[comp.unix.xenix] SCO UNIX 3.2 & uucico

deanr@lakesys.lakesys.com (Dean Roth) (03/23/90)

A site I need to call is using 7 bits and even parity.
Uucico uses 8 bits, no parity.  How do I get uucico to
use 7 bits, even parity?

I am running SCO's UNIX System V revision 3.2.

Thank you.

Dean
deanr@lakesys.lakesys.com

itkin@mrspoc.Transact.COM (Steven M. List) (03/26/90)

deanr@lakesys.lakesys.com (Dean Roth) writes:

>A site I need to call is using 7 bits and even parity.
>Uucico uses 8 bits, no parity.  How do I get uucico to
>use 7 bits, even parity?

>I am running SCO's UNIX System V revision 3.2.

The settings for parity, data bits, and stop bits are all set through
the DIALER programs.  Look at the *.c files in /usr/lib/uucp.  There's
one for the Telebit, and it documents each of the settings, including
these three, and tells you which register is being set.

A quick mod to create a version of the dialer program, an addition to
the Devices file, and you can use a different dialer for this (and other
odd) site.
 :                Steven List @ Transact Software, Inc. :^>~                  :
 :           Chairman, Unify User Group of Northern California                :
 :     {apple,coherent,limbo,mips,pyramid,ubvax}!itkin@guinan.Transact.COM    :

campbell@Thalatta.COM (Bill Campbell) (03/27/90)

In article <1776@lakesys.lakesys.com> deanr@lakesys.lakesys.com (Dean Roth) writes:

>A site I need to call is using 7 bits and even parity.
>Uucico uses 8 bits, no parity.  How do I get uucico to
>use 7 bits, even parity?
>
>I am running SCO's UNIX System V revision 3.2.

I had the same problem connecting to Sun workstations running Xenix 2.2.6.
The problem did not affect uucp since it seems to handle that OK on its
own, but was ugly using cu.

For a long time I would call with cu and just type in the correct responses
at what I took to be the login and password prompts, then had the
appropriate stty statement in my .cshrc file on the Sun.

When I updated last week to Xenix 2.3.3 I found the -e option to cu!
This allows me to specify the parity when I invoke cu and now I can
read those prompts and even the first part of my fortune when the
system starts.
--
....microsoft--\                    Bill Campbell; Celestial Software
...uw-beaver-----!thebes!camco!bill 6641 East Mercer Way