[comp.unix.xenix] SCO UNIX & Mylex CPU

deanr@lakesys.lakesys.com (Dean Roth) (03/05/90)

The problem:
-----------

I have a Mylex 386 25MHz CPU with ESDI disk
and SCO UNIX 3.2.  The OS insists the system
has an Arnet 8 port serial board on COM1 & COM2.
This is no Arnet controller in it, never has been.
I've even removed the serial port board (COM1 & COM2),
but the kernel insists the Arnet boards are there.
This makes COM1 & 2 unuseable, and I really wanted to
get the Trailblazer hooked up today.

I've reread the documents 10 times, pulled out the
serial port hardware, and tried everything else
I can think of.

Given that I am doing this on Sunday,
SCO and Mylex support is unavailable so
I thought I'd give the net a try.

According to SCO's documents, support for Arnet's board
is built into the kernel.  Fine, but why does it think
a board is installed when none is present?

Dean
deanr@lakesys.lakesys.com

terry@pride386.UUCP (Terry Lyons) (03/05/90)

In article <1729@lakesys.lakesys.com>, deanr@lakesys.lakesys.com (Dean Roth) writes:

> The problem:
> -----------
>
> I have a Mylex 386 25MHz CPU with ESDI disk
> and SCO UNIX 3.2.  The OS insists the system
> has an Arnet 8 port serial board on COM1 & COM2.
> This is no Arnet controller in it, never has been.

Call Mylex I had the same thing
the answer is there are 1 or 2 chips that HAVE to be changed to run xenix
(which they will gladly do) once that is done its warp speed (by the way once
you get it going check and see if the battery powered clock works..please let me
know) mine didn't work UNTIL we had a  page fault error (think idleout is the
culprit)

larry@nstar.UUCP (Larry Snyder) (03/05/90)

In article <1729@lakesys.lakesys.com>, deanr@lakesys.lakesys.com (Dean Roth) writes:

> According to SCO's documents, support for Arnet's board
> is built into the kernel.  Fine, but why does it think
> a board is installed when none is present?

My guess would be that something is residing at the SCO default
address and interrupt for the Arnet board - and the kernel finds
it at boot time and assumes the board is installed in the box.

--
The Northern Star Public Access Unix Site, Notre Dame, Indiana USA
     uucp: iuvax!ndmath!nstar!larry    internet: larry@nstar

In article <1729@lakesys.lakesys.com> deanr@lakesys.lakesys.com (Dean Roth) writes:

| I've reread the documents 10 times, pulled out the
| serial port hardware, and tried everything else
| I can think of.

  Go into /usr/sys/io/sioconf.c and zap everything but the standard
boards. Something in your system is responding to the code which checks
to see if Arnet is present.

  I found this in the docs when it solved my problem, but I couldn't
find it again just now, either.
    sysop *IX BBS and Public Access UNIX
    moderator of comp.binaries.ibm.pc
"Getting old is bad, but it beats the hell out of the alternative" -anon