[comp.unix.xenix] Memory requirements for Xenix

860088m@aucs.uucp (Spiros Mancoridis) (02/12/90)

I am interested in purchasing Xenix for a 386SX machine.  Does
anyone know the minimum, average, and maximum memory requirements
to run Xenix on this machine?

Spiros Mancoridis

ghost@robecdc.UUCP (William.A.Sneed) (02/13/90)

In article <1990Feb11.163633.3696@aucs.uucp> 860088m@aucs.UUCP (Spiros Mancoridis) writes:

>I am interested in purchasing Xenix for a 386SX machine.

	Considerations are the same as any other 386. # of users,
	size of application, etc, etc.

-William A. Sneed	 ...!pyrdc!robecdc!ghost    | Words from me not my
-Robec Dist. Inc.	 (703) 631-4800		    | employer. He would disown
-Manassas, Va.		 Brain fried -- core dumped | me if he could.

brothers@jetsun.WEITEK.COM (bill brothers) (02/14/90)

In article <1990Feb11.163633.3696@aucs.uucp> 860088m@aucs.UUCP (Spiros Mancoridis) writes:

>I am interested in purchasing Xenix for a 386SX machine.  Does
>anyone know the minimum, average, and maximum memory requirements
>to run Xenix on this machine?

The mininum is 640K (really 1Mb..) However, running in that amount
is truely painful. Most programs won't run because of lack of space...
Average for most folks seem to be 2-6Mb. Running 1-2 users with no
extreme (you define) applications works fine in 2Mb. Max is 16Mb. Most
boxes don't support more than 12-15 anyway. These numbers *DO NOT* apply
to SCO UNIX...

Bill
brothers@weitek.COM

akcs.gladiator@ddsw1.MCS.COM (Patrick Farrell) (03/07/90)

I work for a corperation that sells a lot of 386 systems running SCO Xenix
and the majority of our systems are sold with 2 MB and that suits all the
applications we run just fine, in extreme cases we sell 10 MB, but I have
yet to encounter a problem with 2, for the average person, 2 MB will
more than suit your needs. Unless of course you happen to be doing a lot
of work with UNIFY which is a Database for Xenix, it likes to keep a lot
of things in ram, and for that I recomend 8 MB or more running on the 32 bit
slots or on the board, I once saw a system run that with the ram in
the 16 bits slots, was not a pretty sight.....