[comp.unix.xenix] Backing up hard disk for transfer t

neese@adaptex.UUCP (03/16/90)

>My question is basically: What is the best utility/procedure to use so that
>the contents of the 80 megabyte drive can be transfered to the 330 megabyte
>drive with a minimum of system disruption?
>
>Before I go on I should probably say that I do have a magnetic tape drive
>on the machine (Mountain).
>
>My main concern is not the /u filesystem because I plan on just using tar
>to dump that to a couple of tapes.  My real concern is the root filesystem
>because of problems(rumors) that I have heard regarding the ability of SCO's
>tar to handle the /dev directory and other special files.

I use CTAR.  It is a program from MicroLite.  It has all the stuff tar
has and will backup any type of file.  It will also do file compressinn
on the fly.  If compression is not used, it will create a tape that the
standard tar can handle (as long as the same blocking factor is used for
both).  It also has a program that will generate a boot disk that can be
used for restoring the root filesystem as well.  Slick utility.  I do not
have an address or phone number, but if anyone is interested, let me know
and I will get it.

			Roy Neese
			Adaptec Central Field Applications Engineer
			UUCP @ {texbell,attctc}!cpe!adaptex!neese
				merch!adaptex!neese
				uunet!swbatl!texbell!merch!adaptex!neese

bob@consult.UUCP (Bob Willey) (03/27/90)

In article <26300001@adaptex> neese@adaptex.UUCP writes:
>I use CTAR.  It is a program from MicroLite.  It has all the stuff tar
>has and will backup any type of file.  It will also do file compressinn
>on the fly.  If compression is not used, it will create a tape that the
>standard tar can handle (as long as the same blocking factor is used for
>both).  It also has a program that will generate a boot disk that can be
>used for restoring the root filesystem as well.  Slick utility.  I do not

We also use CTAR inhouse and on ALL customer sites.
It is a very nice backup program with a lot of options,
including creating a rootable/bootable disk with YOUR kernel
and YOUR drivers, so when you boot from the diskette you have
direct access to your devices (like the mandatory tape drive!!).

Makes the backup more reliable and easier to retreive in the
event of a disaster.

(We are not affilliated with Microlite, other than a happy customer)
  .. uunet!consult!bob ..