[comp.unix.xenix] SCO upgrade policy

870646c@aucs.uucp (Barry Comer) (03/06/90)

I have been reading all the messages about SCO's problem, I figured since I
just bought Xenix 2.3.2 last November that I can put in my two cents worth
as well. First off SCO was very helpful with a floating point problem
that I was having, bith with online and phone support(thanks Dave). But
I do feel that SCO does want TO MUCH mon
 much for

870646c@aucs.uucp (Barry Comer) (03/06/90)

Sorry about my last message, the system was going down for a reset. Anyways
like I said SCO has provided me with very good support with any problems that
I have had up to this time.  I do feel that their upgrade prices are foolish.
Other companies that I have dealt with offer large discounts to people that
have bought an older products after a certain date, not only is this fair
but it KEEPS customers. SCO should realize that there is a lot of other
companies jumping on the UNIX bandwagon, and that they do not enjoy the large
base with their UNIX that they enjoy with XENIX.
later
Barry Comer

palowoda@fiver.UUCP (Bob Palowoda) (03/09/90)

From article <1990Mar6.121935.763@aucs.uucp>, by 870646c@aucs.uucp (Barry Comer):
> but it KEEPS customers. SCO should realize that there is a lot of other
> companies jumping on the UNIX bandwagon, and that they do not enjoy the large
> base with their UNIX that they enjoy with XENIX.

   Please explain what "large base" of Xenix programs do not run on UNIX.

---Bob

--
Bob Palowoda  indetech!fiver!palowoda      *Home of Fiver BBS*  login: bbs
Home {sun|daisy}!ys2!fiver!palowoda            (415)-623-8809 1200/2400

larry@nstar.UUCP (Larry Snyder) (03/09/90)

In article <1018@fiver.UUCP>, palowoda@fiver.UUCP (Bob Palowoda) writes:
> From article <1990Mar6.121935.763@aucs.uucp>, by 870646c@aucs.uucp (Barry Comer):
>    Please explain what "large base" of Xenix programs do not run on UNIX.

For one - multiview runtime which is linked into the kernel - how in earth
does one get "run time multiview for Xenix" linked into the Unix (386/ix)
kernel?

--
The Northern Star Public Access Unix Site, Notre Dame, Indiana USA
     uucp: iuvax!ndmath!nstar!larry    internet: larry@nstar

In article <511259@nstar.UUCP> larry@nstar.UUCP (Larry Snyder) writes:
>In article <1018@fiver.UUCP>, palowoda@fiver.UUCP (Bob Palowoda) writes:
>> From article <1990Mar6.121935.763@aucs.uucp>, by 870646c@aucs.uucp (Barry Comer):
>>    Please explain what "large base" of Xenix programs do not run on UNIX.
>>

>For one - multiview runtime which is linked into the kernel - how in earth
>does one get "run time multiview for Xenix" linked into the Unix (386/ix)
>kernel?

There is another problem with running Xenix programs under "emulation" --
look at the "SZ" column sometime when you are executing some of these.

We have one package that normally occupies about 400K of core (as measured
by the "SZ" parameter in ps) when running.  Running the Xenix package on ISC
produces over 800K of allocated memory for the process -- or twice as much
space in use!  OUCH.

On the other hand, lots of that may never be used, and thus be paged out
once and that will be that.  That I don't know with any certainty.

--
Karl Denninger (karl@ddsw1.MCS.COM, <well-connected>!ddsw1!karl)
Public Access Data Line: [+1 708 566-8911], Voice: [+1 708 566-8910]