[comp.unix.xenix] Internal Telebits work w/ SCO Xenix or unix?

fred@cdin-1.UUCP (Fred Rump) (02/01/90)

In article <2784@thebes.Thalatta.COM> campbell@Thalatta.COM (Bill Campbell) writes:
>ALL internal modems have a fatal flaw on real multi-user operating
>systems.  They will frequently hang up in a strange state that
>requires resetting the modem.  This isn't a problem with an
>external modem, flip the switch.  It's somewhat more difficult

I would beg to differ with this assessment.

We have many, many sites out there in the real world who run their machines
without ever having their modems hang. All are internal US Robotics cheapy
2400 baud jobs. We recommend occasional shutdowns just to clear the cobwebs
out, but many people don't ever do that.

These modems are for support and e-mail/news functions.
fred rump

--
Fred Rump              | UUCP:  {uunet bpa dsinc}!cdin-1!fred
CompuData, Inc.        |  or ...{allegra killer gatech!uflorida decvax!ucf-cs}

erc@khijol.UUCP (Ed Carp, aka Mr. Ed the talking horse...) (02/13/90)

In article <2784@thebes.Thalatta.COM> campbell@Thalatta.COM (Bill Campbell) writes:

>ALL internal modems have a fatal flaw on real multi-user operating
>systems.  They will frequently hang up in a strange state that

Funny, I've got a 386SX system with a 2400 internal modem, and have had NO
problems with it.  It dials out every hour, and stays powered up for DAYS at
a time.
--
Ed Carp                 N7EKG/5 (28.3-28.5)     uunet!cs.utexas.edu!khijol!erc
Austin, Texas           (512) 832-5884          "Good tea.  Nice house." - Worf