[comp.unix.xenix] Using SLIP with SCO Xenix/Unix

bill@polygen.uucp (Bill Poitras) (03/24/90)

Does anyone know if there is a way to run a SLIP program on a IBM computer
running SCO Xenix/Unix, with a multi-port serial board.  I want to be able to
allow multiple users dial into the serial ports and then run a package that
supports SLIP running MS-DOS such as FTP's PC/TCP, or a public package, such
as PCIP.  The Xenix/Unix will most likely be running Excelan's LAN Workplace forXenix/Unix, for TCP/IP software.  Any help would greatly be appreciated.

+-----------------+---------------------------+-----------------------------+
| Bill Poitras    | Polygen Corporation       | {princeton mit-eddie        |
|     (bill)      | Waltham, MA USA           |  bu sunne}!polygen!bill     |
|                 |                           | bill@polygen.com            |
+-----------------+---------------------------+-----------------------------+

chip@tct.uucp (Chip Salzenberg) (03/27/90)

According to bill@polygen.UUCP (Bill Poitras):
>Does anyone know if there is a way to run a SLIP program on a IBM computer
>running SCO Xenix/Unix, with a multi-port serial board.

SCO TCP/IP for Xenix supports SLIP.  It works; I've used it.  However,
be warned: SCO SLIP works *only* with SCO serial drivers, so it will
*not* work with intelligent boards that come with their own drivers.
If you want lots of SLIP ports, you'll need lots of dumb ports,
perhaps with a multi-dumb-port board such as the one sold by Arnet.
--
Chip Salzenberg at ComDev/TCT   <chip%tct@ateng.com>, <uunet!ateng!tct!chip>
          "The Usenet, in a very real sense, does not exist."

jtc@van-bc.UUCP (J.T. Conklin) (03/28/90)

In article <260F7FA9.4661@tct.uucp> chip@tct.uucp (Chip Salzenberg) writes:
>SCO TCP/IP for Xenix supports SLIP.  It works; I've used it.  However,
>be warned: SCO SLIP works *only* with SCO serial drivers, so it will
>*not* work with intelligent boards that come with their own drivers.

Not true.  We use a Bell Tech HUB-6 card w/16550's and a driver developed
by Stuart Lynne for our SLIP link.  The driver was written before we had
SLIP, so I'm pretty sure nothing special had to be done to get it to work.

	--jtc
--
J.T. Conklin
	...!{uunet,ubc-cs}!van-bc!jtc, jtc@wimsey.bc.ca

ccw@deakin.OZ.AU (Craig Warren) (03/28/90)

As an aside, has anyone got a PD dialup slip for SCO Xenix?

thinman@cup.portal.com (Lance C Norskog) (04/11/90)

Streamlined TCP/IP also supports SL/IP under SCO Xenix and SCO Unix.
It's architected as 2 pieces: 1) the slip pushable module processes
network device driver (LLI) messages at the top and a 2-way stream
of bytes at the bottom, and 2) the TTR (TTY Remora module) is a
Streams device driver at the top and a UNIX line discipline at the bottom.
If a multi-port card supports alternate line disciplines (always iffy,
but if you can make the SCO event stuff work with a mouse, the TTR should work.
)
The software can be set up to handle dial-ins via a special accounts
(one account per client IP address), but does not auto-dial.

This architecture is inefficient, essentially because you can't tell a
standard UNIX serial driver to spool a thousand bytes in a low-level queue
until it sees the SL/IP inter-packet marker; the TTR has to spool
them up instead, incurring software overhead.  Of course, BSD doesn't
handle this either.  The right way to handle this is with a Streams
serial driver which can be told to do the spooling.

The only public-domain SL/IP device driver posted ran all the data out to
a user program.  This has got to be much slower than the above architecture.

Lance Norskog
Sales Engineer
Streamlined Networks
408-727-9909u!