[comp.unix.xenix] Some questions

raanan@bc-cis.UUCP (Raanan Herrmann) (01/20/88)

	Here are some questions I have about Xenix 286 (we have Ver 2.1.3
installed on an AT). PLEASE also e-mail your answers to me at ron@jkfmny
(...!phri,delftcc!bc-cis!jkfmny!ron):

	1. In the description of each port in file /etc/gettydefs there
are "initial parameters". According to the documentation those parameters
should be explained in the tty(M) entry of the manual. I could not find
any information on those parameters in tty(M). Anybody knows?

	2. When I use `cu` to dial-out using a modem, I get an error message
"ungetty exec error".

	3. When I log-in as root or become Super-User through `su`, the
PATH variable contain "/etc:/bin:/usr/bin". Where is the .profile
for root? How do I make the PATH to contain also "." (current directory)
after login?
Raanan Herrmann  (bc-cis!raanan, raanan@bc-cis.UUCP raanan@bklyncis.BITNET)

dannyb@kulcs.UUCP (Danny Backx) (01/20/88)

I have a few questions concerning XENIX.
We are running XENIX System V on a genuine IBM AT, equiped with two 30Mbyte
fixed disks, and 2.5Mbytes of RAM.

My first question is on that second disk, which was only recently installed.
When XENIX boots, at some point the following is displayed :

| 		The IBM Personal Computer XENIX
| 			Version 2.00
| 		(c) Copyright IBM Corp. 1984, 1985
| 	(c) Copyright Microsoft Corp. 1983, 1984, 1985
|
| Reserved Memory = 2K
| Kernel Memory = 176K
| Buffers = 100K
| User Memory = 2282K
| bad signature (B66D) on drive 1
|
| Type Ctrl-d to proceed with normal startup,
| (or give root password for system maintenance):_

My question is now : what does the BAD SIGNATURE message really mean,
and how do I get this fixed.
I must say that the second disk is not currently in use for XENIX,
(or anything), so we just put one large DOS partition on it for testing.
It seems to work just fine.
Also, the diagnostics program on the diagnostics diskette delivered with
the AT shows no errors.

My second question concerns the configuration of the XENIX kernel.
We are using the XENIX system as a development system for network drivers.
This means we are adding several device drivers to it, (for PCnet, ethernet,
and in the near future Token Ring), and we are currently adding gateway
software to the system.

Now we also use some XENIX System III (which is XENIX 1.) systems,
om which the same software is added.

What I'd like to know more about is the kernel memory assignment.
In the configuration files, a lot of parameters are set, concerning
things such as kernel buffers for IPC, and for disk access (if I recall
correctly).

Does anybody know what these parameters exactly mean ?
We don't use the IPC facilities such as messages or shared memory.
Do you know a way to get the buffers for these things out of our new
kernels ?
Basically : is it safe to put a zero value for some of these
'tunable parameters' ?

Please mail your answers directly to me.
I will summarize on the net.

Thanks everybody.

	Danny

 Danny Backx                            |  mail: Katholieke Universiteit Leuven
 Tel: +32 16 200656 x 3537              |        Dept. Computer Science
 E-mail: dannyb@kulcs.UUCP              |        Celestijnenlaan 200 A
         ... mcvax!prlb2!kulcs!dannyb   |        B-3030 Leuven
         dannyb@kulcs.BITNET            |        Belgium

root@elric.UUCP (root) (01/24/88)

In article <1071@bc-cis.UUCP>, raanan@bc-cis.UUCP (Raanan Herrmann) writes:
> 	Here are some questions I have about Xenix 286 (we have Ver 2.1.3
> [two other questions]
> 	3. When I log-in as root or become Super-User through `su`, the
> PATH variable contain "/etc:/bin:/usr/bin". Where is the .profile
> for root? How do I make the PATH to contain also "." (current directory)
> after login?

