[comp.unix.xenix] poor uucp performance & telebit driver settings

mel@fleet.UUCP (mel) (02/19/90)

Sometime back somone mentioned some rules about "prepending" lettters to
the phone number(?) such as "U" to initiate UUCP register values into the
S111 register.  This applied to the dialTBIT driver in SCO Xenix.  There
were other letters in this table to set this and other registers.  Does
anyone have a complete breakdown of this driver and have more specific
info on how to use these settings?

I'm sure many of these slowdown problems may be related to incorrect S111
register settings.

Mel Shear
!rex!fleet!mel

scotto@crash.cts.com (Scott O'Connell) (02/22/90)

In article <65@fleet.UUCP> mel@fleet.UUCP (mel) writes:
>Sometime back somone mentioned some rules about "prepending" lettters to
>the phone number(?) such as "U" to initiate UUCP register values into the
>S111 register.  This applied to the dialTBIT driver in SCO Xenix.  There
>were other letters in this table to set this and other registers.  Does
>anyone have a complete breakdown of this driver and have more specific
>info on how to use these settings?
>
>I'm sure many of these slowdown problems may be related to incorrect S111
>register settings.
>
>Mel Shear
>!rex!fleet!mel

Here's an excerpt from an installation document I wrote a while back.

*** /usr/lib/uucp/Systems ***

pep1	Any	ACU	19200	5551212Uu	ogin:--ogin: login word: word
v322	Any	ACU	9600	5551213Vv	ogin:--ogin: login word: word
slow	Any	ACU	2400	5551214		ogin:--ogin: login word: word

Note: The phone number field is where you specify optional parameters you
      want the modem to use when connecting.  Here is a list of what is
      available in the dialTBALL dialer.

	Cc	Data Compression Enable
	Ee	Echo Supressor Enable
	Ff	Xon/Xoff Support Enable
	Kk	Kermit Support Enable
	Mm	MNP Error Correction Enable
	Pp	PEP Mode Forced (if can't connect PEP, won't connect at all)
	Uu	UUCP Spoofing Mode Enabled
	Vv	V.32 Mode Forced (if can't connect V32, won't connect at all)

You can't specify to protocols on the line.  UUCP spoofing only works with
PEP connections.

[NOTE: Only T2500's support V32 - it was a local hack]

I started writing an installation document for the Telebit modems, but
was sidetracked with work.  It's 98% finished, but I don't want to post
it until it's done.  It also has a modified dialTBIT.c source that
supports the T18PC and T2500.  If you'd like to have it, it's available
via UUCP from my work system, ipars, at 619/258-1206.  The system answers
at 19200, then 2400, then 9600 V32.  Login as Utest, no password.  Use
"uucp ipars!/usr/spool/uucppublic/tbit/tbit.shar ." to get the file.

Hope this helps.  Please direct comments to me.

--
Scott O'Connell		UUCP: {nosc, ucsd, hplabs!hp-sdd}!crash!ipars!scotto
			ARPA: crash!ipars!scotto@nosc.mil