[comp.unix.xenix] How to increase inode allocation on disk

jpp@tygra.UUCP (John Palmer) (03/08/90)

I've got a filesystem that holds all of the newsgroups and it keeps
running out of inodes. Is there any way to increase the number of
inodes on the filesystem? I'm running SCO Xenix 2.3.2 and can't seem
to find anything in the documentation about increasing inodes on the
disk itself. Thanks.

E-MAIL: jpp%tygra.uucp@sharkey.cc.umich.edu

--
=  CAT-TALK Conferencing Network, Prototype Computer Conferencing System  =
-  1-800-825-3069, 300/1200/2400/9600 baud, 8/N/1. New users use 'new'    -

ghost@robecdc.UUCP (William.A.Sneed) (03/09/90)

In article <80@tygra.UUCP> jpp@tygra.UUCP (John Palmer) writes:
>Is there any way to increase the number of inodes on the filesystem?

Take a look at the manual entry for 'mkfs'. You will have to construct
the filesystem by hand, rather than allowing SCO's mkdev fs to do it for
you.
--
-William A. Sneed	 | All words are from me not my employer. All errors
-...pyrdc!robecdc!ghost  | are mine, all the glory is mine, all the flames are

pena@tuura.UUCP (Pentti Soini) (03/10/90)

jpp@tygra.UUCP (John Palmer) writes:

>I've got a filesystem that holds all of the newsgroups and it keeps
>running out of inodes. Is there any way to increase the number of
>inodes on the filesystem? I'm running SCO Xenix 2.3.2 and can't seem
>to find anything in the documentation about increasing inodes on the
>disk itself. Thanks.

First backup your newsgroups filesystem and run the command:

	mkfs /dev/ru xxxxx:nnnnn 1 1

where xxxxx is size of filesystem in 1 kb blocks and
nnnnn is the number of inodes in filesystem. We have 70 MB
filesystem for news (/usr/spool/news) in our system and
25000 inodes seems to be right number for it.
After that restore your backup to new filesystem.

--
Pentti Soini					pena@yj.data.nokia.fi
Nokia Data, General Systems, Finland		+358-0-5673987

brad@bradf.UUCP (Bradley W. Fisher) (03/12/90)

In article <647@tuura.UUCP>, pena@tuura.UUCP (Pentti Soini) writes:
> jpp@tygra.UUCP (John Palmer) writes:
> >running out of inodes. Is there any way to increase the number of
> >inodes on the filesystem? I'm running SCO Xenix 2.3.2
> First backup your newsgroups filesystem and run the command:
> 	mkfs /dev/ru xxxxx:nnnnn 1 1
> where xxxxx is size of filesystem in 1 kb blocks and
> nnnnn is the number of inodes in filesystem.
> After that restore your backup to new filesystem.

This I'm sure works quite dandy under UNIX systems that have separate
filesystems for "root" (/) and "usr" (/usr/spool/news), but the default
for SCO Xenix is to install with *one* file system. Therein lies the
problem ... you cannot conviently "mkfs" and restore. This is the
same problem I am currently facing ... I think the only solution
will be to mount my root floppy disk, edit the "mkfs" part of the
installation scripts, and then reinstall using the modified version.
If anyone has a better idea for SCO, I'm sure John and I are not the
only ones in this boat and would like to hear any ideas.

--
I'm just a wanna be UNIX guru (IJWBUG)               | Micro Maintenance, Inc.
						     | 2465 W. 12th St. #6
	-== Brad Fisher ==- 		             | Tempe, Arizona  85281
...!asuvax!mcdphx!hrc!microm!bradf!brad		     | 602/894-5526

jpp@tygra.UUCP (John Palmer) (03/12/90)

I'd like to thank everyone for helping out with this. I re-made the
filesystem and everything works fine now. Incidentally, it was a
separate filesystem (ie: not /dev/root).

--

chip@chinacat.Lonestar.ORG (Chip Rosenthal) (03/13/90)

In article <226@bradf.UUCP> brad@bradf.UUCP (Bradley W. Fisher) writes:
>This I'm sure works quite dandy under UNIX systems that have separate
>filesystems for "root" (/) and "usr" (/usr/spool/news), but the default
>for SCO Xenix is to install with *one* file system.

