[comp.unix.xenix] Hangup ignored--known problem?

robert@rabbit1.uucp (Robert L. Oliver) (02/17/90)

We have an SCO Xenix 386 system with a multi-port async serial card.  It
has the annoying feature of ignoring hangups (loss of CD).  Thus, people
dialing in can be connected to an already logged-in session.

I was about to go into deeper investigation after a first glance at the
gettydefs and wiring appeared to show no obvious deficiencies.  I was suspecting
perhaps a bug in the driver with relationship to whatever brand of multi-port
card is installed (I don't know the brand at the moment).

But before I had the chance to look further, someone told me that this
was a KNOWN bug in Xenix.

I find this amazing, if it's true.  And if it IS true, what does the civilized
world do about this?  Can't exactly use this sort of thing for any secure
dial-in.

Any info. would be appreciated.
--
Robert Oliver
Rabbit Software Corp.		(215) 647-0440

jpp@tygra.UUCP (John Palmer) (02/18/90)

In article <253@hutch.UUCP} robert@rabbit1.uucp (Robert L. Oliver) writes:
}We have an SCO Xenix 386 system with a multi-port async serial card.  It
}has the annoying feature of ignoring hangups (loss of CD).  Thus, people
}dialing in can be connected to an already logged-in session.
}
...[rest deleted]
I'm having a similar problem using a DIGIBOARD PC/4. I'm running
SCO Xenix 2.3.2 on a 386-20MHz (AWARD Bios). I'm using a US Robotics
Courier HST modem which I have locked in at 9600 baud (the DCE/DTE
rate). Here is the gettydefs entry I am using:

m # B9600 HUPCL # B9600 CS8 SANE HUPCL TAB3 ECHOE IXANY #\rWelcome to The CAT-TALK Network. Type new if a new user.\r\n\r\n@ login: # m

The problem is that some times when someone hangs up abruptly, usually
when using something that uses curses/terminfo, the modem doesnt reset
and the SD and RD (Send Data/Read Data) lites on the modem stay lit.
At other times, they go out but the TR and RS lites go out and the
modem wont answer the phone.

During the former case, the user still appears to be logged in. I'm not
using sh or csh for the login shell, but am using some program that I
wrote for a login shell. Any one have any suggestions??

--
=  CAT-TALK Conferencing Network, Prototype Computer Conferencing System  =
-  1-800-825-3069, 300/1200/2400/9600 baud, 8/N/1. New users use 'new'    -

root@ozdaltx.UUCP (root) (02/19/90)

In article <20@tygra.UUCP>, jpp@tygra.UUCP (John Palmer) writes:
> In article <253@hutch.UUCP} robert@rabbit1.uucp (Robert L. Oliver) writes:
> }We have an SCO Xenix 386 system with a multi-port async serial card.  It
> }has the annoying feature of ignoring hangups (loss of CD).  Thus, people
> }dialing in can be connected to an already logged-in session.
> }
> ...[rest deleted]
> I'm having a similar problem using a DIGIBOARD PC/4. I'm running
> SCO Xenix 2.3.2 on a 386-20MHz (AWARD Bios). I'm using a US Robotics
> Courier HST modem which I have locked in at 9600 baud (the DCE/DTE
> rate). Here is the gettydefs entry I am using:
>
> m # B9600 HUPCL # B9600 CS8 SANE HUPCL TAB3 ECHOE IXANY #\rWelcome to The CAT-TALK Network. Type new if a new user.\r\n\r\n@ login: # m

1 # B2400 SANE HUPCL ECHOE -CLOCAL -PARITY #
    B2400 SANE HUPCL ECHOE TAB3 IXANY -CLOCAL CS8 #
\r\nAT\n\fOZ - AIDS INFO EXCG BBS\nEnter your handle or type help\nLogin: # 2

Enclosed, part of the gettydefs file from my system.  Note especially
the -CLOCAL notation.  This tells the system this is a modem line and
will correctly reset CD and DTR.  Took me months to figure this out.

Both lines of entry should (probably for a 386, too) have entries,
since someone may hang up or get bumped before they are actually in
the system.  You might also try using 6 in the gettydefs file (9600)
rather than 'm'.  Make sure to change your /etc/ttytype and /etc/terms
file to reflect the changes.

Good luck....
Scotty
------
AIDS INFORMATION EXCHANGE BBS      (214) 247-2367/247-5609
               "Education is the best weapon"
     {ames,rutgers,texsun,smu}!attctc!ozdaltx!sysop

In article <253@hutch.UUCP> robert@rabbit1.uucp (Robert L. Oliver) writes:

| But before I had the chance to look further, someone told me that this
| was a KNOWN bug in Xenix.

  I haven't seen it if there is such a bug. Lots of people just drop
lines on my BBS. It may have to do with which board and/or driver you're
using. I *assume* that you checked gettydefs to be sure hupcl is set.
    sysop *IX BBS and Public Access UNIX
    moderator of comp.binaries.ibm.pc
"Getting old is bad, but it beats the hell out of the alternative" -anon