[comp.unix.xenix] UUCP performance under SCO Xenix 2.2.1

deano@rpp386.cactus.org (Dean Carpenter) (02/28/90)

I'm running SCO Xenix 2.2.1 on an IBM AT (8MHz) with a Hayes 2400 V series
modem.  I've noticed some pretty poor performance with uucp at 2400 baud,
namely about 160 cps.  At 1200 I'm getting about 110 cps though.  The modem
is hung off an IBM 0-12meg card, which has serial and parallel ports on
the card.  Shouldn't I be getting about 220 cps or so ?

This has been the case with every system I talk to, not just one.  I have
noticed *very* occasional spurts up to about 180 cps, and sometimes down
to about 120 cps.  I want my 220 cps .......
--
Dean Carpenter
...{bigtex|texbell}!rpp386!bunyip!deano	   		   (preferred)

In article <18051@rpp386.cactus.org> deano@rpp386.UUCP (Dean Carpenter) writes:
| I'm running SCO Xenix 2.2.1 on an IBM AT (8MHz) with a Hayes 2400 V series
| modem.  I've noticed some pretty poor performance with uucp at 2400 baud,
| namely about 160 cps.  At 1200 I'm getting about 110 cps though.  The modem
| is hung off an IBM 0-12meg card, which has serial and parallel ports on
| the card.  Shouldn't I be getting about 220 cps or so ?

  You have to set your windows to seven instead of three, which is
default. Check the manual.
    sysop *IX BBS and Public Access UNIX
    moderator of comp.binaries.ibm.pc
"Getting old is bad, but it beats the hell out of the alternative" -anon

klaus@mt1hh.UUCP (Klaus Kleemann) (03/06/90)

From article <566@sixhub.UUCP>, by davidsen@sixhub.UUCP (Wm E. Davidsen Jr):
> In article <18051@rpp386.cactus.org> deano@rpp386.UUCP (Dean Carpenter) writes:
> | I'm running SCO Xenix 2.2.1 on an IBM AT (8MHz) with a Hayes 2400 V series
> | modem.  I've noticed some pretty poor performance with uucp at 2400 baud,
> | namely about 160 cps.  At 1200 I'm getting about 110 cps though.  The modem
> | is hung off an IBM 0-12meg card, which has serial and parallel ports on
> | the card.  Shouldn't I be getting about 220 cps or so ?
>
>   You have to set your windows to seven instead of three, which is
> default. Check the manual.

I can't find anything about windowsize in the Xenix 2.2.1 manual.

But here's a solution: (I fetched it from a local newsgroup)
---
Date: 29 Aug 89 13:23:49 GMT

standard uucico:	Address		before		after
	Offset:		19522
	Address:	63:19362/3	0x3b0		0xnnb0

Entsprechend fuer den uucico aus dem International Supplement R1.0:
(appropriate for the   ... )
	Offset:		19628
	Address:	63:19468/9	0x3b0		0xnnb0

(offset for lseek/write, address for adb)

	% adb -w uucico
	* $d
	* 63:19362?x
	63.:19362.:	0x3b0
	* 63:19362?w 0x7b0
	* $q

(Don't forget, to backup your original uucp...)
---
I made this patch several months ago without any trouble since yet.

By the way another question:
I want to reduce the timeout delay in case of an uucp-protocol error
due to linedistortions. (Sorry, no MNPx available yet)
After each transmissionerror the line is inactive for over 20
seconds. Does anyone know a similar patch like the above one for
this purpose?

regards, Klaus
--
Klaus Kleemann                       ][  ampr  : db2hk@db0hb.ampr.org