[comp.unix.xenix] <None>

KUO@oregon.uoregon.edu (Shijong Kuo) (03/16/90)

In article <24@psmsd.UUCP>, pmartin@psmsd.UUCP (Paul Martin) writes:
> In article <868@edstip.EDS.COM>, ohrnb@edstip.EDS.COM (Erik Ohrnberger) writes:
>>
>> Does anyone have any experience with a Perstore disk controller
>> cards?
>>

> I am using a Perstor with a seagate 4096 80 meg and it works great!
> This combination gives me approx 146 megs.  The card acts like an RLL
> by putting 31 sectors per track as opposed to 17 with an MFM on a
> seagate 4096.  On a 20 mhz 386 I can only use a 3:1 interleave giving
> me throughput of 360k a second.  A standard MFM on this machine uses a
> 2:1 interleave getting 260k a sec transfer rate (according to spinrite).
> As you can see, the card is superior to a standard MFM or RLL controllers.
> If you are going to use Xenix, be sure to get the 16FN perstor.  This
> is an AT style hard/floppy controller for networks.  The only caution I
> have is make sure that your case for the drive has good ventilation.
> The perstor will cause your drive to get hotter than normal thus causing
> a failure.  This is because the drive spins faster under the perstor.
> I ran into this problem after having my drive fail.  I moved it to an
> external case and it has work flawlessly ever since.  My mini tower case
> has a poor design for allowing good circulation of cool air.  I also
> have a full complement of boards and memory.  A friend of mine is
> using 2 perstor controllers (1 in an AT and the other in a 386) with
> 2 seagate 4096 drives hanging off of each controller.  He has never
> had a problem, and he bought his first perstor over 2 years ago.
> Also be aware that the controller is not an MFM or an RLL so programs
> like the new spinrite II don't like it.  This is the only package that
> I know of that doesn't like the perstor.  You can even low level format
> with disk manager when using a perstor.  I am running both Xenix/386
> and dos 3.3 with no problems at all.
>
>> 7-15 Mb/sec.  How does Perstor achieve 9 MB/sec?  and how reliable are
>
> I guess you would need a 33mhz or faster machine to be able to use 1:1
> interleave.  I for one have never seen a perstor do 9mb/sec.
>
> I hope this helps!
>
> --
> +--------[ Paul Martin at P.S.M. Software Development ]--------+
> | Smart: pmartin@psmsd.UUCP     | "Yes I am serious, and don't |
> | Dumb:  ...uccba!psmsd!pmartin |  call me Shirley!"           |

I use a ps160-fn on an 10mhz,  the perstor software determined it could support
2:1 interleave on a st251 (40ms). And coretest reported about 400kb/sec
transfer rate. I imagine on a 386 ,it should be able to support 1:1 interleave.
btw, I don't recall seeing anywhere in perstor's manual that controller makes
the disk spin faster than 3600 rpm.

kuo@oregon.uoregon.edu