[comp.unix.xenix] bug in sort

usenet@carssdf.UUCP (John Watson) (04/09/90)

Has anyone else come up with a bug in the built in sort utility that causes
it to crash (SEG.Violation) on large files >10Mb when it begins the mrge
phase.  If a -z150 option is used (record size is 120 at max) the frequency
of failures is reduced, but some files still crash the sort. Am I  the
first, or is there a known fix floating around.

PS is SCO's sosco machine still on 408-425-3502 ?  I get no answer.

    John Watson

rogerk@sco.COM (Roger Knopf 5502) (04/10/90)

In article <240@carssdf.UUCP> usenet@carssdf.UUCP (John Watson) writes:
>Has anyone else come up with a bug in the built in sort utility that causes
>it to crash (SEG.Violation) on large files >10Mb when it begins the mrge
>phase.  If a -z150 option is used (record size is 120 at max) the frequency
>of failures is reduced, but some files still crash the sort. Am I  the
>first, or is there a known fix floating around.
>
>PS is SCO's sosco machine still on 408-425-3502 ?  I get no answer.

I'll save you a dial-in if you wanted to search the problems/solutions
database, there are no articles referring to this. I've never heard
of it before. I would guess your best recourse is to log a problem
report and find out how they want to get the file....

Roger Knopf
SCO Consulting Services
--

"His potential clients were always giving him the business."
	--Robert Thornton