[comp.unix.xenix] Procomm-Modem7 like program for xenix

cliffb@isavax.isa.com (cliff bedore*) (02/15/90)

I have a need for a program that will act like cu except that it must accept
Xmodem/Ymodem file transfers.  Is there such an animal? where how much etc?

Something like Procomm or Modem7 would be fine. (I'd prefer that it
understand the locking mechanisms of cu and uucp but not absolutely
required)

Thanks

Cliff

foote@miro.Berkeley.EDU (Bill Foote) (02/19/90)

In article <1990Feb15.134535.2355@isavax.isa.com> cliffb@isavax.isa.com (cliff bedore*) writes:
>I have a need for a program that will act like cu except that it must accept
>Xmodem/Ymodem file transfers.  Is there such an animal? where how much etc?

Well, I've managed to get the rz/sz programs (available from the
comp.sources.unix archive on uunet.uu.net) to accept zmodem downloads.
Here's what I do:

  1.  Use kermit to dial to the remote system
  2.  Invoke sz to send the file (i.e. sz -b foo)
  3.  Get back to the kermit> prompt and fork a subshell
  4.  Give the command "rz < /dev/tty1a > /dev/tty1a" to my local system
      (/dev/tty1a is the port that my modem is connected to)

I fork the subshell rather than quitting out of kermit so that kermit
will maintain the lock files for me.  I realize that this is a pretty
obscene way of doing this, but it works.  The usage command that I
get from "sz -help" says something about a command line argument for
use with cu, but I didn't feel like investigating.

BTW, kermit is available from /communications on anonymous ftp from
uunet.uu.net.

I bet that there's a better way to do this.

Good luck!

Bill Foote
foote@miro.berkeley.edu

Dion_L_Johnson@cup.portal.com (02/26/90)

Cliff Bedore asked:
>I have a need for a program that will act like cu except that it must accept
>Xmodem/Ymodem file transfers.  Is there such an animal? where how much etc?
>Something like Procomm or Modem7 would be fine. (I'd prefer that it
>understand the locking mechanisms of cu and uucp but not absolutely
>required)
>Thanks, Cliff

You might like to look at ECU from Warren Tucker.  It was posted in
alt.sources.  It is similar to cu, but has x/zmodem (and kermit) file
transfer, plus a lot of other goodies.  Warren has it ported for
SCO UNIX as well as XENIX.

More like procomm, and having file transfer capabilities is pcomm, posted
in <something>.sources last year.

Commercially, there are things like TERM (Century Software),
BLAST (Comm. Research Group), and Pro-YAM (Omen Technology).
These are listed in the new SCO System V Directory.

- Dion   [In real life, dionj@sco.com]