[comp.unix.xenix] emulating t4014 undSCO multiscreens

dooley@physics.utoronto.ca (Kevin Dooley) (02/16/90)

Hello,
	Could somebody help me with an SCO XENIX puzzle.  Even
an RTFM would be appreciated if you can tell which FM to R,
I've looked till I'm blue-in-the-face.
	Here's what I want to do:
	I want to make at least one but not necessarily all of my
multiple screens (tty0[1-12]) emulate a tek4014 so that I can
run graphing softwarefrom the console.  However, I can't seem
to convince this thing to interpret the escape sequences as
'draw a line from here to there', so I just get junk.  I this
possible or do I have to run an external terminal in through
the serial port?
		Kevin

--
 Kevin Dooley         UUCP - {uunet,pyramid}!utai!helios.physics!dooley
 Physics Dept.        BITNET - dooley@utorphys

ron@mlfarm.uucp (Ronald Florence) (02/17/90)

In article <1990Feb15.124810.27123@helios.physics.utoronto.ca> dooley@physics.utoronto.ca (Kevin Dooley) writes:
 >	   Here's what I want to do:
 >	   I want to make at least one but not necessarily all of my
 >   multiple screens (tty0[1-12]) emulate a tek4014 so that I can
 >   run graphing softwarefrom the console.

It is not possible to switch from a graphics multiscreen to a
non-graphics multiscreen, but if you can live with that limitation, it
is relatively easy to write a tek4014 emulator using the SCO CGI
drivers.  The advantage of the CGI drivers is that by changing one
environmental variable, you can have output go to a printer or plotter
instead of the screen.

If there is interest, I'll post the tek4014 emulator we use, which can
be adapted for other output devices by rewriting one header file.
We've used the emulator successfully with the CGI devices (vga, ega,
Laserjet, HP plotter, Deskjet, Epson printer), and with direct output
to an HP plotter, and an Epson printer.
--

Ronald Florence			ron@mlfarm.uu.net
				{yale,uunet}!hsi!mlfarm!ron

ron@mlfarm.uucp (Ronald Florence) (02/19/90)

There has been enough email interest that I have posted the source to
the tek4014 emulator we use to comp.sources.misc.  The Makefile
creates a Xenix executable which produces output through the SCO CGI
drivers.  By rewriting one header file, the code can be adapted to
drive devices other than the CGI drivers.  The package includes, as a
sample, a header file to directly drive an HP plotter.

--

srodawa@egrunix.UUCP (Ronald Srodawa) (02/22/90)

In article <1990Feb15.124810.27123@helios.physics.utoronto.ca> dooley@physics.utoronto.ca (Kevin Dooley) writes:
>	I want to make at least one but not necessarily all of my
>multiple screens (tty0[1-12]) emulate a tek4014 so that I can
>run graphing softwarefrom the console.  However, I can't seem
>to convince this thing to interpret the escape sequences as
>'draw a line from here to there', so I just get junk.  I this
>possible or do I have to run an external terminal in through
>the serial port?

Of course, CGI can do the graphics, so one could consider a CGI interface
to the graphics package in question.  I have the opposite problem.  I
want to use CGI from home with MS-Kermit, which emulates a 4014.  BUT,
CGI has no driver for this terminal!  Ron.

| Ronald J. Srodawa               | Internet: srodawa@unix.secs.oakland.edu |
| School of Engineering and       | UUCP:     srodawa@egrunix.UUCP          |
|    Computer Science             |                                         |
| Oakland University              |                                         |
| Rochester, Michigan  48309-4401 |                                         |
| Phone: (313) 370-2247           |                                         |

emuleomo@paul.rutgers.edu (Emuleomo) (03/08/90)

 If you use CGI, then multi-screens WILL NOT WORK!!

--Emuleomo O.O. (emuleomo@yes.rutgers.edu)
--
** The ONLY thing we learn from history is that we don't learn from history!