Raanan,

  Whenever one (you or anyone else (:-)) logs in as root, either directly or
through the "switch-user" (su) mechanism, the PATH variable is deliberately set
to a limited set of directories for security purposes.  This is because root is
such a powerful login (like the queen in chess!).  If you really want to set
your PATH variable to something more expansive than just the "standard 3", you
may diddle with /.profile (when you login as root), or do a ". /.profile" or
some such equivalent thing to set your PATH when you login in with "su".  But,
imagine the following scenario:

You login as root and have your PATH set to "/etc/:/bin:/usr/bin:.:/usr/ubin".
You then change directory to a naughty user's directory, say /usr/abc,
and then innocently execute the command "compress", which you think is stored
in /usr/ubin.  Well, suppose the naughty user has a program called compress in
his own directory?  In that case you execute *his* compress, which does who-
knows-what instead of the one in /usr/ubin.  His compress could give user "abc"
root permissions, for example.  So one must be careful with what is one's PATH
when root, and esp. the ordering.  In order to execute a current directory
entry, simply type "./file".

Hope this helps,
--
Derek Terveer	root@elric.UUCP		..!clyde!lily!elric!root

root@cca.ucsf.edu (Computer Center) (01/28/88)

In article <2281@gryphon.CTS.COM>, wrm@pnet02.cts.com (William Mattil) writes:

>         From a security stanpoint, it is not a good idea to include the
> current directory (.) in the PATH for root.

Whatever you do, don't put  .  in root's PATH before the usual directories
which could cause you (as root) to execute, let's say "ls" and get some
total stranger. For example, a script in that directory like

    chown root file
    chmod 4777 file
    ls $*

and you have just created a trojan horse for someone _and_don't_even_
_know_anything_has_happened_.

Thos Sumner       (thos@cca.ucsf.edu)   BITNET:  thos@ucsfcca
(The I.G.)        (...ucbvax!ucsfcgl!cca.ucsf!thos)

OS 2 -- the Operating System for puppets.

#include <disclaimer.std>

klarich@a.cs.okstate.edu (Terry Klarich) (02/27/90)

I have two questions that I wonder if anyone has answers to.
First, how does one define the baud values EXTA and EXTB in the gettydefs
file
to be 19200 and 38400 respectively?

Second, does anyone have a listing of the escape codes for any terminal
which supports more than one screen page? (vt330 or wyse60)

Thanks for any help.
Terry Klarich (klarich@a.cs.okstate.edu) n5hts
A man is not complete until he is married then, he is finished.

rogerk@sco.COM (Roger Knopf 5502) (02/28/90)

In article <5417@okstate.UUCP> klarich@okstate.UUCP (Terry Klarich) writes:

>I have two questions that I wonder if anyone has answers to.
>First, how does one define the baud values EXTA and EXTB in the gettydefs
>file to be 19200 and 38400 respectively?

The mapping of EXTA and EXTB to particular baud rates is in the driver.
In the standard SCO driver they are actually 19200 and 38400, respectively.
Just use 'em as is. Note that not all serial cards will work at these
baud rates and that add-on serial drivers (like for smart cards) may
map them to other baud rates than does the standard SCO driver.

Roger Knopf
SCO Consulting Services

bbsadm@telmail.UUCP (BBS administrator) (02/28/90)

>> First, how does one define the baud values EXTA and EXTB in the gettydefs
>> file
>> to be 19200 and 38400 respectively?

You can't. What baud rates EXTA and EXTB represent is hardcoded into
your serial driver and thus depends on the serial card you use. For
the standard serial board EXTA and EXTB repesend 19200 and 38400 baud
resepectively, so you can just use them.

Richard
(...!hp4nl!neabbs!richard)

"But speed without openness isn't worth very much."
     IBM ad for new POWER/6000 RISC workstations running AIX.

mikej@lilink.com (Michael R. Johnston) (03/01/90)

In article <5417@okstate.UUCP> klarich@okstate.UUCP (Terry Klarich) writes:

>Second, does anyone have a listing of the escape codes for any terminal
>which supports more than one screen page? (vt330 or wyse60)
>
>Thanks for any help.

Look at /etc/mscreencap. It contains the codes used by the terminals supported
by mscreen. The wyse60 is listed.

--
Michael R. Johnston                   mikej@lilink.com
Lilink Communications                 rutgers!lilink!mikej