[comp.unix.xenix] Looking for unix utility

bob@pds3 (Robert A. Earl) (03/09/90)

I have used a utility called Xtree (aka XtreeNet, aka XtreePro) on
MS-DOS based computers.  For those who don't know, it is a full-screen
file manager.  It allows you to view your directory structure, view
files, copy/move/delete files, manipulate access privilegs and flags,
etc.
Is such a beast available for UNIX/XENIX platforms?  Please reply (I
will post a summary if >2 people are interested in the results.)
Thanks!
--
==============
Robert A. Earl

bob@pds3 (Robert A. Earl) (03/13/90)

In article <1990Mar8.182710.12026@pds3> I wrote:
>I have used a utility called Xtree (aka XtreeNet, aka XtreePro) on
>MS-DOS based computers.  For those who don't know, it is a full-screen
>file manager.  It allows you to view your directory structure, view
>files, copy/move/delete files, manipulate access privilegs and flags,
>etc.
>Is such a beast available for UNIX/XENIX platforms?  Please reply (I
>will post a summary if >2 people are interested in the results.)
>Thanks!
Here are the responses I got:
-----------------------------
From: uunet!ames!claris!netcom!dionj (Dion Johnson)
The xtree company is working on a port to SCO XENIX and UNIX.
It works, I've seen it; they demo'd it at COMDEX.  Call 'em
and ask.  (I dont have the number handy, but if you cant
find it, let me know at dionj@sco.com)
[I called XTREE company.  They said that they did not demo such a product at
COMDEX, but that someone had presented THEM with a demo of an XTREE-like
product for UNIX.  They say they are currently investigating the feasibility
(or something like that).  Bottom line was: Nope, no UNIX product coming from
them anytime soon.]
-----------------------------
From: uunet!uts.amdahl.com!dacseg (Scott E. Garfinkle)
The best thing I know about is from Visix Software in Arlington, VA.
They have a relatively old visual directory editor product, and a really
incredibly great X-based product called looking glass.
-----------------------------
From: uunet!mimsy!woodb!scsmo1!don
I have a package (freeware) called vtree (visual tree) that gives
you a visual printout of your file structure. ex:

/

+-/bin

Like so...  I am in the process of writing an xtree look-a-like
using vtree as a basis of input...  I have had too much work lately to work
on my uniXTREE program but one of these days....

Anyway if you want I can send ye the vtree and if you hear of any xtree
look a likes for *X, let me know...
[I have seen vtree before.  It is good for what it does.]
-----------------------------
From: uunet!milhow1!how
gnu/emacs (386 minimum, naturally)
-----------------------------
From: uunet!fincomp!neal (Neal McClain)
Robert:
   A utility called HDSCAN is available as shareware.  A frind of mine
brought me a copy to evaluate, but I still haven't gotten a round to it.
Here is some stuff from the hdscan.c file:

/* HDSCAN copyright 1987 by Todd Burkey. This is not a Public Domain Package.
   It is distributed under the shareware policy in order to allow as many
   people as possible to use it, but if you use it and like it, the author
   (me) would appreciate a donation of $20 to help further development
   (and to help convince my wife that my adding a unix box to the mac/st/pc
   clutter in our house was for more important things than reading news :-) ).
*DISCLAIMER: This software is provided ASIS. No express or implied warranties*
*	     are given. The author makes no claim as to the fitness or       *
*	     applicability of the software for any particular application.   *
*	     The user uses this code at their own risk.                      *

WHY SHAREWARE?
   This method of distribution is in lieu of my decision not to market the UNIX
   version of hdscan as a product (I hate marketting). Shareware is a useful
   approach, since I want the most people to get access to hdscan while still
   allowing me to maintain control (and rights) over the code. Shareware works
   on PC's, but time will tell if it can be extended to the Unix Market. It's a
   whole lot more fun than buying a product and deciding you don't like it.
   Have fun.
   Oh yes...

   Todd Burkey
   3546 Pilgrim Lane
   Plymouth, Mn 55441

WHAT IS HDSCAN?
  A directory tree browser, file peruser, backup tool, and more. READ THE
  DOCS! This program will seem very confusing if you have never used tools
  like XTREE, 1DIR, etc on PC's.

SPECIFIC COPYRIGHT INFORMATION:
  Feel free to distribute this code ASIS (no code, comment, or documentation
  changes) via any medium you so desire, just so long as the distribution is
  not for profit. If you wish changes to be made in the distributed code, feel
  free to mail suggestions or even specific code changes to the address below.
  Corporate licensing information is available upon request.

   ...ihnp4!meccts!stag!trb  or
   trb@stag.UUCP
Suggest you give this guy a yell.
--