[comp.unix.xenix] pkzip

pmartin@psmsd.UUCP (Paul Martin) (02/08/90)

Is there an updated version of unzip or a real pkzip, pkunzip for
xenix?  The version of unzip I have always gives crc errors for files
that have been zipped on the newer releases of pkzip for dos.
Also if such a beast exists, could you tell me where I can FTP it from?
Thanks in advance.

--
+--------[ Paul Martin at P.S.M. Software Development ]--------+
| Smart: pmartin@psmsd.UUCP     | "Yes I am serious, and don't |

glenn@stsim.ocs.com (glenn ford) (02/12/90)

Is there a PKZIP compatible out there that works under SCO 386 XENIX?  If
so could someone PLEASE send me a copy.  It is desperately need, thank you!

Glenn Ford
BBS:	(301)-972-6131
UUCP:	..uunet!ocsmd!stsim!glenn

david@csource.oz.au (David Nugent) (02/14/90)

 > From: glenn@stsim.ocs.com (glenn ford)
 > Date: 11 Feb 90 16:09:33 GMT
 > Newsgroups: comp.unix.xenix,comp.sources.wanted
 >
 > Is there a PKZIP compatible out there that works under
 > SCO 386 XENIX?

Not yet, though I understand that there's one in the making.  The
only other alternative I can see is using vpix to run the dos version...

david

--
UUCP: ...!munnari!csource!david
INTERNET: david@csource.oz.au

srodawa@egrunix.UUCP (Ronald Srodawa) (02/14/90)

In article <33.25D795F8@csource.oz.au> david@csource.oz.au (David Nugent) writes:

> > From: glenn@stsim.ocs.com (glenn ford)
> > Date: 11 Feb 90 16:09:33 GMT
> > Newsgroups: comp.unix.xenix,comp.sources.wanted
> >
> > Is there a PKZIP compatible out there that works under
> > SCO 386 XENIX?

There is arc, a program developed at the University of Michigan.  We run
it under BSD 4.3 with no problems.  It "almost" works under Xenix, but
requires first installing a set of "standard" directory routines.  I
have it all ready to do, but am just looking for a spare hour or two
or three to do it.  Ron.

| Ronald J. Srodawa               | Internet: srodawa@unix.secs.oakland.edu |
| School of Engineering and       | UUCP:     srodawa@egrunix.UUCP          |
|    Computer Science             |                                         |
| Oakland University              |                                         |
| Rochester, Michigan  48309-4401 |                                         |
| Phone: (313) 370-2247           |                                         |

In article <33.25D795F8@csource.oz.au> david@csource.oz.au (David Nugent) writes:

|  > Is there a PKZIP compatible out there that works under
|  > SCO 386 XENIX?
|

| Not yet, though I understand that there's one in the making.  The
| only other alternative I can see is using vpix to run the dos version...

  There is an unzip I pulled off somewhere which mostly works. I have
had a few files bomb, but about 95% of the time it works. No directory
or pack, just unzip.
--
	bill davidsen - sysop *IX BBS and Public Access UNIX
davidsen@sixhub.uucp		...!uunet!crdgw1!sixhub!davidsen

"Getting old is bad, but it beats the hell out of the alternative" -anon

glenn@ocsmd.ocs.com (glenn ford) (02/15/90)

In article <442@egrunix.UUCP> srodawa@unix.secs.oakland.edu.UUCP (Ronald Srodawa) writes:
>In article <33.25D795F8@csource.oz.au> david@csource.oz.au (David Nugent) writes:
>There is arc, a program developed at the University of Michigan.  We run
>it under BSD 4.3 with no problems.  It "almost" works under Xenix, but
>requires first installing a set of "standard" directory routines.

I have arc (with "squueze", aka pkunpak), but I am looking for PKZIP
which has MUCH better compression ratio.  As much as 20% better in some
cases.  I know of ZOO, which is OK, and COMPRESS, but Would like to
get a PKZIP compatible, as the compression ratio is by far the best I
have seen to date.

richard@neabbs.UUCP (RICHARD RONTELTAP) (02/15/90)

[ Zip for XENIX ]

Maybe there aren't much DOS users around here but:

The current PKZIP (1.02) uses a different compression algorithm than
the versions before 1.00. This was done to keep up with the
competition of LHarc, wich generated smaller files than PKZIP 0.9x.
The 'new' ZIP is substantially slower, but still faster than LHarc,
and can compress a little smaller than LHarc. (Just my general
impressions / tests)

The unzip that is available for UNIX only decompresses the old format
.ZIP files. I've got it, if anyone wants it, mail me.

Meanwhile, I am interested in an (un)zip that can handle the new ZIP
format. Anyone? The only decent archiver for UNIX now is zoo, but the
compression ratios are not good enough, and the user interface is too
clumsy. I'm really looking to switch.

Richard
(...!hp4nl!neabbs!richard)

matthew@sunpix.East.Sun.COM ( Sun Visualization Products) (02/16/90)

In article <853@stsim.ocs.com> glenn@stsim (glenn ford) writes:
>Is there a PKZIP compatible out there that works under SCO 386 XENIX?  If
>so could someone PLEASE send me a copy.  It is desperately need, thank you!
>
>Glenn Ford
>BBS:	(301)-972-6131
>UUCP:	..uunet!ocsmd!stsim!glenn

An unzip utility was posted to comp.sources.misc last year.  Look in your
local 'comp.sources.misc' archive.  If you don't have one, I can forward
by e-mail.

--
Matthew Lee Stier                            |
Sun Microsystems ---  RTP, NC  27709-3447    |     "Wisconsin   Escapee"

akcs.gladiator@ddsw1.MCS.COM (Patrick Farrell) (03/07/90)

Well I hate to put a damper on you, and i must confess I love PKZIP 1.02
but LHarc does compress smaller. I still like ZIP, but I'm growing kinda
fond of LHarc.... note it is a tad slower than zip though.