[comp.unix.xenix] mush 7.0 on SCO Xenix 286 ?

libove@ius3.ius.cs.cmu.edu (Jay Libove) (02/25/90)

I'm trying to build mush 7.0 (as told by ucbvax.berkeley.edu) on
an 80286 box running SCO Xenix v2.2.1. Compiling the 'curs_io.c'
module, I get:

curs_io.c(519) : error 65: `FMETA' undefined
curs_io.c(656) : error 65: `FMETA' undefined

(if CURSES is not defined; if I leave CURSES defined in the
CFLAGS, then FMETA is undefined at 656 and a different first
line)

despite the fact that curs_io.c includes glob.h and the last line
in glob.h unconditionally defines FMETA.

Has anyone gotten mush 7.0 to build and run properly on SCO
Xenix 286 v2.2.1? Please send me whatever hints you can!

Thanks...
--
Jay Libove			Internet: libove@cs.cmu.edu
403 Village Green Blvd, Apt 203	BITNET: libove@drycas

bob@rel.mi.org (Bob Leffler) (02/25/90)

In article <8162@pt.cs.cmu.edu>, libove@ius3.ius.cs.cmu.edu (Jay Libove) writes:
> I'm trying to build mush 7.0 (as told by ucbvax.berkeley.edu) on
> an 80286 box running SCO Xenix v2.2.1. Compiling the 'curs_io.c'
> module, I get:
> curs_io.c(519) : error 65: `FMETA' undefined
> curs_io.c(656) : error 65: `FMETA' undefined
> despite the fact that curs_io.c includes glob.h and the last line
> in glob.h unconditionally defines FMETA.

I started working on Mush 7.0 yesterday and ran into the same problem.  My
quick hack was to put a #define FMETA line above each reference of FMETA
in curs_io.c  I haven't had the time to figure our why the define doesn't
work from glob.h yet.  I even copied the last three or four lines from
glob.h to curs_io.c and didn't help.

> Has anyone gotten mush 7.0 to build and run properly on SCO
> Xenix 286 v2.2.1? Please send me whatever hints you can!

After you resolve the curs_io.c problem, you'll run into something similar
in glob.c.  I've resolved one define problem, but I have a couple more
problems that I haven't had time to resolve.

bob

--
Bob Leffler - Electronic Data Systems, GM Corporate Staffs Account
3011 West Grand Blvd., Room 9074, Detroit, MI 48202 (313) 556-4474

libove@ius3.ius.cs.cmu.edu (Jay Libove) (02/27/90)

In article <8162@pt.cs.cmu.edu>, libove@ius3.cs.cmu.edu (Jay Libove) writes:
> I'm trying to build mush 7.0 (as told by ucbvax.berkeley.edu) on
> an 80286 box running SCO Xenix v2.2.1. Compiling the 'curs_io.c'
> module, I get:
>
> curs_io.c(519) : error 65: `FMETA' undefined
> curs_io.c(656) : error 65: `FMETA' undefined
>
> despite the fact that curs_io.c includes glob.h and the last line
> in glob.h unconditionally defines FMETA.

Sigh. It seems that the SCO Xenix/286 v2.2.1 preprocessor grabs the
line right before the glob.h definition of FMETA which is:

#define META "/*?[{"

and fails to parse out the /* as being in a string ... so it becomes
an unclosed comment! And the FMETA definition on the next line never
happens... and it doesn't even complain about the unclosed comment :(

I moved the /*? around to get /?* and now the preprocessor is
happy and it all works. SIGH

Thanks anyway folks...

--

daveh@marob.masa.com (Dave Hammond) (03/01/90)

In article <8185@pt.cs.cmu.edu> libove@ius3.ius.cs.cmu.edu (Jay Libove) writes:
-[...] It seems that the SCO Xenix/286 v2.2.1 preprocessor grabs the
-line right before the glob.h definition of FMETA which is:
-
-#define META "/*?[{"
-
-and fails to parse out the /* as being in a string ... so it becomes
-an unclosed comment! And the FMETA definition on the next line never
-happens... and it doesn't even complain about the unclosed comment :(
-
-I moved the /*? around to get /?* and now the preprocessor is
-happy and it all works. SIGH

This perfectly documents a problem currently being discussed over in
comp.lang.c under the subject of `nested comments'.  The general
consensus has been that including the character pairs `/*' and `*/'
literally within a string is all but inviting disaster.

--
Dave Hammond
daveh@marob.masa.com