[comp.unix.xenix] any one use the exclan

terry@pride386.UUCP (Terry Lyons) (03/16/90)

Maybe I'm asking the wrong questions
is ANYONE using the exclan(sp) setup that sco pushes as xenix net?
would like to create a distributed file system (with 2+ computers)
I am using sco xenix 2.3.0
I have gotten some suggestions as to changing to AT&T's, if I must I must but
would like to stay with pc clones (386 486 286 )
if no one answers this time I guess I'll have to take the sales dept's word
for it ( last time I did that I became the owner of a TRS80 mdl III ).
opinions PLEASE
terry

*  UUNET	...!pride386!terry       *  FAX	(714) 739 - 2203         *
*  Pern is a dragons best freind                                         *

fff@mplex.UUCP (Fred Fierling) (03/17/90)

In article <248@pride386.UUCP>, terry@pride386.UUCP (Terry Lyons) writes:
> is ANYONE using the exclan(sp) setup that sco pushes as xenix net?
> would like to create a distributed file system (with 2+ computers)

We use Xenix Net with Excelan hardware between a 286 and a 386.  It works as
advertised, but doesn't break LAN performance records.  We find it a bit shaky
when one machine shuts down but that could easily be fixed in the latest
release.  I would suggest you look into NFS though, if I understand correctly
it's much more versatile.
--
Fred Fierling   uunet!van-bc!mplex!fff    Tel: 604 875-1461  Fax: 604 875-9029
Microplex Systems Ltd   265 East 1st Avenue   Vancouver, BC   V5T 1A7,  Canada

danielw@wyn386.mi.org (Daniel Wynalda) (03/19/90)

In article <376@mplex.UUCP> fff@mplex.UUCP (Fred Fierling) writes:
>In article <248@pride386.UUCP>, terry@pride386.UUCP (Terry Lyons) writes:
>> is ANYONE using the exclan(sp) setup that sco pushes as xenix net?
>> would like to create a distributed file system (with 2+ computers)
>
>We use Xenix Net with Excelan hardware between a 286 and a 386.  It works as
>advertised, but doesn't break LAN performance records.  We find it a bit shaky
>when one machine shuts down but that could easily be fixed in the latest
>release.  I would suggest you look into NFS though, if I understand correctly
>it's much more versatile.

We use Xenix-net with Excelan hardware between two 386 boxes running Xenix
and 1 DOS 286.  The file transfer speeds seem to be about the speed
of a floppy drive.  The previous comment mentions looking at NFS.  There
are probably advantages to both schemas.  One thing that I find useful
with Xenix-Net that you don't get with NFS is access to remote devices.

Because the ENTIRE FILESYSTEM of the remote computer is on your system,
you can access all of the devices etc as well.   For example, I use
a modem on one machine from a terminal program on the other machine.
It works very well.  It is, as mentioned, usable but not a screamer.
I would recommend it though.  All of the excelan utilities work well
as well (ftp, telnet, rlogin, rsh, rpr etc)

			Daniel Wynalda

--
Daniel Wynalda 	     | Telephone: (616) 866-1561 X22	 Ham: N8KUD
Wynalda Litho Inc.   | danielw@wyn386.UUCP danielw@wyn386.mi.org

itkin@mrspoc.Transact.COM (Steven M. List) (03/20/90)

terry@pride386.UUCP (Terry Lyons) writes:

>Maybe I'm asking the wrong questions
>is ANYONE using the exclan(sp) setup that sco pushes as xenix net?
>would like to create a distributed file system (with 2+ computers)
>I am using sco xenix 2.3.0
>I have gotten some suggestions as to changing to AT&T's, if I must I must but
>would like to stay with pc clones (386 486 286 )
>if no one answers this time I guess I'll have to take the sales dept's word
>for it ( last time I did that I became the owner of a TRS80 mdl III ).
>opinions PLEASE

We are using SCO XENIX 2.3.2GT with XENIX-NET and Excelan cards and
TCP/IP software.  It works fine.  We've installed and tuned SMAIL 3.x
and do file transfers and have some PC's hooked up and...

