[comp.unix.xenix] uucico failure

glenn@stsim.ocs.com (glenn ford) (02/10/90)

uucico:
IN SEND/SLAVE MODE (INPUT FAILED)
what cause's this, and is there any fix?  I am running SCO 386 XENIX 2.3.1,
any help would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Glenn Ford
..uunet!ocsmd!stsim!glenn

jpp@tygra.UUCP (John Palmer) (02/12/90)

In article <850@stsim.ocs.com> glenn@stsim (glenn ford) writes:
}uucico:
}IN SEND/SLAVE MODE (INPUT FAILED)
}what cause's this, and is there any fix?  I am running SCO 386 XENIX 2.3.1,
}any help would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks in advance.
}
}Glenn Ford
}..uunet!ocsmd!stsim!glenn

This means that you lost the connection to whatever machine you
were talking to. Either the line dropped or the other machine
crashed.
--
=  CAT-TALK Conferencing Network, Prototype Computer Conferencing System  =
-  1-800-825-3069, 300/1200/2400/9600 baud, 8/N/1. New users use 'new'    -

In article <850@stsim.ocs.com> glenn@stsim (glenn ford) writes:
>uucico:
>IN SEND/SLAVE MODE (INPUT FAILED)
>what cause's this, and is there any fix?  I am running SCO 386 XENIX 2.3.1,
>any help would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks in advance.

This just means that the uucico was expecting data and didn't get any.  If
it only happens rarely, you are probably just losing the line due to a
bad connection.  If it's consistent, look for one of the following:
 1) Something in the connect path (modems, packet network, terminal
    concentrator) has software flow control enabled (xon/xoff).  Modems
    that do speed switching and data compression normally have this as
    an option and it must be off for uucp.
 2) One of the modems (or a network PAD) has an escape character that
    puts the device in command mode. The Hayes plus-plus-plus (guess
    why I don't type it literally) sequence requires a time delay around
    it to take effect but it's still possible and many other modems don't
    require the delay.  Lots of network PADS use the DLE (data-link-escape)
    character to go to command mode and the uucp 'g' protocol is loaded
    with DLE's.

Les Mikesell
  les@chinet.chi.il.us

david@csource.oz.au (David Nugent) (02/14/90)

A problem I seem to have hit running uucp under SCO Xenix/386 that
someone might want to help with:

 Release 2.3.2 kit 5.52
 Wyse/386 4MB RAM

The modem is a standard, run of the mill 1234SA.

Logins work fine.  cu works fine.  But uucp calls in and out both
don't work.  The symptoms are, when you login to a uucp login it dumps
what looks like lots of noise, the drops DTR and looses carrier.

On each occasion, the file /usr/spool/uucp/.Audit/<sysname> contains
the line:

OPTION--- : WRITE (13) [FILE: permission.c, LINE: 470]

A very similar entry in /usr/spool/uucp/.Status/<sysname>.

Now, obviously there's a permissions problem of some sort.  Anyone
know what this might be and what file uucico is trying to write?
Still can't figure out why this would result in the garbage and loss
of carrier on login though.

Any help appreciated.

Also, is there anywhere source for a good uucico?

david

--
UUCP: ...!munnari!csource!david
INTERNET: david@csource.oz.au