) (02/03/90)

Hi, I am trying to install my Logitech Serial Mouse under SCO XENIX 386.
It is the original three-button model connected to a true-blue IBM serial
port configured as COM1.  I ran "mkdev mouse", associated the mouse with
the multiscreens, re-linked the kernel, etc...  but when I run "usemouse"
I get the following error...

usemouse: can't open slave(errno 13)

What have I done wrong?  I think this problem has been discussed in the
group before, but for the life of me I cannot remember the solution.
And yes, I RTFM!  I thought all you had to do was run mkdev...  Any
assistance would be appreciated!  This is *very* fustrating.  :-(

The Bellcore "mgr" does not seem to understand the mouse at this point
either.  For instance, when I move the mouse up, the pointer goes racing
to the bottom of the screen and it also does not seem to recognize any
button depression on the mouse.  The program seems to lock-up for a
while, then returns to XENIX and displays the following error...

got a SIGALRM:  alarm clock
abort - core dumped

I am pretty sure that the "abort" message comes from the fact that when
"mgr" appears to lock-up, I press CTRL-\ to try and get back to XENIX.
Has anyone experienced these problems with mgr?  Aside from the Serial
Mouse, I am trying to use "mgr" with an Everex EGA card.  Has anyone
gotten "mgr" to work with EGA?  Chain did not seem to include definitions
for it in the Patches he posted...  :-(  I am not a C programmer, but
went ahead and added the following definition to the src/pc-blit/video.h file
anyway...

			#if D_EGA
			#define DEVICE		"/dev/ega"
			#define SW_MODE		SW_ENH_CG640
			#define F_WIDTH		640
			#define FB_HEIGHT	350
			#define INTERLACE	0
			#endif

I think that should put the EGA into 640x350x16 color mode.  BTW, I have
applied all 7 XENIX Patches to the Bellcore GUI and the mouse works fine
when I boot off my DOS partition.  Thanks in Advance!

				--Carmen

P.S.  The "mgr" intro screen comes up fine.  The spinning planet with
      flying stars looks hot!  They are the best graphics that I have
      seen to date under XENIX.  Unfortunately, that is all that seems
      to work at this point...
--
Carmen Hardina, Assistant System Administrator
INET: islenet!manapua!carmen@uhccux.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu

hoover@cs.UAlberta.CA (Jim Hoover) (02/07/90)

In article <6475@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu> bt455s39@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu (Carmen Hardina) writes:
>Hi, I am trying to install my Logitech Serial Mouse under SCO XENIX 386.
>It is the original three-button model connected to a true-blue IBM serial
>port configured as COM1.  I ran "mkdev mouse", associated the mouse with
>the multiscreens, re-linked the kernel, etc...  but when I run "usemouse"
>I get the following error...
>
>usemouse: can't open slave(errno 13)

This message means that usemouse cannot open the slave side of the pty
that it sticks between you (mouse, keyboard, screen) and the shell
(or other process its talking to).  Check the permissions on /dev/*typ*
(/dev/ptyp0 is the master, /dev/ttyp0 is the slave), they should be rw-rw-rw- .
Also, don't forget about the entries in /usr/lib/event/ttys that say a
mouse (serial in your case) is a legit event source for the tty yo are on.
For example I have entries like
	tty01 msbusmouse
But I am using SCO UNIX V, so the file may not be in the same place.

Another problem with usemouse is that it interacts with mscreen.  The pseudo
ttys that mscreen uses must have gettys attached to them.  Usemouse behaves
interestingly, to say the least, if it attaches to a pty that has a getty
sitting on it.

>And yes, I RTFM!  ...

It is not in the FM!  At least I couldn't find it.  But it sure is in my
note book along with all kinds of other mouse droppings.  As a general rule,
sure evidence that a problem is permission related is that running as a
normal user has the problem, but running as root does not.  That's how I
found the slave problem with usemouse.

	Jim Hoover

Prof. Jim Hoover                   | Office +1 403 492 5401 or 5290
Dept. of Computing Science         | FAX    +1 403 492 1071
University of Alberta              | hoover@cs.ualberta.ca
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada T6G 2H1  |