[comp.unix.xenix] configure failures with 4-Character site name

kmcvay@oneb.UUCP (Ken McVay) (04/09/90)

After posting a message about configure's failure to update my
kernel after using option #10 to add "oneb", I received some insteresting
mail, which suggested that the problem was a bug in Xenix (I run 386 GT
version) that wouldn't process a 4-character site name. To my regret,
in trying to solve the problem (being a rookie didn't help) I managed
to lose the boot drive, and the credit has to remain anon...

But I did test the notion, and found it was correct. If I changed my sitename
to "onebb" and went through configure, it exited, compiled, and smiled.

Amazing.

Now, my bbs source tells me that I >MUST< educate this kernel of mine,
or my akcs system simply won't work properly, and neither will smail.

Is there another way to fix this, or am I going to have to change my
site name? I've been told I can compile a new kernel - can someone
tell me what's required (before I manage to zap my system again :-))

pmb@sequim.UUCP (Peter Black) (04/10/90)

In article <3@oneb.UUCP>, kmcvay@oneb.UUCP (Ken McVay) writes:
> After posting a message about configure's failure to update my
> kernel after using option #10 to add "oneb", I received some insteresting
> mail, which suggested that the problem was a bug in Xenix (I run 386 GT
> version) that wouldn't process a 4-character site name.
>
> Is there another way to fix this, or am I going to have to change my
> site name? I've been told I can compile a new kernel - can someone
> tell me what's required (before I manage to zap my system again :-))

I am also having difficulty with 386 GT and a Wangtek 150 meg tape drive,
xnx149 was installed.  Restore finds the file inode(s) to restore, asks
for the volume number then says the tape is not a backup volume.  This
is a new machine and it may be a hardware problem.  Has anyone else had
this kind of problem with 386 GT or the Wangtek 150 meg tape drive?

Peter M. Black, Peter M. Black Real Estate Co., Inc.
P.O. Box 2227, 315 E. Washington Street, Sequim, WA 98382
Voice (PDT): (206) 683-1171 or 800-962-7307, FAX: (206) 683-5415
E-Mail: uunet!sequim!pmb