[comp.unix.xenix] Korn shell availability?

jackb@hpfinote.HP.COM (Jack Benzel) (03/22/90)

Re: Korn shell available?

I have become very attached to using the Korn shell's command line editing
features on my system at work and would like to get it for a system I'm
setting up for my church which is running SCO Xenix/386 2.3.2.  Where can I
get ksh and what could I expect to pay for it?

Jack Benzel
jack_benzel@hpfcla.HP.COM

jsnyder@lehi3b15.csee.Lehigh.EDU (Jay Snyder) (03/23/90)

There is a program called cled that redefines the line I/O discipline.
I just installed it on my system, and it works great.  Line editing like
DOS's CED or DOSEDIT (also like that of a VAX/VMS).

I got it from a friend who (appears to have) got it off the NET, as it
was in several SHARS, when I find out where I got it, I'll let you know,
else, I'll post it.
Jay A. Snyder       jsnyder@lehi3b15.csee.lehigh.edu
CSEE Dept.	          lehi3b15!jsnyder
Lehigh University

chip@chinacat.Unicom.COM (Chip Rosenthal) (03/24/90)

<15030012@hpfinote.HP.COM> jackb@hpfinote.HP.COM (Jack Benzel) writes:
>Where can I get ksh [for XENIX] and what could I expect to pay for it?

Aspen Technologies has one.  I got it.  It mostly works.  I'm so pissed
off with these people that I will never purchase another product from them,
nor recommend it for my clients.  Too bad, because ksh would be nice to
have under XENIX.

I picked up a copy from somebody who was getting out of XENIX.  I called
up Aspen to notify them of the change of address and ask about their
upgrade policy.  Instead, I got a reading of the riot act which covered
everything from the importance of shrinkwrap licenses to the scourge of
software piracy in the Far East.  Apparently they seem to feel that their
software is a ball and chain, and once you buy it, you are stuck with
it.  If the day comes where you can't use it, too bad, all you can do is
throw it in your closet and let it gather dust.

I'm tempted to get one direct from the AT&T Toolchest and get that going.
But in the mean time, I guess I'm stuck with a copy which kind of works,
so long as you don't push it so it stack faults.

Maybe I can sell you my copy :-)

--
Chip Rosenthal                            |  Yes, you're a happy man and you're
chip@chinacat.Unicom.COM                  |  a lucky man, but are you a smart

nvk@ddsw1.MCS.COM (Norman Kohn) (03/27/90)

In article <1114@chinacat.Unicom.COM> chip@chinacat.Unicom.COM (Chip Rosenthal) writes:
><15030012@hpfinote.HP.COM> jackb@hpfinote.HP.COM (Jack Benzel) writes:
>>Where can I get ksh [for XENIX] and what could I expect to pay for it?

>Aspen Technologies has one.  I got it.  It mostly works.  I'm so pissed
>off with these people that I will never purchase another product from them,
>nor recommend it for my clients.  Too bad, because ksh would be nice to
>have under XENIX.
>
>I picked up a copy from somebody who was getting out of XENIX.  I called
>up Aspen to notify them of the change of address and ask about their
>upgrade policy.  Instead, I got a reading of the riot act which covered
>everything from the importance of shrinkwrap licenses to the scourge of
>software piracy in the Far East.  Apparently they seem to feel that their
>software is a ball and chain, and once you buy it, you are stuck with
>it.  If the day comes where you can't use it, too bad, all you can do is
>throw it in your closet and let it gather dust.
>
>I'm tempted to get one direct from the AT&T Toolchest and get that going.
>But in the mean time, I guess I'm stuck with a copy which kind of works,
>so long as you don't push it so it stack faults.
>
>Maybe I can sell you my copy :-)
>
>--
>Chip Rosenthal                            |  Yes, you're a happy man and you're
>chip@chinacat.Unicom.COM                  |  a lucky man, but are you a smart
>Unicom Systems Development, 512-482-8260  |  man?  -David Bromberg

ksh was part of the last microport 386 unix, and was available through
their bbs to registered users.  I don't know the copy right status of
the bbs version; some of the uport bbs software is still available
through the bbs and may be archived on other systems.  Microport
answers their phone (at least, <someone> answers it...); perhaps they're
able to sell it more reasonably.. at least, with more reasonable conditions..
than Aspen.
--
Norman Kohn   		| ...ddsw1!nvk
Chicago, Il.		| days/ans svc: (312) 650-6840

chip@chinacat.Unicom.COM (Chip Rosenthal) (03/27/90)

nvk@ddsw1.MCS.COM (Norman Kohn) writes:
>chip@chinacat.Unicom.COM (Chip Rosenthal) writes:
>>Aspen Technologies has one.  I got it.  [summary: I'm sorry I did.]
>ksh was part of the last microport 386 unix, and was available through
>their bbs to registered users.

There are probably licensing problems going that way.

As John Temples <jtw!john@uunet.uu.net> pointed out to me in mail, MKS
has one which is bundled with nawk and crypt.  It sounds like it's a tad
over $100 for the "Trilogy".  I haven't used it, but I'm familiar with their
"Toolkit" package, and it is a delight.  It's probably worth checking into.

--

In article <1118@chinacat.Unicom.COM> chip@chinacat.Unicom.COM (Chip Rosenthal) writes:
>nvk@ddsw1.MCS.COM (Norman Kohn) writes:
>>chip@chinacat.Unicom.COM (Chip Rosenthal) writes:
>>>Aspen Technologies has one.  I got it.  [summary: I'm sorry I did.]
>>ksh was part of the last microport 386 unix, and was available through
>>their bbs to registered users.
>
>There are probably licensing problems going that way.

Actually not under some circumstances.  We have a Microbug 386 license,
and since it included ksh, we just loaded that one file off the distribution
media.  No trouble at all, and it's >not< stolen that way.  Perfectly legal.
It's the only Microport software we still use :-)  Should the lawyers come a
knocking, we simply show them original Microport distribution media and
manuals; that ought to do the job :-)

That >might< work for the 286 stuff; I don't know how good I386's emulator
is for 80286 COFF binaries (or if there even is one).  Microport did
distribute ksh for both systems.....

The only drawback is that it is rumored to not have "emacs" mode, but that
doesn't matter to me since I really only want "vi" mode anyway for history
editing :-)

>As John Temples <jtw!john@uunet.uu.net> pointed out to me in mail, MKS
>has one which is bundled with nawk and crypt.  It sounds like it's a tad
>over $100 for the "Trilogy".  I haven't used it, but I'm familiar with their
>"Toolkit" package, and it is a delight.  It's probably worth checking into.

That might be a good option... be warned, though, that the MSDOS version of
vi has some interesting "ideas" about certain commands and circumstances
-- like ":r" always reads in at the end of the buffer, regardless of where
the "current" pointer is!

--
Karl Denninger (karl@ddsw1.MCS.COM, <well-connected>!ddsw1!karl)
Public Access Data Line: [+1 708 566-8911], Voice: [+1 708 566-8910]