[comp.unix.xenix] Colorado Memory Systems Tapes from boot floppies

campbell@Thalatta.COM (Bill Campbell) (03/27/90)

I have been unable to access the CMS ``Jumbo'' tape drive from bootable
floppies on Xenix 2.3.3.  Yes, I did make the boot floppies after
installing the jtape drivers.

When I try the command ``tar -tvf /dev/rmt0'' I get the message
from tar that it cannot open /dev/rmt0.  Has anyone made this work?
--
....microsoft--\                    Bill Campbell; Celestial Software
...uw-beaver-----!thebes!camco!bill 6641 East Mercer Way

morrison@ficc.uu.net (Brad Morrison) (03/27/90)

In article <3569@thebes.Thalatta.COM> campbell@Thalatta.COM (Bill Campbell) writes:
>When I try the command ``tar -tvf /dev/rmt0'' I get the message
>from tar that it cannot open /dev/rmt0.  Has anyone made this work?

Is /dev/rmt0 really out there?  Although you linked in the drivers for
the tape drive, you need the device.  You can hack your diskettes, but
you may want to change your boot-diskette-building scripts to always
mknod /dev/rmt0, or perhaps copy it from your winchester's dev directory.
--
Brad Morrison                (713) 274-5449 |   "OK.  Come back tomorrow.
Ferranti International Controls Corporation |    Bring two apples and

phil@lgnp1.LS.COM (Phil Eschallier) (03/29/90)

In article <3569@thebes.Thalatta.COM> campbell@Thalatta.COM (Bill Campbell) writes:
>I have been unable to access the CMS ``Jumbo'' tape drive from bootable
>floppies on Xenix 2.3.3.  Yes, I did make the boot floppies after
>installing the jtape drivers.
>
>When I try the command ``tar -tvf /dev/rmt0'' I get the message
>from tar that it cannot open /dev/rmt0.  Has anyone made this work?

	try looking in your /dev directory (on you hard disk) for the
	device numbers (maj and min) for rmt0 then mknod that device on
	your bootable floppy.

	all should work then.

	phil eschallier

mikej@lilink.com (Michael R. Johnston) (03/29/90)

In article <3569@thebes.Thalatta.COM> campbell@Thalatta.COM (Bill Campbell) writes:
>I have been unable to access the CMS ``Jumbo'' tape drive from bootable
>floppies on Xenix 2.3.3.  Yes, I did make the boot floppies after
>installing the jtape drivers.
>
>When I try the command ``tar -tvf /dev/rmt0'' I get the message
>from tar that it cannot open /dev/rmt0.  Has anyone made this work?

You have to make the device files as well. It works for me once you do a

	mknod /dev/rmt0 c 17 0

--
Michael R. Johnston                   mikej@lilink.com
Lilink Communications                 rutgers!lilink!mikej