[comp.unix.xenix] pseudo ttys from diSCOver and Computone

mark@promark.UUCP (Mark J. DeFilippis) (02/02/90)

As many will recall in diSCOver a while back there was an article "Tricks
of the mscreen Masters".  In this article they talked about how to create
three terminals using pseudo devices if you have a Wyse-60 terminal and
put it in econo-80 mode.  By putting it in econo-80 mode, enough ram was
left over to impliment a third page of ram needed to retain the third
screen contents/attributes and cursor location.

Here is the problem: I have 2 Computone 8 port Atvantage boards and one
Intelliport 8 port board.  The problem is that after I do an "mscreen -3",
the screen clears and the terminal just sits there and blinks.  Only a reboot
clears it.  This leads me to believe that we have a driver conflict here.
Computone uses devices ttyi## and ttyx## for screens one and two, ttym##
if the device requires modem control, and ttyp## for buffered transparent
printing to the aux port of the tty.  mscreen tries to use devices /dev/ttyp*
for its pseudo ttys.

Anyone out there have mscreen working in a similar arrangement?

Thanks

--
Mark J. DeFilippis
SA @ Department of Mathematics and Computer Science

neal@mnopltd.UUCP (02/09/90)

->As many will recall in diSCOver a while back there was an article "Tricks
->
->Here is the problem: I have 2 Computone 8 port Atvantage boards and one
->Intelliport 8 port board.  The problem is that after I do an "mscreen -3",
->the screen clears and the terminal just sits there and blinks.  Only a reboot
->
->Anyone out there have mscreen working in a similar arrangement?
->
I have got the same beasties and have gotten the impression that the Computone
drivers to NOT support mscreen.   I am not sure who gave me that feeling.  I
do use the Intelliview feature of the board, which gives me two tty devices.

Leeme know if you get anywhere...
Neal Rhodes                       MNOP Ltd                     (404)- 972-5430
President                Lilburn (atlanta) GA 30247             Fax:  978-4741
       uunet!emory!jdyx!mnopltd!neal Or uunet!gatech!stiatl!mnopltd!neal

mikej@lilink.lilink.com (Michael R. Johnston) (02/10/90)

In article <2265@promark.UUCP> mark@promark.UUCP (Mark J. DeFilippis) writes:
>Here is the problem: I have 2 Computone 8 port Atvantage boards and one
>Intelliport 8 port board.  The problem is that after I do an "mscreen -3",
>the screen clears and the terminal just sits there and blinks.  Only a reboot
>clears it.  This leads me to believe that we have a driver conflict here.
>Computone uses devices ttyi## and ttyx## for screens one and two, ttym##
>if the device requires modem control, and ttyp## for buffered transparent
>printing to the aux port of the tty.  mscreen tries to use devices /dev/ttyp*
>for its pseudo ttys.

Indeed, mscreen DOES use /dev/ttyp* as the devices for the pseudo tty's. The
Computone Intelliports DO NOT. These boards have their own built in drivers
for multiscreen support on serial terminals. You do NOT use mscreen to utilize
these alternate screens under the Computone's (at least on all the Intelliports
I've used). In the ic_install script ("It's recommended") you can configure the
type of terminal support that is allowed on the line. I.E you have available
to you:

"Intellikey"

and

"Intelliscreen".

or both.

You'll want to pick the "Vanilla" terminal support entry. This will give you
the "Intellikey" and "Intelliscreen" support. Read the "/etc/ic_master" file
for more details. I believe that all you have to do is to enable the
alternate computone ports and you're on your way. To goto another screen just
hit SHIFT-F1, SHIFT-F2 etc. Check the manual for specifics. I haven't played
around with it that much but it seems to be a nice feature. We don't have
many terminals around here with memory so it's not as advantageous to us.
Even if we did it wouldn't be much good. Most of our users have a hard time
mastering logging in. 8-(

BTW, I would think that the mscreen terminals would work PROVIDED you have
enable the ttyp* ports that you wish to use. Try:

enable ttyp0

mscreen

SHIFT-F1

That should get you started.
--
Michael R. Johnston                   mikej@lilink.com
Lilink Communications                 rutgers!lilink!mikej

mark@promark.UUCP (Mark J. DeFilippis) (02/14/90)

In article <179@lilink.lilink.com>, mikej@lilink.lilink.com (Michael R. Johnston) writes:
> alternate computone ports and you're on your way. To goto another screen just
> hit SHIFT-F1, SHIFT-F2 etc. Check the manual for specifics. I haven't played
> around with it that much but it seems to be a nice feature. We don't have
> many terminals around here with memory so it's not as advantageous to us.

The case where you have screen memory is when it is adventageous to you.
The devices you are talking about are ttyinn and ttyxnn.  It is supported
on the intelliport and Advantage line.  However the computone boards do
not retain the screen ram onboard, so the terminal must:

1. Retain the image for each screen
2. Retain the attribute ram for each screen
3. Reatin the cursor position for each screen

(Wyse-60's and others have this capibility).  But what I want to do is use
3 or 4 screens.  After further analysis I have noted simply that the major
devices for the /dev/ttypnn pseudo-ttys are different then the major devices
for the computone created devices.  So it is a different device group and
hence a different device driver.  It could not possibly work.

I guess what I have to do is ask Computone to modify their drivers to
support mscreen pseudo-devices as a x-mas wish list request.

--

terry@pride386.UUCP (Terry Lyons) (02/16/90)

In article <2278@promark.UUCP>, mark@promark.UUCP (Mark J. DeFilippis) writes:
> In article <179@lilink.lilink.com>, mikej@lilink.lilink.com (Michael R. Johnston) writes:
>
> I guess what I have to do is ask Computone to modify their drivers to
> support mscreen pseudo-devices as a x-mas wish list request.

don't bother you can get 4 screens now. sco multiview, check it out you get 4
screens + some desk acc. ph.book file cards and it works with the dumber terms
like wyse50's etc.

I don't work for sco. I just highly recommend this product :-)