[comp.unix.xenix] uucp between sco xenix and sun os

paterra@cs.odu.edu (Frank C. Paterra) (02/15/90)

I can't seem to get this to work.  uucp works fine between an
at&t 3b2/400 and sco xenix.  Can anyone help me?  Please?

Frank Paterra
paterra@cs.odu.edu
--
Frank Paterra
paterra@cs.odu.edu

barton@holston.UUCP (Barton A. Fisk) (02/17/90)

In article <PATERRA.90Feb14220213@offa.cs.odu.edu>, paterra@cs.odu.edu (Frank C. Paterra) writes:
> I can't seem to get this to work.  uucp works fine between an
> at&t 3b2/400 and sco xenix.  Can anyone help me?  Please?

Please post any answers to this, I am having the same problem
and others have emailed to me requesting answers. However
I have NOT received ONE response. Maybe there is no workaround?

--
Barton A. Fisk          | UUCP: {attctc,texbell}vector!holston!barton
PO Box 1781             | (PSEUDO) DOMAIN: barton@holston.UUCP

marks@mgse.UUCP (Mark Seiffert) (02/18/90)

In article <5680@holston.UUCP> barton@holston.UUCP (Barton A. Fisk) writes:
>In article <PATERRA.90Feb14220213@offa.cs.odu.edu>, paterra@cs.odu.edu (Frank C. Paterra) writes:
>> I can't seem to get this to work.  uucp works fine between an
>> at&t 3b2/400 and sco xenix.  Can anyone help me?  Please?
>>
>Please post any answers to this, I am having the same problem
>and others have emailed to me requesting answers. However
>I have NOT received ONE response. Maybe there is no workaround?

I missed the original message, but you did not say what whether you
were running SCO Xenix 286 or 386, or whether or not you were using the
old style UUCP or HDB, besides, i thought you were having problems with
talking to a Pyramid and not a Sun. SCO's uucp has some problems, the
problem i had was the pyramid i get my feed from could dial into me, but
when i dialed into the the pyramid, there was a very slim chance that i
would get in. After talking with SCO a few time they kept saying that it
was the fault of the Pyramid. As it turns out the Pyramid sends out a
^PShere=rex^@^J. The ^J is used for X.25 or something. The last
time i talked to SCO, the technician, after putting me on hold for a
short while (to look at the code?), came back and said that it was because
rex (the Pyramid) was sending a Null in the Shere message. According to the
uucp document posted to comp.doc or comp.mail.uucp every once in awhile,
the Null character is supposed to me there. Systems running HDB do do not
have this problem, even SCO's HDB. I would suggest running uucico with -x9
and seeing if you are getting something like this after the login prompt;

imsg <^M^J^PShere=rex^@^J^M^JNO CARRIER^M^J

If you are, well you can call SCO...

>--
>Barton A. Fisk          | UUCP: {attctc,texbell}vector!holston!barton
>PO Box 1781             | (PSEUDO) DOMAIN: barton@holston.UUCP
>Lake Charles, La. 70602 | ----------------------------------------
>318-439-5984            | "Let him who is without sin cast the first stone"-JC

--
Mark Seiffert,  Metairie, LA.
uucp:           rex.cs.tulane.edu!mgse!marks or rex!mgse!marks

barton@holston.UUCP (Barton A. Fisk) (02/19/90)

In article <1060@mgse.UUCP>, marks@mgse.UUCP (Mark Seiffert) writes:
> In article <5680@holston.UUCP> barton@holston.UUCP (Barton A. Fisk) writes:
> >In article <PATERRA.90Feb14220213@offa.cs.odu.edu>, paterra@cs.odu.edu (Frank C. Paterra) writes:
> >> I can't seem to get this to work.  uucp works fine between an
> >> at&t 3b2/400 and sco xenix.  Can anyone help me?  Please?
>
> imsg <^M^J^PShere=rex^@^J^M^JNO CARRIER^M^J
>
> If you are, well you can call SCO...

This is the problem exactly...the null following the Shere=rex
is causing the system to hang.

As far as calling SCO...forget it! I quit calling them years
ago when my time became more valuable.

If the fix could be had via their free uucp fix list I'll try it
otherwise 'cest la vie'.