[comp.unix.xenix] VCR backup

mikey@shuksan.UUCP (Mike Fields) (04/10/90)

In article <6064@ozdaltx.UUCP>, root@ozdaltx.UUCP (root) writes:
> The other day I received an advertisment from a company in Seattle
> called Omnitronix. (800-765-5576).  Their product is a board that
> allows one to back up their system using a VCR.  The price is
> certainly good, less than 180.00.
>
> They list DOS, Xenix, PIC, Macintosh and Amiga.
>
> Has anyone used or is familiar with this product?
> thanks....
> Scotty
> ------
> AIDS INFORMATION EXCHANGE BBS      (214) 247-2367/247-5609
>                "Education is the best weapon"
>             {uunet,smu,ames}!sulaco!ozdaltx!sysop

I have one of their boards and it seems to work ok HOWEVER, I can not
get them to call me back with a solution to a problem with their
'findrom' program.   According to their program, I have rom at
c000,c200,c400 and RAM from c600 up to de00 (these are segment addresses).
I started experimenting and wrote a little program in C to check these
addresses (their board is memory mapped and jumper selectable in this
range).  My program shows c000,c200 and c400 as rom but c600 as avail
(all ff's for 16 bytes) and c800-d3ff RAM and d400 up being all ff's.
Since this is quite a bit different from their results, I called them and
asked to talk to either the person who wrote the program or someone who
was familiar with it.  Someone would call me RSN (real soon now).  So far,
I have been called once - they wanted some information I had on the sony
control L spec - when I suggested that we trade information, he said sure.
Next call is where is sony info - approx 10 calls from me later (over
a 1 month time frame) - still no info on why my program is different than
what they came up with.  Until I find out who is wrong, I will not leave
their board in my system!  The board is not too bad and seems to work OK
although it was a bit fussy with the brand of video tape I used.  Their
backup software while not fancy seems to be ok - you have the option of
select all files, all files with archive bit set, wildcards for all dirs,

select files for individ. dirs and clear all file selections.  During backup,
you can not clear archive bits, clear archive bits, clear all archive bits.

For what it is worth!!

--
Mikey (yes "he likes it!")

jsnyder@lehi3b15.csee.Lehigh.EDU (Jay Snyder) (04/11/90)

You state that your program found RAM from c800-d3ff, this
can't be right, because the Hard Drive Controller's BIOS starts
at C800:0000  (remeber g=c800:5 from the old days to do low-level
format of HD?)

Jay A. Snyder       jsnyder@lehi3b15.csee.lehigh.edu
CSEE Dept.	    jsnyder%gdx@lehi3b15.csee.lehigh.edu
Lehigh University