It really is a good idea to break out at least news into a seperate file
system.  This is for two reasons:  management of disk space and disk
performance improvement.  Arguably, your news spool area is one of the
most dynamic on the system, and therefore fragments most quickly.  By
moving news off to another filesystem, fragmentation creep in your other
areas should be slowed.

There is also the problem that your news spool is essentially open to the
world.  If somebody wants to create a 10Meg turd and drop it into
news.announce.important, you've got it.  If /usr/spool/news and /tmp
happen to be on the same filesystem, you're in big time trouble if that
was your last 10Meg.

I also like the psychological thing of having fixed boundaries on the
news filesystem -- that's all the space I'll give it, and things are
tweaked to keep it within bounds.  These fixed walls keep the disk used
by news from having an impact on the space allocated for important and
productive things :-)

>I think the only solution
>will be to mount my root floppy disk, edit the "mkfs" part of the
>installation scripts, and then reinstall using the modified version.
>If anyone has a better idea for SCO, I'm sure John and I are not the
>only ones in this boat and would like to hear any ideas.

Here is my suggestion.  Get pencil and paper and calculator and spreadsheet,
and design yourself a set of filesystems.  For example, I split up my
150Meg disk into four filesystems:  root, local, user, and usenet.  Among
other considerations, backup policy drove my setup, your mileage may
vary.  With the aid of du, figure out how much space to give each of these
filesystems.  Now, do your backups and re-run the SCO installation script,
but create the individual filesystems.

After completing the SCO installation but before restoring from your
backups, run "mkfs" on your USENET filesystem remake it with the number
of inodes you want.  Now do your restore.  By the way, watch out for the
sparse files (most notably the USENET history file) on the restore - real
disk blocks might get eaten to fill the holes on the restore.  You might
need to do a rebuild of your sparse files after the restore.  Fsck will
tell you which inodes are spares (via the "wrong size" error message), and
ncheck will convert the i-numbers to file pathnames.

One poster said he had 25,000 inodes for a 70M news filesytem (that is
357 inodes/Meg), and found that acceptable.  I have 5664 inodes for a 22M
filesystem (257 inodes/Meg), and find that to be just on the hairy edge.  I
took the SCO default, by the way.  Another factor is that I also keep the
news library and sources on this filesystem, and these are less inode-usage
intensive than news articles (English translation:  they are bigger on
the average than news articles).  If I had nothing but news articles on
this filesystem then I'd have been dead long before I ran out of disk
blocks.  I just ran some quick stats on my spool directory (not the entire
filesystem -- just the spool directory), and found the total usage to be
3562 inodes and 11135 1K blocks, which translates to 328 inodes/Meg.

Hmmm...after all this talkin' I suppose I should get down to it and
rebuild my usenet filesystem!
--
Chip Rosenthal                            |  Yes, you're a happy man and you're
chip@chinacat.Lonestar.ORG                |  a lucky man, but are you a smart

morris@dms.UUCP (Jim Morris) (03/14/90)

From article <226@bradf.UUCP>, by brad@bradf.UUCP (Bradley W. Fisher):

> This I'm sure works quite dandy under UNIX systems that have separate
> filesystems for "root" (/) and "usr" (/usr/spool/news), but the default
> for SCO Xenix is to install with *one* file system. Therein lies the...

Well I have news running on Xenix 2.3.2, what I did was to put in another
filesystem for news and called the mount point /usr/spool/news:

mkdev fs /u/news /usr/spool/news

BTW Xenix will allow as many filesystems as you want, the default is 1 or 2
but in the installation script it asks if you want manual control of the
filesystems, if you say 'y' it dumps you in divvy. If you have space on
your disk you can also run divvy without re-installing. I hate to say
this but RTFM installion guide or the bit on managing filesystems.
--
Jim Morris.         {motcsd|weitek}!dms!morris or morris@dms.UUCP
Voice	(408) 434-3798