No problems that we're aware of.
 :                Steven List @ Transact Software, Inc. :^>~                  :
 :           Chairman, Unify User Group of Northern California                :
 :     {apple,coherent,limbo,mips,pyramid,ubvax}!itkin@guinan.Transact.COM    :

ron@rdk386.uucp (Ron Kuris) (03/21/90)

In article <248@pride386.UUCP> terry@pride386.UUCP (Terry Lyons) writes:
>Maybe I'm asking the wrong questions
>is ANYONE using the exclan(sp) setup that sco pushes as xenix net?
>would like to create a distributed file system (with 2+ computers)
>I am using sco xenix 2.3.0
>I have gotten some suggestions as to changing to AT&T's, if I must I must but
>would like to stay with pc clones (386 486 286 )
>if no one answers this time I guess I'll have to take the sales dept's word
>for it ( last time I did that I became the owner of a TRS80 mdl III ).
>opinions PLEASE
>terry

Excellan(sp?) is horrible!  Trying to get mail to go through a machine like
is nearly impossible.  Problems I had were:

(1) Performance for a 'connect' is horrible.  They had an 8 processor
sequent on the other side and it still takes 10+ seconds to connect.

(2) rlogin equivalency doesn't work at all, regardless of your .rhosts files.

(3) There is no sendmail; instead, a kludgy smtp.config file which doesn't
have enough of the RFC's built into it.  Example:  Comments are treated
incorrectly in From: and To: lines.

(4) Due to the architecture, its nearly impossible to install something like
smail on top of this system.

(5) The front end 'mail' software they provide doesn't even understand
'foo@bar'.

All in all, I would much rather work with the Lachman TCP/IP stuff.  The
beta version I saw had fewer bugs (AND you get sendmail).

/-----------------------------------\/\/\/\
| {unify|{sactoh0!siva}}!rdk386!ron | o o |
| Cut this out and present it to me |  -  |
| for a FREE $20.00 bill!  Expires  | awk |
| upon presentation.                |     |
\-----------------------------------/     \
--
/-----------------------------------\/\/\/\

mark@promark.UUCP (Mark J. DeFilippis) (03/21/90)

In article <212@wyn386.mi.org>, danielw@wyn386.mi.org (Daniel Wynalda) writes:

> We use Xenix-net with Excelan hardware between two 386 boxes running Xenix
> and 1 DOS 286.  The file transfer speeds seem to be about the speed
> of a floppy drive.  The previous comment mentions looking at NFS.  There
>
> Because the ENTIRE FILESYSTEM of the remote computer is on your system,
> you can access all of the devices etc as well.   For example, I use

You say the "ENTIRE FILESYSTEM".  I have a question for you.  If I have
a DBMS physically on one machine, can I run an application against the
database on the remote machine?  Assuming I have a way to tell the DBMS
what the path to the DBMS is.

For example, INFORMIX-ESQL/C.  If I specify on the local machine in an
environment, DBPATH=/u/whatever, will the application work if I
specify DBPATH=machine!/u/whatever?  Anyone know the answer to this?

What kind of performance degradation am I looking at?  I would think
a DBMS would not care where the data is comming from, and the request would
be mapped to the device driverat the kernel level where the tcp/ip stuff-ola
is happening?

--
Mark J. DeFilippis
SA @ Department of Mathematics and Computer Science

In article <376@mplex.UUCP> fff@mplex.UUCP (Fred Fierling) writes:

|           I would suggest you look into NFS though, if I understand correctly
| it's much more versatile.

  I believe that SCO has decided not to sell the NFS product for Xenix.
I suspect that this was a marketing decision, although the version they
have may be buggy in some non-obvious way.
    sysop *IX BBS and Public Access UNIX
    moderator of comp.binaries.ibm.pc
"Getting old is bad, but it beats the hell out of the alternative" -anon