[comp.unix.xenix] Xenix ps:seek error HELP !!!

motti@ocsmd.ocs.com (Motti Bazar) (03/22/90)

I have a very big problem. A few days ago, when doing ps on my machine
(ALR 386/25, 4MB mem, 300MB hd, Telebit TB+) I got the message
ps:seek error. If I boot the machine its ok but a day or so later
it comes again. The machine is running Xenix 386 2.3.1 with SCO TCP
(wd8003 controller). I think I remember something posted about here in
the past. Any help will be thanked a lot !!!

Thanks in advance ... Motti

uunet!ocsmd!motti

russ@bbx.UUCP (Russ Kepler) (03/23/90)

In article <863@ocsmd.ocs.com> motti@ocsmd.ocs.com (Motti Bazar) writes:
>I have a very big problem. A few days ago, when doing ps on my machine
>(ALR 386/25, 4MB mem, 300MB hd, Telebit TB+) I got the message
>ps:seek error. If I boot the machine its ok but a day or so later
>it comes again. The machine is running Xenix 386 2.3.1 with SCO TCP
>(wd8003 controller). I think I remember something posted about here in
>the past. Any help will be thanked a lot !!!

Here's a file from SCO that will take care of both of the folks
posting today with this problem:

List of SLS files available for transfer using UUCP

UUCP Connection information:

Machine name: sosco

Phone numbers: (408) 425-3502 (300-2400 baud)
	       (408) 429-1786 (9600 baud Telebit)

Login name: uusls   (forth character is the letter "l" rather than numeral "1")
No password

Below is a list of the Support Level Supplements available for UUCP
request in the directory /usr/spool/uucppublic/SLS.  The files ending
in .z have been reduced in size using the SCO XENIX pack(C) utility.
These files must first be unpacked using unpack(C).  Files ending
in .ltr are the cover letters and installation instructions for
the corresponding Supplements.  The cover letters assume you have
received the Supplements on diskette.  To install a Supplement, you
must first transfer it to a diskette using this procecure:

    1. Request UUCP to transfer to your system the SLS file and cover
       letter file for the desired supplement.  When issuing the UUCP
       command, do not use wildcards or the ~ (tilde) character, as
       they will result in a "PERMISSION DENIED" error message.  Also,
       be sure that the user "uucp" has write permission on the destination
       file and directory, and UUCP is allowed access to the destination
       directory by your local /usr/lib/uucp/Permissions file.

    2. Expand one or both of the files as necessary using unpack(C).

    3. Format a diskette that is large enough to contain the
       supplement file.

    4. Use the dd(C) command to transfer the supplement file to the
       diskette.  For example, if the supplement file is "xnx102" and
       is in the /usr/spool/uucppublic directory on your system, and
       the diskette is a 5.25-inch, 360K, the command would be:

           dd if=/usr/spool/uucppublic/xnx102 of=/dev/fd048ds9

        Substitute the appropriate device name for "/dev/fd048ds9" if
	transferring to a diskette of another capacity.  However, always
	use the block device.  The diskette must be formatted using
	the format(C) command before the data can be transferred.

     5. Follow the installation instructions given in the cover letter file.

[some text deleted]

File name       Size(bytes)	Description

[deleted text]

xnx120.z           36527        ps seek Supplement
xnx120.ltr          1164        version 2.3.0 - 2.3.1     n386

[more deletion]

gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn) (03/23/90)

In article <863@ocsmd.ocs.com> motti@ocsmd.ocs.com (Motti Bazar) writes:
>I have a very big problem. A few days ago, when doing ps on my machine

Maybe you shouldn't ps on your machine

:-)

chris@choreo.COM.COM (Chris Hare / System Manager) (03/24/90)

In article <863@ocsmd.ocs.com>, motti@ocsmd.ocs.com (Motti Bazar) writes:
> I have a very big problem. A few days ago, when doing ps on my machine
> (ALR 386/25, 4MB mem, 300MB hd, Telebit TB+) I got the message
> ps:seek error. If I boot the machine its ok but a day or so later
> it comes again. The machine is running Xenix 386 2.3.1 with SCO TCP
> (wd8003 controller). I think I remember something posted about here in
> the past. Any help will be thanked a lot !!!

This is the second time in as many days that I have responded to this
question, so I will post the answer.

Call SCO and ask for Support Level Supplement, xnx120 which is a new
/bin/ps binary and corrects the problem.

Chris Hare, Co-ordinator, Systems Management         *** IT WORKS FOR ME! ***
Authorized SCO Instructor
Choreo Systems Inc.                                  500-150 Laurier Ave W.
                                                     Ottawa, Ontario K1P 5J4
E-MAIL ...!choreo!chris                              Voice (613) 238-1050
                                                     Fax   (613) 238-4453

bob@consult.UUCP (Bob Willey) (03/27/90)

In article <863@ocsmd.ocs.com> motti@ocsmd.ocs.com (Motti Bazar) writes:
>I have a very big problem. A few days ago, when doing ps on my machine
>(ALR 386/25, 4MB mem, 300MB hd, Telebit TB+) I got the message
>ps:seek error. If I boot the machine its ok but a day or so later
>it comes again. The machine is running Xenix 386 2.3.1 with SCO TCP
>(wd8003 controller). I think I remember something posted about here in
>the past. Any help will be thanked a lot !!!
>uunet!ocsmd!motti

This is a known problem in SCO V2.3.1
Several things you can do:
1. Upgrade to 2.3.2 (works fine then)
2. There is a patch (available via anonymous uucp)
   available from SCO for 2.3.1 to correct this problem

You are not going crazy, it is a real problem.
But very easy to correct.

   ... uunet!consult!bob ...