[comp.unix.xenix] 80386 motherboards

jim@bahamut.fsc.com (James O'Connor) (04/10/90)

In article <379@mplex.UUCP>, fff@mplex.UUCP (Fred Fierling) writes:
> I would appreciate hearing from anyone who has had experience running Xenix on
> a Jameco JE3520 80386 AT motherboard replacement (20 MHz, no cache).  Things
> like:
>
> - does it work with Xenix?
> - documentation any good?
> - quality of construction?
> - vendor support?

We use many of the motherboards sold by Jameco.  I don't have my catalog
handy, but I can describe them.  They are all manufactured by American
Megatrends, Incorporated, who also supplies a lot of 386 BIOS systems.
We have in our company 2 16-MHz with cache, one 20 MHz without cache, and 2
33-MHz with cache.  All three boards run Xenix and Unix just fine, although
the caching boards loose access to a little bit (128k, I think) due to the
"Shadow BIOS" feature.  I think the 20MHz no cache board actually lets Xenix
see all the RAM.

The first 33MHz board we bought has been a little flaky lately, but the one
we just bought (installed last Saturday, 4/7) had a newer BIOS revision
(which is even nicer the older version, which already included built-in
setup and diagnostic routines) and it seems to be working just great.

The only real trouble I've had with any of these boards is getting a Bell
Tech ACE serial port board to work with the 33MHz motherboard, but I think
the real trouble is that the ACE board is damaged.  Everything else works
great, and everything else includes SCSI adapters, Ethernet boards, and
all kinds of serial ports.

I recommend the AMI boards highly.
James B. O'Connor			Work:	jim@tiamat.fsc.com
Data Processing Manager  		Play:   jim@bahamut.fsc.com
Ahlstrom Filtration, Inc.		UUCP:	uunet!tiamat!jim