[comp.unix.xenix] AC Power Protection

neal@mnopltd.UUCP (03/18/90)

I couldn't find any other more or less appropriate group for this query....

Thunderstorm season is nearing, and I have promised myself that I will not
spend another spring unplugging my Xenix 386 machine and hiding under the
desk every other afternoon when the thunderstorms happen.  I have a surge
protector on the cpu and modems...

So, I can put one of those 500 watt 15 minute standby UPS systems on my
processor.  This should ride out a sag or a short drop out.   I can even put
my surge protector in front of the UPS.   BUT I figure a nearby strike can
still take out the surge protector, the UPS, and my cpu.

Should I put a ferro-resonant transformer in front of the whole mess?  What
are general experiences on this?   My goal is to be able to keep working and
ride out a blackout of up to ten minutes.

Post or mail answers, yer choice.  I WILL (really really) summarize mail.
Except for lame comments from wimps in parts of the country that don't get
any *REAL* lighting strikes....

Neal Rhodes                       MNOP Ltd                     (404)- 972-5430
President                Lilburn (atlanta) GA 30247             Fax:  978-4741
       uunet!emory!jdyx!mnopltd!neal Or uunet!gatech!stiatl!mnopltd!neal

pricked@vax1.acs.udel.EDU (Jenn-Ming Yang) (03/18/90)

}
}So, I can put one of those 500 watt 15 minute standby UPS systems on my
}processor.  This should ride out a sag or a short drop out.   I can even put
}my surge protector in front of the UPS.   BUT I figure a nearby strike can
}still take out the surge protector, the UPS, and my cpu.
}
}Should I put a ferro-resonant transformer in front of the whole mess?  What
}are general experiences on this?   My goal is to be able to keep working and
}ride out a blackout of up to ten minutes.

You might(better!) want to protect against brownouts also.

--
pricked@vax1.acs.udel.edu (or pricked@192.5.57.1, pricked@192.5.57.129)

kabra437@pallas.athenanet.com (Ken Abrams) (03/19/90)

In article <169@mnopltd.UUCP> gatech!stiatl!mnopltd!neal writes:

>So, I can put one of those 500 watt 15 minute standby UPS systems on my
>processor.  This should ride out a sag or a short drop out.   I can even put
>my surge protector in front of the UPS.   BUT I figure a nearby strike can
>still take out the surge protector, the UPS, and my cpu.

A battery powered UPS is probably the best you can do.  All the rest is
probably overkill (except a surge protector ahead of the UPS might save
the UPS from damage on a minor hit).

If you think you can save yourself from a direct lightning strike that
occurs within a couple of hundred yards of your location, you are fooling
yourself.  NOTHING will prevent damage in that case except having the
system disconnected from ALL external wiring (grounds included).
Lightening is nasty stuff and doesn't follow any rules.

If you MUST keep working during a nasty lightening storm, have a good backup
and insurance (on both the system and your BODY).

Ken Abrams                     uunet!pallas!kabra437
Illinois Bell                  kabra437@athenanet.com
Springfield                    (voice) 217-753-7965

root@rdb1.UUCP (Robert Barrell) (03/21/90)

In article <319@pallas.athenanet.com>, kabra437@pallas.athenanet.com (Ken Abrams) writes:
> If you think you can save yourself from a direct lightning strike that
> occurs within a couple of hundred yards of your location, you are fooling
> yourself.  NOTHING will prevent damage in that case except having the
> system disconnected from ALL external wiring (grounds included).
> Lightening is nasty stuff and doesn't follow any rules.

     As an illustration of Ken's point, let me relate something which actually
happened to my boss's home machine.

     My boss's house is located at the top of a hill, in semi-rural surroundings
(a prime target for lightning strikes - his sattelite dish has already been hit
twice).  He is aware of the proper procedures for preventing lightning damage,
and always disconnects all power cords during a storm.  A year or so ago, a
particularly bad storm arose a few hours after I had just installed a new,
external modem for him.  At the time, I had been short by one wire , so I had
not been able to leave the modem connected to the phone line.  In keeping with
common practice, though, I did set the phone on top of the modem before I left.
When the storm started to approach that night, my boss disconnected all the
power cords to the modem, external tape drive, computer, terminals, etc.  Since
the modem was not connected to the phone line, there was nothing to disconnect
there, yet.  He did NOT, however, disconnect the PHONE from the phone line.
Sure enough, THAT'S what got hit by the lightning.  That would not have been
too bad, but the brand of modem we had just connected (SmartLink - a Hayes look-
alike) had a metal case.  The lightning arc'ed from a rivet in the foot of the
phone, into the case of the modem.  Of course, the case was part of the ground
connection, so the strike quickly blew-out (and arc'ed through) the filter
capacitors for the RS232 lines.  From there, it proceeded directly into the
computer's serial board, melting two IC's and exploding two others.  It also
fried a terminal which had been attached to the second serial port on the same
board, and also managed to fry the primary hard drive (but, oddly enough, NOT
the controller, nor the secondary hard drive).

     All of this happened on a machine where all external connections HAD been
removed, and only the spark-gap between a telephone foot's rivet and a modem's
metal case remained.  BTW, the NEW modem (another brand) has a plastic case,
as does the new phone, and *ALL* connections (including the phone lines) are
removed during a storm.

--
Robert Barrell      | ...!cbmvax!gvlv2!lock60!rdb1!root | Cody Computer Services
Milo's Meadow BBS   | root@rdb1         CIS: 70575,1312 | 55 East High Street