[comp.unix.xenix] problem with serial port

perry@bluemtn.uucp (Perry Minyard (3MTA3)) (02/17/90)

I've got a system running Xenix 2.3.2, with a modem off COM1:

Everything was working fine until a few days ago.  I've checked the modem
and the serial port (under ms-dos) and they work fine.

I have no uucp jobs queue'd up and when I do a ps -ef, I see a process
running that says:   /usr/lib/uucp/dialHA24 -hx0 tty1a 2400

I've got tty1a disabled, and tty1A enabled.

Every time I try to cu -s2400 -ltty1a dir,    It tells me that the device
is locked.   I have double and triple checked my /usr/lib/uucp/Devices
and I have ACU tty1a - 2400 /usr/lib/uucp/dialHA24.

I'm stumped.  Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,

Perry Minyard

..!uunet!emory!bluemtn!perry

jdw@hpfijdw.HP.COM (Jeff Wood) (02/21/90)

Perry -

There exists a lock file that uucp and cu touch to tell the
system the port is in use.  Check the file:

	 /usr/spool/uucp/LCK..tty1a

If you know that there is not a modem session running at the
time, just blow away this file and you should be off to the
races!

Jeff Wood
Hewlett Packard
Colorado Integrated Circuits Division
jdw@hpfijdw.hp.com
(303) 229-6633

perry@bluemtn.uucp (Perry Minyard (3MTA3)) (02/21/90)

In article <15030010@hpfijdw.HP.COM> jdw@hpfijdw.HP.COM (Jeff Wood) writes:

>Perry -
>
>There exists a lock file that uucp and cu touch to tell the
>system the port is in use.  Check the file:
>
>	 /usr/spool/uucp/LCK..tty1a
>
>If you know that there is not a modem session running at the
>time, just blow away this file and you should be off to the
>races!
>
>Jeff Wood

Yes... I knew this and I've removed the file!!!  It keeps coming
back though!  I think it's a problem with the dialer I'm using.
I think it's getting hung, and when the getty tries to initialize
the modem using the dialHA24, it hangs...

Thanks for the input--  PM